PDA

View Full Version : vu+ duo or Solo

kingo
23-08-10, 16:22
first off would like to say hi to everyone.

I am looking to get my first linux box, I am currently using a spiderbox that I must say is Crap, freezes on turning off and often disconects from ccam servers, but dont ask about it on alsat lol as its always your fault and your ip server.

Anyway, ive not had it a week and have asked the supplier for an RMA, now after being a bit more thorough in my search i have decided go with the solo or duo, I only have one dish that is motorised using usals so will only be using one tuner, is it worth spending more on the Duo, what other features does it have over the solo other than the extra tuner in real world use?

I only want to spend once this time so would like to get it right.

Thanks for any advice.

world-of-satellite.co.uk
23-08-10, 16:49
Before recommending either I'd like to ask the following: -

1. Would you consider changing your LNB for a twin output LNB and run a second feed to the receiver?
2. Do you or do you intend to do much recording?

kingo
23-08-10, 16:53
Before recommending either I'd like to ask the following: -

1. Would you consider changing your LNB for a twin output LNB and run a second feed to the receiver?
2. Do you or do you intend to do much recording?

I had not planned on changing the lnb as frightend i may knock the dish out changing it but its and option and to be honest we dont record that much but the function would be nice in the future, think the only reason we have not is the dvd recorder went up the spout and we dont have sky plus

world-of-satellite.co.uk
23-08-10, 17:02
I had not planned on changing the lnb and to be honest we dont record that much but the function would be nice in the future, think the only reason we have not is the dvd recorder went up the spout and we dont have sky plus

OK. Lets look at the scenarios of owning either receiver.

VU+ Duo

To get the most out of the Duo I would change you LNB so that you had 2 feeds to the receiver. Use something like this http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/LNB/Inverto-Quattro-LNB Now with a feed to each tuner you could watch one channel whilst recording another on the same satellite. SATA HDD can be fitted internally.

VU+ Solo

Now if your not going to change the LNB you could record one channel and watch another on the same transponder. You could use either a USB Pen drive or external USB HDD with it own power supply for recording.

Performance wise there's not much between them. Software wise the Duo has more choice at the moment. All really depends on budget, LNB and if your going to be recording a lot. We're currently offering a £10 discount on the Solo to forum members. So that £289.99 with free uk delivery.

kingo
23-08-10, 17:14
thanks for the advice, just a quick question as i am quite new to all this, why would I need a quad lnb and not dual lnb as there are only 2 connections on the back of the duo.

world-of-satellite.co.uk
23-08-10, 17:16
thanks for the advice, just a quick question as i am quite new to all this, why would I need a quad lnb and not dual lnb as there are only 2 connections on the back of the duo.

I recommended the QUAD because it only costs £1 more than a twin output. So that way if you ever decided that you wanted another satellite receiver in another room the LNB would already be in place ;)

EDIT: Sorry the LNB here was recommended by mistake. I should have recommended the Inverto silvertech quad output lnb which we will have in-stock tomorrow @ £34.99. So in hindsight the Twin output might suit you better.

The quattro LNB recommend is not meant for four individual outputs. The QUAD is meant for four individual outputs.

kingo
23-08-10, 17:23
other than the recording side of things does the duo do anything else the solo cant ie stream media from my pc ?

world-of-satellite.co.uk
23-08-10, 17:27
other than the recording side of things does the duo do anything else the solo cant ie stream media from my pc ?

No the software is more or less the same. Just the drivers are different. Oh yes the Duo has a esata port that the Solo doesn't and the Duo has 2 card readers and the Solo 1 card reader. Full spec's of each receiver are listed on my shop.

kingo
23-08-10, 17:30
cheers for all your help its appreciated.

world-of-satellite.co.uk
23-08-10, 18:51
cheers for all your help its appreciated.

All part of the service :)

canthackit
24-08-10, 13:04
All part of the service :)

i have been onto your website was about to order a twin lnb, now seeing your post think i'll go four the quad.

problem is i was going to purchase twin cable but thought why bother i only need one extra length about 15 meters, problem is you don't have any in stock, any chance you'll be getting some in the very near future.

sorry to raise the subject here, i should have probaly contacted you personaly, but his thread just gave me the oportunity :D

regards: canthackit

grtmoby
24-08-10, 13:15
canthackit, this is not a quad lnb, it is a quattro and they are not the same.

a quattro is more used in system as each output is responsible for part of the band and so u have to connect all four outputs to fully receive all signals. a "Quad" lnb is one the gives the full spectrum on each output. ie, connecting only one feed to an output let's u get all signals and frequencies.

if not in read need, i had a look on our sponsor shop and can tell this dual inverto lnb is a really nice one (using one myself) and i am overseas and can really feel the difference.

Happy shopping :D

canthackit
24-08-10, 13:19
Whew
thanks mate nearly :D

that's me rushing and not reading properly again.

gotta wait and see if WOS is going to have the cable avaliable;)

EDIT:
@grtmoby

i've just re-read WOS's post and he definately say's a quad lnb no mention of quattro.

world-of-satellite.co.uk
24-08-10, 13:30
Yes grtmoby is totally correct about the LNB, my mistake earlier in the thread :o Was trying to complete too many task's yesterday, sorry.

We will have Inverto Silvertech QUAD LNB's instock tomorrow and listed on the site @ £34.99.

Regards to coax cable we're still looking for a competitive supplier and hope to have some options on the shop soon. At the moment we only have some single CT100 @ £19.99 for 30m with 4x screw F connector's included.

canthackit
24-08-10, 16:07
WOS

not knowing what that is CT100, is it what i would call the normal coax cable? if it is i need 20 meters, if it is what i need i can go on your site and order the dual LNB 0.1 or 0.2 db and cable.

on 2nd thoughts there's no way i can be sure how much cable i need better be safe than sorry and go for the 30 meter length, so you say you've got that in stock is it listed so i can order online?

world-of-satellite.co.uk
24-08-10, 16:13
WOS

not knowing what that is CT100, is it what i would call the normal coax cable? if it is i need 20 meters, if it is what i need i can go on your site and order the dual LNB 0.1 or 0.2 db and cable.

It's single core CT100 satellite coax cable, 30metre reel, complete with 4x screw type F connectors (the type you screw on the ends by hand). Both the cable and QUAD LNB should be listed on the site tonight/tomorrow.

daturk
25-08-10, 11:57
first off would like to say hi to everyone.

I am looking to get my first linux box, I am currently using a spiderbox that I must say is Crap, freezes on turning off and often disconects from ccam servers, but dont ask about it on alsat lol as its always your fault and your ip server.

Anyway, ive not had it a week and have asked the supplier for an RMA, now after being a bit more thorough in my search i have decided go with the solo or duo, I only have one dish that is motorised using usals so will only be using one tuner, is it worth spending more on the Duo, what other features does it have over the solo other than the extra tuner in real world use?

I only want to spend once this time so would like to get it right.

Thanks for any advice.

I too had this difficult choice before i bought my box.. I went for the DUO in the end and im glad I did. Its really worth the extra £100 or so.. My biggest + point is that the missus watches what ever she wants.. and I stream a channel of my choice on the pc whenever i want.. So, no nagging about footy/F1/topgear etc... :)

kingo
25-08-10, 15:20
I think I am definatley going to go for the Duo, Im going to put my spiderbox in my bedroom for the missus to watch, fixed to my sky dish using cccam on a spider friendly server I'm using , then have the duo connected to my motorised setup with tuner B going also to my fixed sky dish after I have changed the single lnb. Will have to be next week now as I am back at work friday for the next 6 days and I would not get one delivered in time and likely not to be in after that, I have been reading like mad to try and understand as this will be my first linux box, I am ok with pc's building them and so on so hoepfully will get my head round all the linux stuff.

Thanks

digicell
25-08-10, 19:07
It's single core CT100 satellite coax cable, 30metre reel, complete with 4x screw type F connectors (the type you screw on the ends by hand). Both the cable and QUAD LNB should be listed on the site tonight/tomorrow.

HI

Can you tell me the difference please between goign for a VU + Duo and a Dreambox 800. I know this is a VU+ forum but Im a little unsure on the differences between the two. Is the major one that VU+ DUO allows ability to watch 1 channel and record another at the same time?

Which dreambox would allow this?

Which box wouyld u recommend for a newbie like me?
Thanks

world-of-satellite.co.uk
25-08-10, 19:52
HI

Can you tell me the difference please between goign for a VU + Duo and a Dreambox 800. I know this is a VU+ forum but Im a little unsure on the differences between the two. Is the major one that VU+ DUO allows ability to watch 1 channel and record another at the same time?

Which dreambox would allow this?

Which box wouyld u recommend for a newbie like me?
Thanks

Right where shall I start? :)

Yes, the Duo has twin satellite tuners. DM800 one tuner.
HDMI outputs as opposed to DVI on the DM800.
Duo has 405mhz mips processor, DM800 has 300mhz.
Duo has 2 smart card reader, DM800 has 1.

The above is just what come from the top of my head!

I'd recommend the VU+ Duo all day long to a newbie. The operating system is basically the same as a Dreambox, Enigma2. If you don't need twin tuners take a look at the Solo http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Vu-SOLO-Single-Tuner-HD-PVR-DVB-S2-Satellite-Receiver We're currently offering a £10 discount to forum members :)

basilyoung
25-08-10, 20:27
another few +++ in favour of the dou

Full sized internal hard drive can be used
2 cam slots
no over heating issues
the equiverlant db, with dual tuner (well actually, its better than the VU+ slightly) is the db 8000, they retail at about £950
3 usb ports as opposed to one on the 800

baz

digicell
26-08-10, 10:33
another few +++ in favour of the dou

Full sized internal hard drive can be used
2 cam slots
no over heating issues
the equiverlant db, with dual tuner (well actually, its better than the VU+ slightly) is the db 8000, they retail at about £950
3 usb ports as opposed to one on the 800

baz

For a beginerr like me i dont want to spend a lot on the VU + and then realise i cant set up a server?

Are you able to help me please on how I can go about doing this? I can then be more confident in purchasing the VU + Box

Mr.McGee
26-08-10, 10:50
For a beginerr like me i dont want to spend a lot on the VU + and then realise i cant set up a server?

Are you able to help me please on how I can go about doing this? I can then be more confident in purchasing the VU + Box

Buying a receiver like a Vu+ isn't just for watching TV…it's a hobby, so start learning ;)

Sicilian
26-08-10, 15:13

Here's the basics for you http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/showthread.php?517-The-basics-to-cardsharing-with-your-CCcam-capable-satellite-receiver Anything further i'm afraid you'd have to google.