PDA

View Full Version : Dead Solo? Try this, could revive your Solo

wrigley
16-05-12, 16:02
this morning i flashed solo with new image 2.4 and now box seems to be stuck in standbye red light on but i can connect to box via ftp have tried 3 diff usb sticks still no luck box is original have had box for 18mths without problem any ideas
thanks in advance

Larry-G
16-05-12, 16:04
Did you flash the bootloader first ?.

wrigley
16-05-12, 16:08
no i didnt need to as is was done when i put vix 2.3 204 on last time

Larry-G
16-05-12, 16:14
Your correct as you were on 2.3-204 you dont need to update the bootloader but I would still try just to be on the safe side.

Sicilian
16-05-12, 16:17
this morning i flashed solo with new image 2.4

Image is just an unfortunate coincedence, try as Pheonix suggests.

wrigley
16-05-12, 16:20
will update the bootloader again and get back with the result thanks again :)

wrigley
16-05-12, 17:46
just an update box is still the same stuck in what seems like standby at a total loss now to what the prob can be

wazza_2
16-05-12, 18:34
hi mate, I had the same problem and sent box back to supplier and they came up with this fix. Switch the box off, on the rear side.
choose in putty for serial connect, speed must be set to 115200 and choose you`re comport.
Put the box on, when you`re connection is oke, you wil see some text scrolling over the putty screen.
Now use the ctrl + c key to stop the booting.
copy the following line in the screen:

boot -z -elf flash0.kernel: 'rootfstype=jffs2 root=/dev/mtdblock0 rw mem=0x8000000 bcmrac=3`

The box now reboot from the flash, so watch you`re box.
Then open telnet with dcc and put in the following line.

flash_eraseall /dev/mtd5

and after that the following line

reboot -f

Then you`re box is running again.

It may work for you, nothing beats a try.

wrigley
16-05-12, 22:27
i have just followed wazza_2 post and i can now say that my box has been reborn all working fine now
thank you all for your help (need to find a new door stop now lol ) :thumbsup:

Sicilian
17-05-12, 05:43
Thanks for the info wazza_2, changed title and made a sticky.

@ wrigley, thanks for confirming.

lig
21-05-12, 22:45
Hi:

Have a dead solo.Planning to try this method. Planning to use a USB to serial adapter on my laptop as the laptop doesn't have a serial port. Is this correct ?

Thanks
Lig

lig
24-05-12, 00:30
Tried to download ViX-2.3.204-vusolo_usb.zip . The image was flashed successfully. I would caution users on the following :

I had a faulty memory stick to start off with. Once I identified this,I downloade ViX-2.3.204-vusolo_usb.zip .The flash worked this time. The SOLO doesn't have the display like the DUO . Hence , you need to keep looking at the LED to turn 'Flashing' GREEN from 'Still' RED. Then WAIT for a good 12-15 minutes.DONOT restart the box in haste. The box restarts on it's own and the image takes a few extra minutes to load the first time.

Patience is the name of the game.....
Lig

judge
24-05-12, 00:55
Why are you still downloading ViX-2.3?
2.4 is available, also I've never had to wait 12-15 minutes after the flashing green, I just whip the USB out & reboot, never had an issue.

WOIIFTM
11-07-12, 20:56
Any idea if this works on other Vu+ models too?

Maxwell
11-07-12, 20:57
what problem do you have and with which unit

WOIIFTM
13-07-12, 22:29
A mate's new Vu+ Duo with OpenPli preinstalled got bricked after an online update of OpenPli. Nothing helps to revive the box, remains stalled at starting.... Looking at different options to cure this since nothing of the traditional approaches seems to work.

Mr. Mister
13-07-12, 22:51
A mate's new Vu+ Duo with OpenPli preinstalled got bricked after an online update of OpenPli. Nothing helps to revive the box, remains stalled at starting.... Looking at different options to cure this since nothing of the traditional approaches seems to work.

You mates box was prolly a clone if its bricked after an update..

WOIIFTM
17-07-12, 22:55
Maybe, but there are other people having the same issue on older boxes, those from a clone-free time. The box in question was returned to the seller but this still leaves me wondering if a similar approach but perhaps with different parameters would work to revive a dead Duo.

I already had to revive my Duo (100% not a clone) from a only-red-light-in-display situation by replacing an Elco on the motherboard. Without getting a vital hint online, the box would either have been binned or send for (expensive) repairs. Now it took me an hour and about 50 euro cent for the Elco.

jimmychen
22-09-12, 19:08
does anybody know if a fix has been discovered for the duo.mine after being turned off will no longer start.it doesnt begin to boot then hang,just red light.

basilyoung
22-09-12, 19:23
if you have a duo, please post in the correct section, and obviously start a new thread, even if you have a solo, its best to start your own thread

the reason is, other peoples threads are dedicated to them to solve there problem, your problem although simular, is,nt likely to be the same problem, this will lead to confusion

thank you

jimmychen
22-09-12, 19:58
if you have a duo, please post in the correct section, and obviously start a new thread, even if you have a solo, its best to start your own thread

the reason is, other peoples threads are dedicated to them to solve there problem, your problem although simular, is,nt likely to be the same problem, this will lead to confusion

thank you

apologies....
i just thought as the thread had deviated from its original subject already,and a moderator had made constructive comments on the new subject,this being a sticky may have helped me .
will start a new thread shortly

basilyoung
22-09-12, 20:56
apologies....
i just thought as the thread had deviated from its original subject already,and a moderator had made constructive comments on the new subject,this being a sticky may have helped me .
will start a new thread shortly

you are correct, in that the orig post has deviated, ( I had not read the entire thread ) but you have a duo, which is what alerted me to your post, and my reply was,nt a reprimand, just advice,
any way, hopefully, we can assist you in your new thread

zhshs
12-11-12, 01:58
Can you tell me what tools you used? thanks!

vendor
27-10-13, 15:34
HI.
I have problem with my vu solo. I used wrong flash file (duo_cfe_3_0_usb) for my VU+ SOLO. Now I not able to use correct reflash cfe_solo_2.0.zip. My VU+ SOLO not able to read USB during start. I tried connect via serial port, but its not work. Led on front panel is red. Have a some idea or I have to put it into trash. :-) Thaks

huey45
03-05-14, 12:46
hi wazza_2
That's a brilliant guide for box recovery, im not to bad with dcc, but putty is a grey area for me
can you give me a idea how I access it ??

s24dor
01-08-14, 10:39
Hi, im trying to update a friends vu solo, and keep getting this problem at the end

Code: (Bad address in epc)

---[ end trace 1f1700f1b0bbd05e ]---
Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception in interrupt
Rebooting in 180 seconds..

Alios
18-12-14, 19:20
I hope some body will come to help.

Moo
11-02-15, 18:08
I tried the fix on the first page of the thread which worked for me once but the box reverted back to red light and unresponsive after a day or so. Now I cannot connect via serial, I get this or similar every time I start the box:

BCM73250010
0▒▒b
K1
K2

K3

K4

It seems like the bootloader(?) is being corrupted or something along those lines. Is it possible the flash memory is done for? Does anyone have any ideas, or should I just give up on it?