PDA

View Full Version : DREAMVIEW output program

mr rx
18-05-12, 18:45
Hi,

Does anyone know of a program that can change the source code bitrate for streaming over WAN. I understand VLC can do this but I prefered dreamview on E1.

The source code looks something like this

:sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp1v,vb=2 56,scale=0.5,acodec=mp3,ab=64,cha nnels=1}:duplicate{dst=display,ds t=std{access=http,mux=mpeg1,dst=1 92.168.1.2:8080}} :sout-all

sivhead
23-05-12, 20:29
I have recently came across a tool called Enigma Web TV. It does exactly this it uses VLC player but is very intuitive. here the user guide.
download link
http://www.tools.spangenberger.fr/enigmawebtv/Enigma_Web_TV.pdf It creates a public facing webinterface with a transcoded stream. Its free and I am really impressed with it.

mr rx
23-05-12, 23:29
hey thanks, i'll have a look soon, cheers :)

Rob van der Does
24-05-12, 05:45
I don't feel happy by the fact that it needs a key, and by the way to obtain that key. I need to provide my e-mail address even before I have any idea what the program actually does.

sivhead
24-05-12, 20:33
I don't feel happy by the fact that it needs a key, and by the way to obtain that key. I need to provide my e-mail address even before I have any idea what the program actually does.

You raise some good points. If I get tiime tomorrow I will install the software to a vanillla machine. I will take snapshot before and after to see if anything dodgy is installed. I will post my results tomorrow.

I have done a procmon trace when the app is installed and cant see anything untoward. Other than a network request is being made to perso156-g5.free.fr but I am pretty sure that is just the donate to paypal option. I have asked the questions on the forum for the app, let see what he the author says

http://www.tools.spangenberger.fr/forum/ posted in the English\WEb-TV section

I can now watch my TV channels on my nokia N8

The program uses VLC player to transcode the stream to whatever kilobits you like. I have set mine to 300kb. IT creates a webinterface for the feed. so you can connect directly to the web interface / change channel and watch the feed from the WAN. Its also password protected and you only need to port forward to this new web interface... IMO its really simple and works really well.

Rob van der Does
24-05-12, 20:50
On start-up it started to download VLC without even asking me. I don't appreciate that kind of actions, so I immediately deleted the whole program.

basilyoung
24-05-12, 21:26
I also looked at this, and aborted, for the same reasons as you Rob, to much background stuff, and have serious doubts about this software

Johev
01-06-12, 15:48
Hi everybody, this looks like something I have been looking for since these Linux boxes came out. I would just like to know if it box is doing all the transcoding to the lower bitrate, or if we need to have a PC on 24/7 to do it for the box. Does the box have enough CPU power to decode a full HD channel and re-encode it to a lower bitrate so that it can be streamed over the wifi or internet?

With a twin tuner can I watch a channel on my PC that is different than the one that is showing in the living room on the main TV?

What programs or pluguins are needed to be installed on the Linux box for this to work?

What programs do I need to install on the PC or Android phone to make this work?

Thank you all for clearing up my confusion about this.

Rob van der Does
01-06-12, 16:24
Does the box have enough CPU power to decode a full HD channel and re-encode it to a lower bitrate so that it can be streamed over the wifi or internet?
The present generation STB's can't do any (re)coding at all.
All 'normal' decoding is done in the hardware; that's why those boxes will never have full media player capabilities.

With a twin tuner can I watch a channel on my PC that is different than the one that is showing in the living room on the main TV?

Yes, and more than that. Streaming is for the STB more or less the same as a making a recording.

Johev
02-06-12, 01:58
Thank you Rob for your answers.

I still did not understand if I need a PC acting as a Server on the internal network (LAN) to stream the channels, or if all I need is to have the box connected to the network and than I can use any PC or Android phone to watch the TV channels.

Do I need to install a plugin on it, or will the latest VixTeam image be enough?

Thanks once again for your reply.

Trial
02-06-12, 06:23
Hi,
you need a PC in your LAN to do the reencoding. Beside the limited CPU power of STBs there is another reason. Even with SD you need between 4 and 9 MBit upload to stream the original to then WAN. At least in Germany only a few people have such a broadband connection.

ciao

Rob van der Does
02-06-12, 06:48
The box streams directly: via the webinterface you can watch a stream (life-TV or recording) on any PC in your LAN. A VLC-plugin is needed.
There are also several handy programs, like DremboxManagerSuite for easy watching, but they are not needed.
About Android: there seem to be apps available in the store, like the VU+_Player.

Johev
02-06-12, 13:30
Hi Rob, can I presume that if I have the VLC plugin installed on the Box, the Vu+ ultimo will lower the bitrate of an HD stream to for example 500kb/s, as I only have a 1Mbit upload speed?

Or is Trial right by saying that if I want the uncompressed stream, than the box can do it alone, but if I want to have a lower bitrate stream than I would need a PC to do that for the box, as it does not have any spare hardware capacity to do it alone.

Rob van der Does
02-06-12, 13:46
VLC should be installed on the PC you want to stream to. That's all you need to see a stream on a LAN-connected PC|.

Or is Trial right by saying that if I want the uncompressed stream, than the box can do it alone, but if I want to have a lower bitrate stream than I would need a PC to do that for the box, as it does not have any spare hardware capacity to do it alone.
That's correct indeed.