PDA

View Full Version : EPG Setup

rafter_01
09-05-12, 08:39
Morning,

Receiver was running fine until i attempted to install CROSSEPG. Not entirely sure if ive installed CROSSEPG correctly. Does anyone have a guide or some screenshots that i can look at to configure EPG settings in the best way? So many settings gets confusing.

Im running VIX 2.3, mgcamd 1.35a with RATs bouquet.

Is crossepg the most stable epg service for VIX? which other ones can i use?

many thanks

mcquaim
09-05-12, 11:58
Hi there,

I use CrossEPG as I like the OpenTV option it provides (takes the schedule directly from the satellite)

Is it the most stable, I'm not sure, works for me anyway..

To set it up, for 28.2 this is what I do!

Menu->Setup->System->EPG->Settings (set location to USB)

Then,

Menu->Setup->System->EPG->CrossEPG->Settings

1. Force reload on startup: yes
2. Schedule download: yes (set a time)
3. Download on tune: yes

Then,

Menu->Setup->System->EPG->OpenTV

1. Select your satellite and press ok
2. Press the yellow button to manually download the epg data

Now that you have CrossEPG scheduled to run each night you won't have to go near the setup again!

Cheers,
mcquaim

rafter_01
09-05-12, 12:38
Hi there,

I use CrossEPG as I like the OpenTV option it provides (takes the schedule directly from the satellite)

Is it the most stable, I'm not sure, works for me anyway..

To set it up, for 28.2 this is what I do!

Menu->Setup->System->EPG->Settings (set location to USB)

Then,

Menu->Setup->System->EPG->CrossEPG->Settings

1. Force reload on startup: yes
2. Schedule download: yes (set a time)
3. Download on tune: yes

Then,

Menu->Setup->System->EPG->OpenTV

1. Select your satellite and press ok
2. Press the yellow button to manually download the epg data

Now that you have CrossEPG scheduled to run each night you won't have to go near the setup again!

Cheers,
mcquaim

hey thanks for your reply..

why do you set the location to USB and not to harddrive? I set mine to the hard drive

mcquaim
09-05-12, 13:11
If you have it set to HDD then every time you change channel you will have to wait until the disk spins up to retrieve the epg data!

Best practice is to store epg and picons on a USB stick!

rafter_01
09-05-12, 13:34
If you have it set to HDD then every time you change channel you will have to wait until the disk spins up to retrieve the epg data!

oh cool, makes sense..

What size memory stick do you use? do you utilise the back USB port of the box?

ta

judge
09-05-12, 13:49

No, not for EPG. EPG is read and held in RAM on booting the box & after a download, not on channel switching.

rafter_01
09-05-12, 13:55
No, not for EPG. EPG is read and held in RAM on booting the box & after a download, not on channel switching.

oh okay but is this still the case when i point the epg location to HDD?

judge
09-05-12, 14:02
Yes, It might slow down booting of the box waiting for HD to spin up so it can be read, but other than that, shouldn't cause any issues.

mcquaim
09-05-12, 14:04

Cheers judge, didn't know that! I had always thought they were pulled directly!

Each day is a school day :thumbsup:

mcquaim
09-05-12, 14:06
Yes, It might slow down booting of the box waiting for HD to spin up so it can be read, but other than that, shouldn't cause any issues.

Unless he has his picons on the HDD too as that 100% deffo slows up channel switching!!

discuit
11-05-12, 15:55
Does Picons on a USB Slow anything down?

Mr. Mister
11-05-12, 16:51
No they dont..

If picons are stored on HDD and you decide to change channel.. It will take 3-5 seconds for channel to change as box is looking on the HDD for the picon for the channel you have selected.. The reason it takes so long is the HDD has to spin back up to speed before your Duo can even start to look for it..

This is why they are always stored on USB.. No spin up time.. and therfore its totally instant..