PDA

View Full Version : 500g Hard drive

Bigtag
13-05-12, 17:23
Is 500g enough capacity for recording nowadays? I'm about to order a VU+ Duo from our sponsors but don't know weather to buy a 1TB HD and fit it myself or go with a pre-installed 500g box. The options are with or without a 500g hard drive, I don't know if you can buy a VU+Duo with a 1TB fitted can you?.

Mr. Mister
13-05-12, 17:54
Anybody who fills a 500GB hdd is doing pretty well..

I got 1TB`s and 2TB`s in all of mine.. and never came close to filling those.. Ever..

If i had it to do again.. Then i would defo go for the 500GB..

Larry-G
13-05-12, 18:02
yes 500GB should be enough for your needs.

Stanman
13-05-12, 18:45
I have 500GB in Duo, Ultimo and ET9K and nevercome lose to filling them up but I tend to delete almost all my recordings afterbwatching them.

I have 8 Autotimers on HD channels and durig the holidays were left two weekw umwatched and still had plenty space.

If your goimg to keep your recordings than big is bette but if your gonna watch and delete than 500 is more than enough.

xarqi
14-05-12, 04:51
I record everything that looks even vaguely interesting and keep pretty much all of it on the basis that if I thought it might be worth watching once, it'll probably be worth watching twice.
I have a 1 TB disc in my Vu+ Duo, but I'm up to - let's see - 10.5 TB+ of stored files. I'm about 6 months behind in taking out the ads to render the material watchable though.
Disc drives are cheap (but not as cheap as they were before a couple of disasters in the last year or so), and I was adding 2 TB about every 4 months. My requirements will drop though, as we've just lost the only satellite channel we had access to with FTA HD content, and low-ad, high quality content at that. That was SBS, intended for Tasmania, but on a beam that also covered us in NZ. NZ FTA TV, by satellite, or otherwise, is a national embarrassment.

So, I guess my point is, the storage you need depends on how you intend to use the box.

BornEvil
14-05-12, 06:01
I have 500GB in all my STBs, it is more then enough for me.

I am the type that likes to watch the latest episodes ASAP, I don't backlog my watch list. If you stack up your watch list to fill all the way up to 1tb+, then most of the stuff will become old and I would not bother watching it. That is just my mentality.

I personally think now is a very bad time to buy HDDs, considering a 2TB was half the price they were 1 year ago. all my HDDs were salvaged from old Sly HD boxes. They are pretty quiet too

Huevos
14-05-12, 09:31
All depends on you. I have had a 2TB drive in my Ultimo since the end of January and 1.2TB is already used up. And I delete most stuff once it has been watched once. HD recordings take up huge amounts of space, and recordings are not compressed like they are on a hard-drive recorder.