PDA

View Full Version : Philips 40" LED TV

mcquaim
12-05-12, 18:18
Hi folks,

I know this is not the section for LED TV's but we don't have one lol...

I was over in a mates gaff last weekend and he has two new Philips 40PFL9705H / 12 LED TV's, they look really snazzy but man I wasn't impressed (Didn't tell him that though...)

He only has an aerial so it was between watching DTT tv or playing avi's with the USB port that we were watching it but the picture was really strange, made a good looking film look like a made-for-tv movie.

It is hard to explain, the TV didn't seem to handle fast moving pictures at all. It was like watching somebody's version of the movie that was filmed on a camcorder, not smooth..

Is this a known issue with LED or just this model I'm wondering?

I was thinking of upgrading my LCD tv but if this is what you get when moving to LED then no way will I upgrade..

Cheers,
mcquaim

fintannl
12-05-12, 20:12
have the 40pfl8605. sd picture is poor. hd picture is without comparison

Sicilian
13-05-12, 09:35
Panasonic plasma for me, just dont like either LCD or LED.

irishchris
13-05-12, 09:42
I have LCD and plasma downstairs and a led in bedroom.have to agree with sicilian that the plasma has by far the better picture but my led tv far outshines both my LCD screens.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk

Stanman
13-05-12, 09:50
Have to agree Plasma panny outshines my LCD sammy, shades of black are hard to pick our on the lcd but plasma is brilliant.

Maxwell
13-05-12, 09:53
just for clarification - A LED TV is actually a LCD panel that is backlit by LEDs rather than the fluorescent tubes that are in standard normal LCDs,
LCDs are all notoriously crap at motion handling and that washed out pastel colour look. In the shops they are shown in a demo mode with contrast at 100% and other settings as high as possible to make them stand out, these settings are nowhere near what they need to be, another trick regularly used in shops is to stick one between 2 other TVs setup as badly as possible and fed a crap feed via coax whilst the one they want to sell you is fed with HD via HDMI making it look stunning in comparison.
A properly setup Plasma will wipe the floor with them visually everytime. Go for Samsung or Panasonic although LG are not far behind.

mcquaim
13-05-12, 10:07
Cheers lads, the issue with this philips led was way more than not displaying shades of grey! It is hard to explain, picture looks really sharp but motion is shocking!

I would find it really hard to actually watch a movie on it..

It is obviously not an issue in general with led tv's though, I was concerned that this was the newly accepted norm... Plasma by the sounds of things is still the benchmark!

Cheers,
mcquaim

Dave-H
13-05-12, 10:43
just for clarification - A LED TV is actually a LCD panel that is backlit by LEDs rather than the fluorescent tubes that are in standard normal LCDs,
LCDs are all notoriously crap at motion handling and that washed out pastel colour look. In the shops they are shown in a demo mode with contrast at 100% and other settings as high as possible to make them stand out, these settings are nowhere near what they need to be, another trick regularly used in shops is to stick one between 2 other TVs setup as badly as possible and fed a crap feed via coax whilst the one they want to sell you is fed with HD via HDMI making it look stunning in comparison.

Thank you! Was about to post similar myself, one of my pet hates is the way TV manufacturers touted/marketed LED as new panel tech, when it's just a different way of backlighting.

A properly setup Plasma will wipe the floor with them visually everytime. Go for Samsung or Panasonic although LG are not far behind.

Don't agree with this.

You can't generalise these days, all tech's have moved on/improved significantly over the last few years (especially motion handling - I think one of the problems is the picture processing/motion handling TVs include, they're crap and should be turned off} and there's good and bad of each type, and they all have there pro's and cons too.

I saw a properly calibrated (ISF) Philips LED TV at a friends recently, and it was stunning, and on a par with my Kuro (calibrated with a SpyderTV 3 sensor/colorrimeter and HCFR s/w)

cactikid
13-05-12, 10:48
i was lucky to find a pioneer kuro 50" it loves the fast moving images with no problem,and i had a samsung in bedroom for 2 weeks with old coaxial cable feed it sucked with crappy colours,brought back and got a 37" panny breathtaking picture:alien:now:D.
most people dont road test a tv before buying and end up with comet effect with fast moving objects,other things over looked are a warranty:confused::eek:kak happens:fart2:

stumpey
14-05-12, 16:57
I agree 50 inch Panasonic plasma for me best picture by far.

Steve

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2