PDA

View Full Version : Ultimo owner to be

mr rx
17-05-12, 19:58
Hi Guys,

Ordered the Ultimo from the sponsor and really looking forward to taking delivery.

Ive been reading up on a various how to's and there is still couple of questions i need to ask.

In the old E1 we used to load the new image by serial to prevent bricking the box, now its all done by USB.

My questions are:-

1. Do you delete and install the flash everytime you install a new image? If so, is the flash contained in the image pack or do you load that first separately?

2. Do you get asked to install the flash everytime you install the image leaving you to yes or no?

I've probably over complicated this as I have yet to see one.

Stanman
17-05-12, 20:01
1. No mate, you just need to put the new image on to USB and away you go, only time you might need to update system files is if there is a new bootloader.

2. No

mcquaim
17-05-12, 20:04
No need to clear down the flash at all..

It is as simple as unzipping the image onto a USB stick and then rebooting the receiver! When the flashing is complete it will tell you to remove the USB stick and reboot the receiver!

And that is it, all flashed. All you do then is to follow the on-screen instructions to set it up!

Good luck and enjoy!

mr rx
17-05-12, 20:17
1. No mate, you just need to put the new image on to USB and away you go, only time you might need to update system files is if there is a new bootloader.

2. No

Thank you.

I noticed the new Vix image requires new system files, when installing this image would you follow the same procedure from USB or would you first install the bootloader then image?

Or again am I over complicating things :)

Thanks

Stanman
17-05-12, 20:18
This is in the Ultimo forum so assuming you have that box?

If so no bootloader to install, just stick the image on USB and away you go.

When we release an image if the BL needs updating its listed in the release thread

mr rx
17-05-12, 20:25
Thanks Stanman,

Yes I am from the old D2MAC days right through E1 and then on to E2 using the Ultimo, purchased today from the sponsor here. I just had to question it again as the procedure seems a lot more simplified than older linux boxes and just wanted to be 100% before flashing.

I am sure I will be back to ask about something else as I'm new to E2

Thanks again :)

Stanman
17-05-12, 20:27
Thanks Stanman,

Yes I am from the old D2MAC days right through E1 and then on to E2 using the Ultimo, purchased today from the sponsor here. I just had to question it again as the procedure seems a lot more simplified than older linux boxes and just wanted to be 100% before flashing.

I am sure I will be back to ask about something else as I'm new to E2

Thanks again :)

Thats what we are here for buddy. Any questions you have, please do a search and if no help than create a thread.

Good choice of box, lovely piece of kit and nothing like having a new toy to play with:thumbsup:

parkher
18-05-12, 18:19
Good choice of box, lovely piece of kit and nothing like having a new toy to play with:thumbsup:

I also need a new receiver to replace my ailing old Octagon.

I am thinking about Ultimo.

I currently have Vu+ Duo and ET9000.
I like them both but especially ET9000 (except that time bomb in it).
How does Ultimo compare to ET9000?

Additionally, Ultimo might come handy with the third tuner for cable, 2 sat + 1 cable.
That way I hope to be able to record stuff from cable too.
I am aware of the issues with 3 tuners installed, though. Seems like the power supply is too weak?

Currently I have a problem with Vu Duo that it does not record some channels. In particular, Eurosport 2 NE HD on Hotbird - this channels has so many audio tracks, that seems to be causing the problem (just a guess).
It records fine most channels, though, for example Eurosport 1 HD with only two audio tracks.
I hope there will be no such problem with Ultimo.
I think I need to update my Duo image maybe that will fix the problem on Duo too.

It seems that so far there is no newer bootloader to flash into Ultimo?
This step is not needed no matter what image?

mr rx
18-05-12, 18:41
I've read up some more and it appears all Ultimo's have the latest bootloader already installed so no need unless there is an image later down the line that requires an update.

As for comparision i do not know, others will help :)

parkher
18-05-12, 19:17
Thanks.
Comparison with ET9000 would be very interesting as both Ultimo and ET9000 have the same processor.
Maybe not comparison but feedback/impressions of people who have both

Rob van der Does
19-05-12, 06:43
ET timebomb???

Trial
19-05-12, 06:53
Hi Rob,
wasn´t there a battery which is urgently needed for operation?

ciao

Rob van der Does
19-05-12, 06:55
wasn´t there a battery which is urgently needed for operation?
Yes, there is a fixed battery inside, that should never be removed. But the same applies to all components inside the box :confused:

Larry-G
19-05-12, 06:56
To be honest the battery should by far outlast the operating life of the receiver it self.

parkher
19-05-12, 14:35
It should, but will it?
And also the danger of deterioration of the contact between the battery and the socket because of oxidation.
The owners of ET9000 may have to pay way more for xanax than the price of ET9000 itself.
In America you would get millions for continuous emotional distress.

But still, I love ET9000 and I would like to hear here from somebody who has both and likes Ultimo more.

Rob van der Does
19-05-12, 14:37
And all this possible trouble also applies to all contacts and all parts in the box. Do you really worry about all that too?

And what about your car...

parkher
19-05-12, 14:50
There is a big difference - if the contact with the battery is lost once - ET9000 becomes a brick. If contact is lost somewhere else, you can hit it with your fist and it is working again. Or clean the pins.
Likewise, if something else fails, you can try to fix it, to replace the failed component, with the battery failure you can do nothing as its failure initiates the evil self-destruction, basically.
I actually fixed once my satellite receiver myself the same day when it stopped working - replaced a failed transistor and it was as good as new.
True, it was in analog days and it was in the power supply, but still.

Stanman
19-05-12, 17:26
Have the ET9000 and Ultimo here and battery issue has never been a concern. Its securely fixed in there and unlikley to lose contact, as for oxidisation, its stainless so unlikely to start rusting.

For what they do both are excellent boxes, the ultimo has the advantage have being triple tuner but you pay more for it, so swings and around abouts.

if you have the money and "battery" is such an issue buy the Ultimo.

parkher
21-05-12, 01:06
I am leaning towards Ultimo, if not for any other reason - because I already have ET9000 but don't have Ultimo.

Still, I have some issues with Duo - some channels are not recorded (just begins about 190 KB and that's it).
No such issues with ET9000. So I'm afraid if Ultimo may have similar issues as Duo.
So far I noticed two such channels, one of them initially was recorded fine, only later something happened (although possibly the transponder changed).
The other channel has a lot of audio tracks. Anyway, they both are recorded fine on ET9000 (so far).
Other channels are recorded fine on Duo, though, even HD channels, so I don't think the hard drive is responsible.

Rob van der Does
21-05-12, 05:53
Still, I have some issues with Duo - some channels are not recorded (just begins about 190 KB and that's it).
This is not a known problem for the DUO (or any other box). So either your box suffers from a hardware problem, a wrong set-up or a problem with your feeds.

parkher
23-05-12, 17:33
OK, I just got Ultimo. So I will try if it can record that particular channel.
I got it for testing - if there are problems, they will come and take it back.

It was manufactured in January of 2012.
It is still in the box. What should I do next?

Flash ViX 2.4.96 and then online update to 2.4.124?

Larry-G
23-05-12, 17:37
OK, I just got Ultimo. So I will try if it can record that particular channel.
I got it for testing - if there are problems, they will come and take it back.

It was manufactured in January of 2012.
It is still in the box. What should I do next?

Flash ViX 2.4.96 and then online update to 2.4.124?

why not just download the 2.4-124 image and flash that directly without having to go through the online update process ?.

you can get the image here.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/enigma2/openvix/index.php?dir=Vu%2BUltimo/

parkher
23-05-12, 17:44
Thanks! Downloaded.
I found myself a link only to 96.

Is it stable enough?

Perhaps it is not very diplomatic to ask here, but what image is recommended for Ultimo right now?

On ET9000 I have ViX and I am very happy with it.
On Duo I have OpenPli - I updated it several times, but I'm sure it is time to update again.

I did not try any other images so far, VTi, BlackHoles or anything.

Larry-G
23-05-12, 17:48
I am using the ViX 2.4-124 image on all my receivers Uno, Ultimo and Duo and all are very stable with no problems. of course thats my own personal opinion as to what i consider the best image available, for you that may be different so try a few for your self and see which you like.

parkher
23-05-12, 20:11
I heard somewhere that in BH there is such a thing that allows to specify which softcam to use for which channel.
I may need this on one of my receivers as I need cccam for some channels and mgcamd for others and they do not want to be active together.

parkher
24-05-12, 03:11
So, I flashed ViX 2.4.124 to my new Ultimo.
Tested the supposedly problematic transponders - everything is ok so far, the signal is stronger than with Duo. No digital garbage on the screen either.
Tried to record those channels that Duo does not record - ok, recorded fine, including the HD channel with 11 audio tracks.

I put a 2 TB 5400 rpm cold-running Samsung in Ultimo, and when I tried to initialize it, I immediately got back the hard drive menu.
So I was not sure what happened, was the initialization instantaneous, or was it running in the background, or was not done at all.
Info showed initially 1 MB free, but after a while began showing 1907 or 1906 GB free. Still when trying to record - error "write error, disk full?".
I did not know - to wait or to reboot. Finally, after rebooting - everything ok. So this background initializing without any progress indication is very confusing. Or something went wrong.
I don't remember now what happened when initializing hard drive in ET9000 (also with ViX, but 2.2.100 - it was months ago) - but I don't remember any such uncertainty then.

I see in info that I have:

RAM
Total memory: 275220

FLASH
Total: 439.3 M

Do those numbers correspond somehow to 512 MB and 1 GB respectively?
Or they gave me some lesser Ultimo?

BTW, initially info showed this:

Version: Dec 27 2011-vuplus_experimental
Image: Experimental 20111-12-27

Experimental as in "let's try to sell with half of memory and half of flash"?

Larry-G
24-05-12, 04:11
all ultimos have 1GB of flash memory however half of this is kept back for system and future use, the experimental wording is the image it self i believe that is the last OpenPli image made that used the older Linux 2.6.18 kernel.

parkher
24-05-12, 05:14
Thanks.
So those two numbers are the same as anybody with Ultimo would see?

Larry-G
24-05-12, 05:26
Thanks.
So those two numbers are the same as anybody with Ultimo would see?

Yes pretty much

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Rob van der Does
24-05-12, 05:39
the signal is stronger than with Duo.
There's no way you can compare those digits from one box to another. It's not a (calibrated) meter; it's just a read-out you can use on that box only (to compare transponders and to allign your dish).

I see in info that I have:

RAM
Total memory: 275220

FLASH
Total: 439.3 M
As stated above: atm half the flash has been reserved for future use (and half is pretty much enough).
And RAM only shows the amount of RAM that is available in the user-space. The rest is reserved for the system itself (e.g. for frame buffer).

parkher
24-05-12, 17:00
The word "total" used in the info panel is misleading.

BTW, I can't find how to edit my signature to add Ultimo into it. The most complicated thing about my new Ultimo so far!
That and getting used to that tiny remote with microscopic edge-narrow buttons.
Are there any other remotes that can be used with Ultimo?

Larry-G
24-05-12, 17:07

BTW, I can't find how to edit my signature to add Ultimo into it. The most complicated thing about my new Ultimo so far!
That and getting used to that tiny remote with microscopic edge-narrow buttons.
Are there any other remotes that can be used with Ultimo?

you can use any of the logitech harmony series remotes or any other Vu remote ( just need to change the remote code on the receiver ).

as for your signature click the settings button at the top of the forum.

Rob van der Does
24-05-12, 17:44
Hmmm, you would have preferred 'total, in userspace available memory' then?
To be honest: it goes without saying that this is the case. If those values don't mean anything to you, because you have no idea how a Linux system works, you'd better not look at technical info at all :confused:

parkher
24-05-12, 17:50
Thanks.
Can I get to that code via fpt or telnet?
In case I lose the remote altogether after starting playing with the codes :)
Currently I see code: 2

I guess, the question is: if I get another Duo remote then having both Ultimo and Duo, could I control Ultimo with one Duo remote, and Duo - with another one?
So for starters, I could try to make it work with my current Duo remote.
BTW, maybe the aiming angle is narrow enough to control them both with the same single Duo remote.

Larry-G
24-05-12, 17:56
To use a standard Duo / solo remote on the Ultimo just change the code to 1.

Larry-G
24-05-12, 17:59
To use a standard Duo / solo remote on the Ultimo just change the code to 1.

just to add to this you could buy one of the new Vu programmable remote's which you can program to work with any Vu machine and most TV's too.

Huevos
24-05-12, 18:02
I guess, the question is: if I get another Duo remote then having both Ultimo and Duo, could I control Ultimo with one Duo remote, and Duo - with another one?The problem with Pheonix's solution is if you do a reflash the remote won't work until you go into the box setup with a code 2 capable remote and set it back to code 1.

If you want a remote that is almost identical in layout to the Duo remote, get an Uno remote as this is capable of code 1 and code 2, and will not be affected by a reflash.

Huevos
24-05-12, 18:04
just to add to this you could buy one of the new Vu programmable remote's which you can program to work with any Vu machine and most TV's too.Haven't seen that one yet. I thought Uno and Ultimo remotes could do that anyway, or am I getting confused.

parkher
24-05-12, 18:26
OK, thanks for the help

So far so good - I am able to control both Ultimo and Duo with the same remote.
After some practice, I now can control either just Ultimo, or just Duo or both at once - any way I want.
I will see, if this does not work reliably enough, then the solution is Uno remote.

Oh, another question - can Ultimo remote be switched to code 1?
And can Duo receiver be switched to code 2?

Rob van der Does
24-05-12, 18:34
The problem with Pheonix's solution is if you do a reflash the remote won't work until you go into the box setup with a code 2 capable remote and set it back to code 1.
Or you change that in the settings manually.

Larry-G
24-05-12, 18:47
Or you change that in the settings manually.

or just buy a Vu universal remote and change the code on the remote in the same way you do with the uno, ultimo remotes.

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Replacement-Remote-Controls/VU-Duo-Solo-Uno-Ultimo-Genuine-Universal-Remote-Control

parkher
24-05-12, 18:53
So, I understand that it is possible to set code 1 into the Ultimo remote.
Is it possible to set code 2 to Duo receiver?

BTW, there is a wide black vertical bar continuously running from left to right on that big Ultimo display.
The only solution how to get rid of it I found so far - to take off my 3D glasses :)

Larry-G
24-05-12, 19:08
So, I understand that it is possible to set code 1 into the Ultimo remote.

BTW, there is a wide black vertical bar continuously running from left to right on that big Ultimo display.
The only solution how to get rid of it I found so far - to take off my 3D glasses :)

you can set the codes to what ever you want.
for example my receivers are in the same room, both the ultimo and duo are on their default codes ( 2 and 1 respectively ) where the uno is set to code 4.

Rob van der Does
24-05-12, 20:55
Sorry: the drivers of the DUO & Solo do not support changing the R/C code; those boxes will only 'listen' to code 1.
The UNO & Ultimo can be set to mode 1, 2, 3 or 4.

parkher
25-05-12, 02:19
OK, clear.

I was able to use the Duo remote with Ultimo (after changing the code to 1 in Ultimo), and Ultimo remote with Duo (after changing the code to 1 in the remote)

parkher
25-05-12, 03:54
Please don't laugh,
but what is this always blinking thing both on the Ultimo display and on the info bar? It looks like this (O) and is always blinking on all the channels, FTA or encrypted.
I would like it to stop blinking so that the RECORDING blinking is better noticeable, bad enough that it is not red on the Ultimo display.
I'm guessing it is ViX-specific.

Rob van der Does
25-05-12, 05:12
Please don't laugh,
but what is this always blinking thing both on the Ultimo display and on the info bar? It looks like this (O) and is always blinking on all the channels, FTA or encrypted.
I would like it to stop blinking so that the RECORDING blinking is better noticeable, bad enough that it is not red on the Ultimo display.
I'm guessing it is ViX-specific.
If it looks like the attached icon: that means updates are available.

parkher
25-05-12, 06:57
Yes, it looks exactly like this.
I see, from build 124 to 132.
Thanks.

Back to the remote: I think I somehow switched the Ultimo remote both to 1 and 2 simultaneously: even though Ultimo currently has code 2 and does not work with the Duo remote,
the Ultimo remote works with both Ultimo and Duo, and the Duo remote works with Duo only.
I did this: 2+7 then Help then 0002.
The same trick worked when switching the remote from 2 to 1.
So why is it interfering with Duo after converting back to 2.

Rob van der Does
25-05-12, 07:57
Back to the remote: I think I somehow switched the Ultimo remote both to 1 and 2 simultaneously: even though Ultimo currently has code 2 and does not work with the Duo remote,
the Ultimo remote works with both Ultimo and Duo, and the Duo remote works with Duo only.
I did this: 2+7 then Help then 0002.
The same trick worked when switching the remote from 2 to 1.
So why is it interfering with Duo after converting back to 2.
Hmmm, this puzzles me. Looks like you did it all OK.
I can only suggest to try to set the R/C for the Ultimo to e.g. 3 (and the Ultimo itself as well of course) and see what happens.

parkher
25-05-12, 08:07
with 3 - the same thing, also controls also Duo.
Maybe I just did not notice, maybe it was always interfering with Duo?
Maybe Duo accepts any codes?

parkher
25-05-12, 10:15
I am running into new problems with Ultimo.

1. How to set up correctly a motorized system with two LNBs for the 2nd lnb?

Where diseqc 1.2 + diseqc 1.0 input 2 are used. I need this for circular polarization.
The only way it works is if I connect the dish to my old Octagon and then loop to Ultimo. Then I can switch to the channel with Octagon and Ultimo also sees it.
So Octagon has no problem with selecting that 2nd lnb.
Ultimo is ignoring the diseqc 1.0 command, it seems.
Or I don't know how to configure it correctly. It is not enough to use committed command Input 2 in diseqc 1.2 mode

Another thing: how to add some correction to USALS without saving the actual position and ignoring USALS altogether.
On Octagon it is very simple, you may change the position of the satellite, use 27.9 instead of 28.2, for example.
Here, I see only a possibility to change the position of the dish - which is not as clear.

Larry-G
25-05-12, 10:30
Another thing: how to add some correction to USALS without saving the actual position and ignoring USALS altogether.
On Octagon it is very simple, you may change the position of the satellite, use 27.9 instead of 28.2, for example.
Here, I see only a possibility to change the position of the dish - which is not as clear.

you can ever so slightly adjust the co-ordinates ( longitude / latitude ) to achieve this.

parkher
25-05-12, 10:45
Yes, and in order to adjust just for one satellite and not for all at once, it is necessary to use separate lnb numbers for each satellite.

I have a problem with diseqc 1.2 + 1.0 input 2. I guess, the correct command is AB, but still not working.
Ok, maybe AB is working, I finally was able to scan one transponder correctly without any help from Octagon.
Because the 2nd lnb is off center, it is even more difficult to tie it to USALS on Ultimo.

And I had another issue - still to investigate:
I see the results of MgCamd correctly working with tuner A but not with tuner B even on the same satellites and channels.

Rob van der Does
25-05-12, 11:06
with 3 - the same thing, also controls also Duo.
Maybe I just did not notice, maybe it was always interfering with Duo?
Maybe Duo accepts any codes?
No: I definitely don't have this problem. I have a DUO (code1), UNO (code 2), Ultimo 1 (code 3) and Ultimo 2 (code 4): there's no interference at all. That's the whole point of having different codes.

In short: I have no clue why your DUO obeys all codes.

parkher
25-05-12, 11:13
I also thought that initially everything was ok. Only after I did 2+7 -> Help -> 0001 and then 2+7 -> Help 0002 - only after that the remote began to interfere with Duo.
So I need to reprogram the remote somehow better.
There is no question, though, that it is sending code 2 (now 3) to Ultimo, and it seems, also code 1 to Duo....

Rob van der Does
25-05-12, 11:18
I also thought that initially everything was ok. Only after I did 2+7 -> Help -> 0001 and then 2+7 -> Help 0002 - only after that the remote began to interfere with Duo.
So I need to reprogram the remote somehow better.
There is no question, though, that it is sending code 2 (now 3) to Ultimo, and it seems, also code 1 to Duo....
You can try:
In case you want to reset the RCU,
Press Sequence: <<1 + 6>>, <9>, <9>, <6>

1. Press 1and 6 for three seconds until LED is on.
2. Press <9>, <9>, <6>.
3. This will reverse the RCU into no configuration state.

Larry-G
25-05-12, 11:22
I'm the same as rob here.
I have 3 receivers stacked on top of each other.

Uno ( running on code 4 )
Duo ( using default code 1 )
Ultimo ( using default code 2 ).

I use a harmony 650 for the Duo and Ultimo ( not really a fan of the ultimo remote so i took the batteries out and re-boxed it ). Using the default Uno remote ( This is the one Vu now ship with all Duo's, Solo's and is sold individually as a universal remote ).

I also have x2 Duo remote's both the later black one and the earlier white one, and none of these remote's interferes with the other units when set up for a specific machine.

parkher
25-05-12, 12:25
No, 1-6 9 9 6 did not help either. Still working with Duo.
Maybe Duo somehow accepts all the codes?

Maybe it was fixed in later drivers of Duo?
I see that my OpenPLi image on Duo is from 2010.
I think I will switch to the latest ViX and see what happens with the remote then.

As to switching to ViX:

- I understand that I need a new bootloader?
Flashing it on Duo is exactly the same as flashing an image?

- I hope that all the recorded stuff on the hard drive will not be destroyed.
Had there been such cases when the contents of the hard drive disappeared after flashing a new image?

Huevos
25-05-12, 12:43
Where diseqc 1.2 + diseqc 1.0 input 2 are used. I need this for circular polarization.
The only way it works is if I connect the dish to my old Octagon and then loop to Ultimo. Then I can switch to the channel with Octagon and Ultimo also sees it.
So Octagon has no problem with selecting that 2nd lnb.
Ultimo is ignoring the diseqc 1.0 command, it seems.
Or I don't know how to configure it correctly. It is not enough to use committed command Input 2 in diseqc 1.2 mode

Here, I see only a possibility to change the position of the dish - which is not as clear.Just clarify... You have a fixed universal linear LNB in the breach of a USALS controlled dish, and on the same dish you have a second LNB for circular polarisation in offset configuration. Is that correct? This is more or less how I have my C-band LNBs set up. If you are having trouble configuring this I can run you through it.

On the DiSEqC 1.0 switch. Inputs 1-16 in the tuner menu are for DiSEqC 1.1 uncommitted switches. Committed AA, AB, BA, & BB correspond to ports 1-4 on your DiSEqC 1.0 switch. For use with a positioner set DiSEqC mode to 1.2.

Rob van der Does
25-05-12, 12:59
I see that my OpenPLi image on Duo is from 2010.
That could be the case indeed. No idea what images & drivers were so long ago!
Update!

As to switching to ViX:

- I understand that I need a new bootloader?
Flashing it on Duo is exactly the same as flashing an image?
Yes, but is ready in a split second.

- I hope that all the recorded stuff on the hard drive will not be destroyed.
Had there been such cases when the contents of the hard drive disappeared after flashing a new image?
Nope; as long as you dont manually initialize the HDD in any stage.

parkher
25-05-12, 13:18
Just clarify... You have a fixed universal linear LNB in the breach of a USALS controlled dish, and on the same dish you have a second LNB for circular polarisation in offset configuration. Is that correct? This is more or less how I have my C-band LNBs set up. If you are having trouble configuring this I can run you through it.

On the DiSEqC 1.0 switch. Inputs 1-16 in the tuner menu are for DiSEqC 1.1 uncommitted switches. Committed AA, AB, BA, & BB correspond to ports 1-4 on your DiSEqC 1.0 switch. For use with a positioner set DiSEqC mode to 1.2.

Yes, exactly.
Thanks. It was a little bit confusing because inputs 1-16 are listed among committed as well.
Committed AB worked fine. Now I even managed to find such coordinates for this lnb that USALS can be used with it too.

parkher
25-05-12, 13:22
Yes, but is ready in a split second.

Yes, I know. I flashed bootloaders to a couple of ET9000s
Still, I used an UPS both for the PC and for the satellite receiver.

Huevos
25-05-12, 13:43
I even managed to find such coordinates for this lnb that USALS can be used with it too.To set the offset LNB you want it as close to the central LNB as possible, and when the dish is facing due south you want it at the same height as the central LNB. Compensate using your USALS longitude.

parkher
25-05-12, 20:29
OK, so I flashed to Duo the bootloader and the newest ViX image - build 2.4.134
Unfortunately, enigma crashes every time while in the first-time wizard, or even if I exit it.
Depending on my actions, different crashes.

So I then flashed 2.4.96 - this one loads ok.
I had some issue with HDMI not visible from TV, but then it showed up somehow.

The good:

1. Duo no longer accepts code 2 from the Ultimo remote - the issue solved.
2. Duo now records to the hard drive Eurosport 2 HD with 11 audio tracks, previously it did not.

The bad:

For some weird reason, samba not installed and running, so the first thing I needed was to install samba.
Unfortunately, I get message that the feeds are temporarily down, and then, even without any response from me, the message is changed to this one:
"Please wait whilst feeds state is checked."
And this message stays forever, the only way to get rid of it: to switch off and reboot Duo.
So I don't have samba that I badly need, and each attempt to install it leads to hanging Duo.

Where can I get samba and install it manually?
Maybe from Ultimo where it is already downloaded and installed. But that might be pretty tricky.

Larry-G
25-05-12, 20:38
OK, so I flashed to Duo the bootloader and the newest ViX image - build 2.4.134
Unfortunately, enigma crashes every time while in the first-time wizard, or even if I exit it.
Depending on my actions, different crashes.

So I then flashed 2.4.96 - this one loads ok.
I had some issue with HDMI not visible from TV, but then it showed up somehow.

The good:

1. Duo no longer accepts code 2 from the Ultimo remote - the issue solved.
2. Duo now records to the hard drive Eurosport 2 HD with 11 audio tracks, previously it did not.

The bad:

For some weird reason, samba not installed and running, so the first thing I needed was to install samba.
Unfortunately, I get message that the feeds are temporarily down, and then, even without any response from me, the message is changed to this one:
"Please wait whilst feeds state is checked."
And this message stays forever, the only way to get rid of it: to switch off and reboot Duo.
So I don't have samba that I badly need, and each attempt to install it leads to hanging Duo.

Where can I get samba and install it manually?
Maybe from Ultimo where it is already downloaded and installed. But that might be pretty tricky.

2.4-134 is unstable but you can flash to 2.4.132 as that was the last stable release, as for samba the feeds are currently down while updates are uploaded they should not be down long.

parkher
25-05-12, 21:08
I think I will try updating to 132 online, then.
I have mgcamd already installed and working etc.

But it is wrong that when feeds are down that checking for feed status message locks out the receiver completely. At least it could react to the Exit button.

I have another issue with ViX:

I have two TVs connected to Duo, the 2nd one - through component (YPbPr). And the output chosen - HDMI.
So with the old PLi everything was fine. Now with ViX, during loading of enigma, the colors on the component output initially are fine, then get distorted - become redish, and then get back to normal again. But not always, sometimes they stay red. If I select YPbPr from the video menu, then the colors become normal and stay normal even after switching to HDMI again.
So it is a workaround for such cases, I guess.

As to that "protection" red light issue with Duo - anybody else encountered this problem?
Sometimes after that enforced pause when Duo is switched off, there are some sounds for a while after switching it on - I assume from the hard drive - but not always.
I haven't tried yet to disconnect the hard drive and see if then Duo boots at once.
What does this red light at the left upper corner of the display indicate?
Normally it is out. It lights up only at the initial stages of booting.
I get either the red light and nothing else (if waited not long enough), or the red light and "starting" - in that case Duo boots and the red light goes off at some point.

parkher
25-05-12, 21:56
Build 135 showed up. Thanks.
I made the online update.

The problem with the component output remains - after reboot, the picture becomes purple. And menu does not fit to screen. After switching to YPbPr and back to HDMI again - both issues corrected.

Also another problem I have: mgcamd is not started after reboot, even though the green V was set.
After reboot it is not active and the V is also missing.
Manual start is needed.
It happens every time after reboot.

UPDATE:

I have to correct some things I wrote above:

Until now, I never had a normal reboot, only after crashes or after the online update.
Now I put the receiver into deep standby by remote, to test if I can bring it back - no, I cannot.
I needed to switch it off at the back for a while, only after that it agreed to start.
But disconnecting of the power cable was not needed.
So there is something wrong with my Duo. It may be related to the hard drive, as I heard some sounds and then - nothing.
And this issue developed later, I did not notice anything like that when Duo was new.

Anyway, after going to deep standby, switching off and booting - everything is ok, mgcamd is running and there was no purple colour through the component output.
And I installed samba, working ok. So this issue with hanging while checking for samba became somewhat mute.