PDA

View Full Version : VIX 2.4 build 96 - some issues (very sad face!)

mauri
17-05-12, 00:15
Hope I am the only one (or among the few) having issues even with the latest VIX release.

A few days ago, I surrendered to VTi latest image since VIX 2.3 was driving me nuts, with several daily crashes.
VTi, believe it or not, was rock solid!
Had ProjectValerie 1260 running smoothly, playback of avi, mkv, mp4 etc movies flawlessly, timeshift was working perfectly.
Even EPG for sky uk and sky italy was loading nicely.

But, needless to say, VTi misses a lot of vix skin features, addons and very user friendly menus, hence I was HAPPY when I got the email notification that VIX 2.4 was ready! Stayed late that night, reflashing my VU+ duo, testing it, but seemed not ok.
Then I read in the forum that I should not restore any settings/plugins.
Again I reflashed it from the scratch.

BUT still the bugs are there.
It crashes when loading EPG
Crashes when changing audio track in a channel
Crashes when watching a movie.
more or less same frequent crashes as 2.3

Some weeks ago, a senior member of this forum kindly suggested me to try to initialize my HDD. BUT I have hundreds of recordings (70% of 2TB of data), hence a big head ache to do it. I was told that USB stick might be an issue. I changed it, a acouple of times, still the same.

What I do not understand is, why my box works ok with VTi, and not with VIX?
I am desperate to have VIX Versus VTi, but till now, seems like a lost battle for me. :(

Larry-G
17-05-12, 00:20
if you are suffering crashes then submit your logs to us. i would again say try initialising the HDD but as you said thats not a option there is very little we can do.

basilyoung
17-05-12, 00:31
or alternitly, use another Hard Drive,
I am using the new image with out any noticeable issues
Another option, is to set up the unit with no Hard drive perhaps, and see if there is a problem with out the hard drive?

Larry-G
17-05-12, 00:39
or alternitly, use another Hard Drive,
I am using the new image with out any noticeable issues
Another option, is to set up the unit with no Hard drive perhaps, and see if there is a problem with out the hard drive?

yes good point i never though of that.

mauri
17-05-12, 00:44
yes good point i never though of that.

thanks for your fast replies, but strangely enough, the issue seems to be the USB stick.
When no usb stick attached, no crashes.
I have in my usb stick picons and epg.dat (no swap file).
With 4 different usb sticks, same symptoms show.
VTi seems ok though... :/

Larry-G
17-05-12, 00:46
thanks for your fast replies, but strangely enough, the issue seems to be the USB stick.
When no usb stick attached, no crashes.
I have in my usb stick picons and epg.dat (no swap file).
With 4 different usb sticks, same symptoms show.
VTi seems ok though... :/

have you formatted or initialised the USB sticks since moving to the 2.4 image ?.

mauri
17-05-12, 00:51
have you formatted or initialised the USB sticks since moving to the 2.4 image ?.
Yep, formated in my PC as FAT32

FYI I am sending the only crashlog I could find in my HDD, seems a crashlog of May 15... :S

Larry-G
17-05-12, 00:59
Thats not a ViX crash log mate

[VTI Device Manager] start

<skin>Vu_HD_Series/extended_skin/skin.xml</skin>

creator=Kpt.Iglo <kpt.iglo@vuplus-support.org>
url=http://www.vuplus-support.org/

mauri
17-05-12, 01:04
Thats not a ViX crash log mate

Oops, as I said, this was the only crashlog I could find. I checked the /media/HDD via FileZilla, this was the only one.

Sicilian
17-05-12, 05:40
Format both your HDD an USB sticks using ViX. Other it will never run stable, alternatively swap the HDD.

Trial
17-05-12, 06:46
Hi,

Oops, as I said, this was the only crashlog I could find. I checked the /media/HDD via FileZilla, this was the only one.
look at /hdd/logs because ViX moved all logs to this directory to keep the root clean.

ciao

GAH2402
17-05-12, 10:52
Hi Mauri,

Just changed to the new 2.4, so far so good. I suffered many of the issues mentioned, and by a process of elimination (after I'd tried VTI and Blackhole!), I eventually got 2.3 to run perfectly. HDD and USB both formatted in VIX as Ext 4 R/W, 32Gb swap file on USB, and Logs folder moved to USB. One setting which DEFINITELY improved my 2.3 setup was switching OFF debug logs (seems to be off by defaut in 2.4). I also do an auto GUI restart every morning. I also have no plugins to correct the memory leak issue installed.

I'm sure you may have already tried all these things, but stick with VIX, you will get there!

GAH

mauri
17-05-12, 11:32
Hi Mauri,

Just changed to the new 2.4, so far so good. I suffered many of the issues mentioned, and by a process of elimination (after I'd tried VTI and Blackhole!), I eventually got 2.3 to run perfectly. HDD and USB both formatted in VIX as Ext 4 R/W, 32Gb swap file on USB, and Logs folder moved to USB. One setting which DEFINITELY improved my 2.3 setup was switching OFF debug logs (seems to be off by defaut in 2.4). I also do an auto GUI restart every morning. I also have no plugins to correct the memory leak issue installed.

I'm sure you may have already tried all these things, but stick with VIX, you will get there!

GAH
Hm, I feel like a noobie now, but I dont understand how can I use the usb stick - formated as ext 4 - when I want to put in it the picon folder (via my pc)... :O
Again, VTi does not hjave these issues - hence does not make sense to go the road of formating the HDD - rather I jump on VTi boat - though painful it is.

Rob van der Does
17-05-12, 11:39
I would locate the picons in flash: no use using an USB-stick for that. So better not use a stick at all; after all you have an internal HDD.
And indeed: if you say that under VTi you observe no problems, I would think the HDD to be OK.

mauri
17-05-12, 11:50
I would locate the picons in flash: no use using an USB-stick for that. So better not use a stick at all; after all you have an internal HDD.
And indeed: if you say that under VTi you observe no problems, I would think the HDD to be OK.

Now I am puzzled more;

- I have no such directory HDD/logs, actually I can not seem to find any crashlogs of my box
- picons in flash - I thought we should not put anything in internal flash, be it picons, epg. :O (though, when I just reinitialise the usb stick and formated it to EXT4 - meaning swiping the picons and epg that was in there, when box restarted, it had the epg fully loaded (I guess it is 'buffered' onto the internal flash, right?)

Another strange bug - after I formated usb stick in VIX as EXT4, went to EPG settings, when changing the EPG location from internal flash to usb, the box slows down - even crashed the second time.

GAH2402
17-05-12, 13:23
Hi Mauri,

I went through 3 or 4 USB sticks before I found one that worked. One that DIDN'T work had been been in my (Genuine) DM800 for over a year without a problem! I also have a copy of my picons folder on my computer in case i have to re-format the USB stick. However, I've never had to do that since I set up the USB (and HDD) in Vix 2.3. Needless to say when I changed to 2.4 the HDD and USB were seen and mounted immediately. As for EPG data, I didn't mention it earlier but I also keep that on my USB, but I don't do an automatic update, I do it manually once or twice a week.

I was literally tearing my hair out with my Vu Duo (as I don't have much hair these days it's not a good thing to do!) as my previous DM800 had been rock solid. I really was regretting buying the box, and tried every other image I could find, but I kept going back to Vix! Every time I tried a new image I saved my exisiting Vix, and I always went back to my saved version rather than starting again with a clean install. As I say, it was a process of elimination, but it's been worth it. The new EPG layout is superb, so keep trying mate, and hopefuly you'll get there!

GAH

Silent
17-05-12, 13:47

Hi Rob

If you keep your picons in flash, do you also leave your EPG in flash?

I was about to get another USB stick to use for picons and EPG, but maybe I won't based on your reply!

Cheers
Silent

Rob van der Does
17-05-12, 13:56
If you keep your picons in flash, do you also leave your EPG in flash?
I was about to get another USB stick to use for picons and EPG, but maybe I won't based on your reply!
You can, but I wouldn't recommend that. There's always the danger that epg.dat grows too big, thus filling the flash. And there's no need: HDD is a perfect location for epg.

On boxes with an internal HDD I never use a stick. I only use those on boxes that have no HDD.

mauri
17-05-12, 14:03
Hi Rob,

keeping picons in internal flash, wouldn't fill the flash as well? I mean, I have 5 satellites - picons are around 10 megs...
Another question: what folder can I put the picons to the internal flash (I want to put them manually, not installing them thru plugins menu)?
If this will work then I will be happy as everyone else is with the new VIX build.
And yes, the new EPG facelift is gorgeous! :)

Rob van der Does
17-05-12, 14:06
keeping picons in internal flash, wouldn't fill the flash as well? I mean, I have 5 satellites - picons are around 10 megs...
Absolutely no problem. You might even have ten times as much.

mauri
17-05-12, 14:08
Another question: what folder can I put the picons to the internal flash (I want to put them manually, not installing them thru plugins menu)?
If this will work then I will be happy as everyone else is with the new VIX build.
And yes, the new EPG facelift is gorgeous!

Silent
17-05-12, 14:08
You can, but I wouldn't recommend that. There's always the danger that epg.dat grows too big, thus filling the flash. And there's no need: HDD is a perfect location for epg.

On boxes with an internal HDD I never use a stick. I only use those on boxes that have no HDD.

Smashing thanks, I'll move it to HDD later on.

mauri
17-05-12, 14:20
Absolutely no problem. You might even have ten times as much.

And yes, the new EPG facelift is gorgeous! (sorry for the double post, but I needed an answer asap cuz I am trying to fix the duo now... :))

Silent
17-05-12, 14:45
Picons in flash go to: /usr/share/enigma2/picon

Rob van der Does
17-05-12, 14:47
Picons in flash go to: /usr/share/enigma2/picon
Or just to /picon

mauri
17-05-12, 14:57
Or just to /picon
Nope, the box slowed down and eventually rebooted by itself while the picons were being loaded to the mentioned folder (via filezilla).
I suspect the flash is already full. :(
EPG is stored in HDD

It is now i the reboot-crash cycle...
It's driving me nuts!

mauri
17-05-12, 15:00
Nope, the box slowed down and eventually rebooted by itself while the picons were being loaded to the mentioned folder (via filezilla).
I suspect the flash is already full. :(
EPG is stored in HDD

It is now i the reboot-crash cycle...
It's driving me nuts!

Update: there is an error message stuck in the screen LogManager: Error: can't start new thread.

mauri
17-05-12, 15:57
Update: there is an error message stuck in the screen LogManager: Error: can't start new thread.

Yes, the root space was full 100% (checked it with Dreambox Control Center E2).

Now, after reflashing it with VIX 2.4, root has 57 MB available (out of 102 MB), no additional plugins installed yet.
I will check the root space status after each step I will take (epg onto HDD, picons onto flash, etc) and see were it goes.
Uploaded the settings for 5 satellites, no change in root available space.

installed ClearMem plugin - which shows 3% free memory (out of 130 mb, this should be RAM I guess, while root is the internal flash, right?), when you run the 'clean now' command it goes to 46%.

I set EPG.dat location in HDD - download sky uk and sky italia epg, now ClearMem shows ony 2% memory free, when run the 'clean now' shows 26%.
Hence, EPG for these two providers swallows 20% of the memory, right?

- Till now the box seems stable - no picons uploaded yet.
- I will now mount a network drive (LaCie NetworkSpace 2, which is in the same home network as Vu+duo, both boxes connected via ethernet cable into router).

FYI

Rob van der Does
17-05-12, 16:25
Clearmem is indeed about RAM. and it is quite normal for a Linux-system to use almost all memory; so normally that shouldn't worry you.
I think you're on the right track to find out what caused your root to be full. Webbrowser installed? that does such a thing.

mauri
17-05-12, 16:28
Yes, the root space was full 100% (checked it with Dreambox Control Center E2).

Now, after reflashing it with VIX 2.4, root has 57 MB available (out of 102 MB), no additional plugins installed yet.
I will check the root space status after each step I will take (epg onto HDD, picons onto flash, etc) and see were it goes.
Uploaded the settings for 5 satellites, no change in root available space.

installed ClearMem plugin - which shows 3% free memory (out of 130 mb, this should be RAM I guess, while root is the internal flash, right?), when you run the 'clean now' command it goes to 46%.

I set EPG.dat location in HDD - download sky uk and sky italia epg, now ClearMem shows ony 2% memory free, when run the 'clean now' shows 26%.
Hence, EPG for these two providers swallows 20% of the memory, right?

- Till now the box seems stable - no picons uploaded yet.
- I will now mount a network drive (LaCie NetworkSpace 2, which is in the same home network as Vu+duo, both boxes connected via ethernet cable into router).

FYI

- when ClearMem run, shows only 7-8% free memory (I know that Linux considers free memory as wasted, but I am just trying to document all the steps... ;))

- after uploading picons on /root (around 15 mb), CleanMem plugin shows free memory (RAM) 27%, whicle DCCE2 shows the same, unchanged root free space of 56 MB.

Till now, everything looks ok, no crashes yet. :)

To summarize:

Reflashed from scratch with VIX 2.4.69
- no usb stick for epg/picons, instead:
- picons are stored on root (internal flash)
- EPG.dat is stored in HDD
- EPG settings: no daily download, just manually downloading once in a few days.
- installed only CleanMem plugin
- this time I did NOT install Project Valerie 1260

All the above seem to have the box running smoothly.
Fingers crossed! :))

thank you to everyone who patiently read and commentet this thread.
It really made the difference for me!

cheers

mauri
17-05-12, 16:43
Clearmem is indeed about RAM. and it is quite normal for a Linux-system to use almost all memory; so normally that shouldn't worry you.
I think you're on the right track to find out what caused your root to be full. Webbrowser installed? that does such a thing.

hi Rob,
Not sure if webbrowser is the same thing as OpenWebif, if not, then no, was not installed.
Project Valerie 1260 was thou. Maybe all those 00's of posters filled up the root space and clogged up the RAM as well.
I will stay away from PV for a while.

Rob van der Does
17-05-12, 18:01
About clearmem: this plugin is only meant to solve issues that are not supposed to be there (if you understand what I mean). It is a last resort to overcome memory related problems. So as long as no memory issues are being observed I would advise to deactivate the plugin.

For the rest: glad to see that your box seems to be fine now.

Rob van der Does
17-05-12, 18:03
hi Rob,
Not sure if webbrowser is the same thing as OpenWebif, if not, then no, was not installed.
Project Valerie 1260 was thou. Maybe all those 00's of posters filled up the root space and clogged up the RAM as well.
I will stay away from PV for a while.
No, webbrowser is a different thing.
PV should not fill flash. But I didn't use it for quite some time now, and of course bugs can always occur. Anyway: you seem to be able to find your way around problems, so that's good :thumbsup:

mauri
18-05-12, 21:10
just a quick update;

Almost 36 hours without a single crash! Believe me, this a personal record of mine! ;)

Again, thank you all for helping out.

And a BIG THANK YOU to all the programmers and testers for bringing to us a very good image! Keep up the good work guys!
Cheers

mauri
03-06-12, 23:54
No, webbrowser is a different thing.
PV should not fill flash. But I didn't use it for quite some time now, and of course bugs can always occur. Anyway: you seem to be able to find your way around problems, so that's good :thumbsup:

Days without a crash, till when I installed Project Valerie. When tried to go the 'Videos' submenu of PV the box crashed and restarted.
Tried again, the same thing happened. Decided to uninstall PV (with the help of DCC E2 since from the Duo Pluggins menu it did not show when pressed the red button - to remove it). Once I uninstalled it, the box did kept going on the start/crash loop. I hard booted it, but no success. Now I am reflashing it again.
The only plugin installed before PV was airplayer which was running ok. Seems that PV does not like Airplayer, or VIX 2.4 latest build does not like PV at all.
Whatever the reason is, seems that I will need to live without Project Valerie, which is a real shame because it seems to be the only decent 'Media Center'-like movie center for my Duo.
Any suggestions to alternatives of Project Valerie would be very much appreciated.

cheers

judge
04-06-12, 00:32
Project Valerie is a pretty unique plugin & I know of no other plugin that has similar functions so I both love & hate it...
It works fine on a default VIX install, it's when you play with deleting/changing PV DB entries that it messes up.
Best reporting any issues on their issue tracker (https://code.google.com/p/project-valerie/issues/list).

Rob van der Does
04-06-12, 05:07
Exactly: please don't blame us on problems caused by PV........

mauri
04-06-12, 13:19
Project Valerie is a pretty unique plugin & I know of no other plugin that has similar functions so I both love & hate it...
It works fine on a default VIX install, it's when you play with deleting/changing PV DB entries that it messes up.
Best reporting any issues on their issue tracker (https://code.google.com/p/project-valerie/issues/list).
It was a clean install, no DB deletion. Actually the DB was there (posters, descriptions etc).

By the way, PV is not in the VIX plugins anymore, since months actually. :(

@ Rob, I am not blaming VIX or anyone for that matter. I just like PV and wanted so much to have it, while on VIX 2.4. And no, I will not switch back to VTI - although PV worked nicely with it.
Anyways, i will try another reflash and install PV as the only plugin and see where it takes me.

Larry-G
04-06-12, 13:25
It was a clean install, no DB deletion. Actually the DB was there (posters, descriptions etc).

By the way, PV is not in the VIX plugins anymore, since months actually. :(

@ Rob, I am not blaming VIX or anyone for that matter. I just like PV and wanted so much to have it, while on VIX 2.4. And no, I will not switch back to VTI - although PV worked nicely with it.
Anyways, i will try another reflash and install PV as the only plugin and see where it takes me.

I Have not used Valerie for a long time but we did discuss removing it from the feeds ( although i'm not sure if we did or not - not looked to be honest ) due to the problems it always caused when users hit the online update button in Valerie, and hence it not being fully compatible with ViX. Sadly this is one of those times where the plugin needs to be fixed / modified by it's authors for it to be compatible with the image and until that time comes we are unlikely to continue to carry it in the feeds.

mauri
04-06-12, 13:37
I Have not used Valerie for a long time but we did discuss removing it from the feeds ( although i'm not sure if we did or not - not looked to be honest ) due to the problems it always caused when users hit the online update button in Valerie, and hence it not being fully compatible with ViX. Sadly this is one of those times where the plugin needs to be fixed / modified by it's authors for it to be compatible with the image and until that time comes we are unlikely to continue to carry it in the feeds.

Yeah, fair enough, I guess.
What about any similar plugins that work ok with VIX? ie. Xtrend Media Center V1.0? I know it is a different STB, but since it is running on E2, maybe it works for Duo on VIX?

Larry-G
04-06-12, 13:44
rob is always on the look for useful plugins that work well with the ViX image and frequently adds them to his third party feeds for the image. if you find something like that, which you think would be beneficial let him know.

Rob van der Does
04-06-12, 15:08
rob is always on the look for useful plugins that work well with the ViX image and frequently adds them to his third party feeds for the image. if you find something like that, which you think would be beneficial let him know.
And I read here as well :cool:
I tried that plugin but it doesn't work on VU-boxes.

Larry-G
04-06-12, 15:12
And I read here as well :cool:
I tried that plugin but it doesn't work on VU-boxes.

I know you do but i'm sure you would not object to any one approaching you directly with a plugin of interest ? after all even i cant read every single post on the forum even though i pretty much live here.

Rob van der Does
04-06-12, 15:18
I know you do but i'm sure you would not object to any one approaching you directly with a plugin of interest ?
Absolutely no objection at all :thumbsup:

cyberdelic
16-06-12, 20:44
Anyone got Airplayer 2.4 plugin working? With VIX 2.4 on VU+ Duo it starts the service, but IPAD and IPHONE don't find it. On VIX 2.3 it worked perfectly. Any ideas?

mauri
17-06-12, 02:43
Anyone got Airplayer 2.4 plugin working? With VIX 2.4 on VU+ Duo it starts the service, but IPAD and IPHONE don't find it. On VIX 2.3 it worked perfectly. Any ideas?

It works OK with all builds of ViX 2.4 here. FYI

cyberdelic
17-06-12, 10:35
It works OK with all builds of ViX 2.4 here. FYI

Really? I use build 135 and it doesn't work. Service starts, but Ipad doesn't find it. Checked it on different boxes. Really strange, do I need to activate some network plugins like AFP?

Larry-G
17-06-12, 10:39
yes activate the AFP network option as that is required for the receiver to communicate with apple devices.

and i can confirm Airplayer works fine here on all my Vu receivers with ViX 2.4-151.

cyberdelic
18-06-12, 21:05
yes activate the AFP network option as that is required for the receiver to communicate with apple devices.

and i can confirm Airplayer works fine here on all my Vu receivers with ViX 2.4-151.

I updated to 2.4-151 and activated AFP. Still, Airplayer does not show on IPAD. Any other ideas?

mauri
18-06-12, 23:19
I updated to 2.4-151 and activated AFP. Still, Airplayer does not show on IPAD. Any other ideas?

It Sounds like there might be a problem with your apple devices.
Check this troubleshooting guide if it helps you.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4215

Larry-G
18-06-12, 23:35
please dont post live links on the forum, I have coded them for you this time.

mauri
18-06-12, 23:58
please dont post live links on the forum, I have coded them for you this time.

Did not know how to do it on my iPad. Sorry

Larry-G
19-06-12, 00:01
Thats fine, to code links use the code brackets

[code] your link here [#/code] ( remove the # ).

cyberdelic
19-06-12, 20:00
It Sounds like there might be a problem with your apple devices.
Check this troubleshooting guide if it helps you.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4215

My Apple devices are fine as they work without any problem using VIX 2.3.

khafanpardaz
28-12-18, 16:37
delete epg.dat file

Andy_Hazza
28-12-18, 16:40
lol. 6 1/2 year old thread. [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk