PDA

View Full Version : total newbie unsure what firmware i have

huhana
12-05-12, 01:38
total newbie

Need some help as seller (xx-xxx-xx) not responding. i bought vu+ duo (not clone)

i'm unsure what firmware i have been sold. it says:

version Nov 8 2011 -vuplus_experimental

Image: experimental 2011-11-08

what firmware is this?

I would like to upgrade or completely change firmware, vix, pli, etc

Can I do this on line and if so how? link to instructions etc?

Also is it easier just to flash?

Will new flash/firmware replace deleted root/password from folder? (accidentally...long story and completely lost all ftp / telnet access) 'change root password' plugin ineffectual as folder gone!

thankyou for your help

Stanman
12-05-12, 11:10
Please do not post multiple threads asking the same question across the forum.

Thanks.

Larry-G
12-05-12, 11:26
total newbie

Need some help as seller (xx-xxx-xx) not responding. i bought vu+ duo (not clone)

i'm unsure what firmware i have been sold. it says:

version Nov 8 2011 -vuplus_experimental

what firmware is this?

I would like to upgrade or completely change firmware, vix, pli, etc

Can I do this on line and if so how? link to instructions etc?

Also is it easier just to flash?

Will new flash/firmware replace deleted root/password from folder? (accidentally...long story and completely lost all ftp / telnet access) 'change root password' plugin ineffectual as folder gone!

thankyou for your help

To be honest i'm not really sure what image that refers to but not to worry as It is a very easy process to flash a new image to the receiver Via a USB stick, however as your image is dated last November you would be wise to also update your bootloader to the latest version ( V3.0 ) before you flash the image it self.

The process of flashing the receiver with a new image is basically the same as loading a new OS to a PC so yes it will erase all previous settings and passwords.

There are lots of threads on the forum detailing the process of flashing the receiver.

have a look here for the latest ViX image and bootloader

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?14236-Vu-Duo-ViX-2-3-(Linux-3-1-1)-Image-Release-s

have a quick read of this it should help you.

Flashing a new image to your Vu+ Duo

A few things you will need first.

1. A USB stick / key formatted the FAT32
2. The newest Vu+Duo bootloader ( duo_cfe_3_0_usb.zip )
3. The ViX image ( Current public version is ViX-2.3-204-vuduo_usb.zip )
4. A little patience and some ones hand to hold if you have a nervous disposition.
5. A clean pair of underpants ( just in case ).

To start we are going to first flash the Bootloader ( duo_cfe_3_0_usb.zip )

1. Power the receiver down by the power switch at the rear.
2. decompress the bootloader file and place the folder ( vuplus ) onto the USB stick.
3. place the USB stick into any USB port on the receiver then power the receiver on by the button at the rear.

IMPORTANT
NEVER remove the USB stick from the box while flashing either the bootloader or any image without first seeing the VFD prompt to do so and only then after powering the receiver down first.
Failure to do so could lead to a very expensive hardware failure more commonly known as a "BRICK". As your expensive receiver is now effectivly now only usefull as a house brick.

you should now see a message on the VFD display of the Duo that the USB stick is being read and once done you will see a message telling you to remove the stick and reboot.

Power off the receiver then remove the USB stick, once again format the stick to FAT32. Now decompress the image file ( ViX-2.3-204-vuduo_usb.zip ) again placing the folder named vuplus onto the stick and follow the same procedure as above for flashing the bootloader.

Note that while the bootloader took only a few seconds to flash and complete a full image flash will take a few minutes, Once completed and you see the VFD prompt you can again power down the receiver and remove the USB stick.

you can now power the box back on and allow it to boot, This proccess may take a few minutes but once complete you will be presented with a Wizard screen that will guide you through the various setup options.

Larry-G
12-05-12, 13:13
after looking into it a little further it seems your running the last kernel 2.6.18 image PLI produced for the Duo so you will have to update the bootloader in order to use a newer 3.1.1 kernel based image.

huhana
13-05-12, 01:15
o.k. sorry

huhana
13-05-12, 04:06
firstly thanks for well documented instructions.

When i tried to flash bootloader nothing happened vu+ just booted up normally.
Followed instructions to a T.
Usb 3 stick formatted fat 32. tested first, plays mp3 files in vu+ o.k
so on stick ...
vuplus/duo/cfe_cfe_auto.bin, also update.txt file, should i have removed this? Can't imagine why.

The bootloader is dated 4/10/2011

My image is dated:

So, if my bootloader is current should i have received a message to say so, or would it just boot into normal mode as it did? This is what I am suspecting that I have latest bootloader.

If I go ahead and try to flash new image and don't have correct bootloader what will happen?
cheers

Larry-G
13-05-12, 05:50
Im not sure the exact date the new ( 3.0 ) bootloader came out but it never hurts to flash it just to be sure, as for flashing the bootloader it's the exact same procedure as flashing a image and when it's done ( only takes 2 seconds ) you should see the same "Remove USB stick and reboot" message you would if flashing a image. if your not seeing this it suggests it's not reading the files from the usb stick. Try another USB stick if you can as even though it has read files in the past it may not be upto the task of flashing the box, These receivers can be temperamental with the USB sticks the accept.

If you dont have the newest bootloader flashed and try a linux 3.1.1 kernel image it simply wont boot and will stick with the starting message on the VFD of the receiver. You can remedy this however at any time by either flashing a older image or flashing the bootloader.

huhana
13-05-12, 09:49
tena koe!
used a very old, slow usb stick I pulled out from the recesses and voila updated bootloader. Need to decide now what image to use. There's such a choice but as I don't know anyone else with one of these boxes I've never seen another image. What's good about ViX? Do remote buttons change with the different images?
thanks again for your help

Stanman
13-05-12, 09:57
Obiously I am a supporte of ViX but imho you will not go wrong. Andy has put a lot of effort in yo making Vix the best imagr to use.

Its down you personal choice but if I was you, would put Vix on configure t how you want, back up the image and than try others anduse the one you like.

If you want to come back to vix than just need to restore your back up