PDA

View Full Version : Webif of PS3 question

Markymark
17-05-12, 22:28
Does anyone know if it is possible to use the Webif interface to stream tv through the browser in the play station 3?

I'm guessing this is something that someone else has thought about and tried. I did try the current version in my browser but it was unable to stream - which made me think do I need to tweak something to make this possible?

Maxwell
18-05-12, 09:32
No it doesnt work the ps3 cannot decode the m3u stream

Markymark
18-05-12, 12:12
No it doesnt work the ps3 cannot decode the m3u stream

Hi, thanks for that. Is their no way of getting the feed in any other format to get it to play? How does the excellent istreamgate app work on the ipad - or does that use m3u streams?

Maxwell
18-05-12, 13:03
Hi, thanks for that. Is their no way of getting the feed in any other format to get it to play? How does the excellent istreamgate app work on the ipad - or does that use m3u streams?

No you cannot change the format that would require transcoding on the fly like PS media server does on a pc - as for the apple app I have no idea I hate everything apple :D

Markymark
18-05-12, 16:47
Yeah that makes sense as that ps server is smart bit of kit.

Could I in theory feed in the vu box to that server and then pull the feed from the media server? Or is this going way OTT now?

Maxwell
18-05-12, 22:13
in theory it could be possible but it would consume a lot of pc processing power and high bandwidth on wireless LAN which could be an issue.
if XBMC could run on a pS3 it would be perfect.
Do some experimenting and report back your findings I dont have the time at the moment to play with it

Markymark
20-05-12, 21:06
I'm on the case and playing. Managed to crash my Ubuntu machine a few times today, however in fairness I think it's a little old to be doing such processes. :)

Just read the black hole is meant to be able to do this - not sure if that's really the case?