PDA

View Full Version : DiSeqc Motor and Vu Duo?

GAH2402
10-05-12, 15:01
Hi Guys,

I currently use a Manhattan receiver to move my old 1m dish with polar mount. However, the Manhattan has packed in, so now is the time to upgrade. My idea is a new 1m (or possibly 1.1m) dish with an Inverto Black Ultra Twin LNB, and possibly a Technomate TM-2600 DiSeqc Motor connected to my Vu Duo running the latest Vix. Anyone using a similar setup, or can anyone say why I should or shouldn't use the TM-2600 with my Vu Duo?

GAH

Stanman
10-05-12, 20:58
Quite a few people do, there is already a thread with some recommendations on it do a search foe alsat superior died

GAH2402
10-05-12, 21:25
Hi Stanman,

Thanks for the reply.

Had searched the forum before i posted, but hadn't found that thread. It would seem lots of people are using the TM-2600 or the DarkMotor, so I think I'll be safe enough with either of them!

Cheers,
GAH

Huevos
11-05-12, 13:58
I currently use a Manhattan receiver to move my old 1m dish with polar mount. However, the Manhattan has packed in, so now is the time to upgrade.Easiest option is a V-box to replace the Manhattan. The Vu+ controls the V-box and the V-box controls the dish motor. Much stronger option than a DiSEqC motor. Personally I like the Clarke-Tech G-box.

My idea is a new 1m (or possibly 1.1m) dish with an Inverto Black Ultra Twin LNB, and possibly a Technomate TM-2600 DiSeqc Motor connected to my Vu Duo running the latest Vix. Anyone using a similar setup, or can anyone say why I should or shouldn't use the TM-2600 with my Vu Duo?On DiSEqC motors I like the Clarke-Tech HH390. It's a strong motor with upper and lower bearings on the stub shaft. And the cables come out the back of the motor, rather than out of the base like the Technomate, so there's less chance of getting caught up when the motor turns.

My personal view is 90cm dish is about the maximum to hang on a DiSEqC motor. The motor stub is only 40mm in diameter so any bigger a dish than than that and it will go out of alignment everytime there is a moderate wind. And also the motor is overloaded so it will develop lots of backlash and fail prematurely. And lastly, don't forget the power for the DiSEqC motor is only 13 volts and comes from the receiver so overloading it is putting a strain directly on the Vu+ receiver.

DiSEqC motor (USALS) is much easier to set up than a polar mount though which I guess is why people go this way even when the dish is oversize.

GAH2402
11-05-12, 16:29
Hi Huevos,

Thanks for the information.

I hadn't thought about a V-Box, but I understand where you're coming from. I would think you're correct about a DiSeqC mount being easier to set up, which may explain why they're so popular. For me there's the added bonus of one less box under the tv, which probably means I will go for the DiSeqc option. I'm probably going to stick at a 1m dish though, as I don't think I'll get any more satellites with a bigger dish due to the portion of the arc I can actually see (approx 30E to 30W).

GAH

Huevos
11-05-12, 17:21
The thing with you is you are already set up for a V-box because it is a direct swap for the Manhattan. And it is easier to set up than the Manhatten. I've got a couple of ST550 and I'd much rather have a V-box. I saw an offer on the Clarke-Tech G-box recently for 25 GBP but I can't remember where.

I've got a few different dishes here to test with but to cut a long story short: one of the things I really like about having the V-box under the tv is the feedback. It displays the actuator count while the dish is moving. With a DiSEqC motor there is no feedback and the blinking icon is meaningless as it keeps flashing until a signal is received even if the dish is not moving.

digi247
11-05-12, 17:45
Huevos is absolutely spot on if you already have a 36v setup stick with it if your looking to change then the Dark Motor is a re-badged CT-HH390

alba1978
11-05-12, 21:29
I have had a TM 2600 for over 2 years and use with my et9200 with 1m dish and it works perfect from 28.2 east to 30 west.i have latest vix . Usin diseq 1.2 as my dish is not properly aligned for usals

GAH2402
12-05-12, 09:19
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your input.

I have bitten the bullet and ordered a new 1m dish, an Intelligent DarkMotor and an Inverto Black Twin Ultra LNB. I only have a single LNB on my present setup, so now seems a good time to change!

GAH