PDA

View Full Version : Keep Vu+ Duo Switched Off After AC Power Restoration

andyking35
08-05-12, 13:41
Every night I switch all devices off at the mains and switch them back on the following day.

My Vu+ Duo automatically switches itself on which is not what I want. All my other devices revert to standby state and it is just the duo that switches itself on.

The reason for this problem is that when I switch the mains on the morning, I might not want to watch tv and dont want the duo wasting electricity.

I have searched for any configuration to do this, including the Vix Image power manager but with no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sandman
08-05-12, 13:45
Ignore me....misread question!

pooface
08-05-12, 14:08
Have you tried the startup to standby plugin. I can't remember where abouts it is in the plugin feed, but it's either under extensions or system plugins...

I have never used it, but it's supposed to set the box to start up to standby (as the name kind of suggests :D)

Rob van der Does
08-05-12, 16:00
The 'startup-to-standby' plugin does just that, but I can't seem to find it anywhere anymore.
But two remarks on this:
1- In deepsleep the DUO uses <1W. For such a small powerconsumption, I would suggest to leave the box in that state, and
2- the difference in powerconsumption between "on" and 'Standby' is almost nil. Only the video-and audio outputs are being switched off.

So all in all I would suggest to use the AutoStandby plugin. Set it e.g. to go to deepsleep after 60 minutes of inactivity: then the box will go to deep sleep whter it's day or night. The box will neatly awake itself to make any planned recordings, and powersavings will be much higher then the way you do it.
Only drawback is a slight slower startup, largely depending on your settings.

andyking35
08-05-12, 19:10
I found it under menu->setup->vix->manage extensions->system.

However, after selecting it to install it simply refuses to isntall for some reason. Does anyone know where I can get the installer from to do a manual install? Googling for it returned nothing.

andyking35
08-05-12, 20:15
I should point out that other packages wont install either. AFter hitting ok it simply so 0 packages were installed, updated or removed.

Rob van der Does
08-05-12, 20:53
You're talking about the 'autostandby'-plugin?

andyking35
08-05-12, 23:38
No the 'startup-to-standby' plugin.

Rob van der Does
09-05-12, 05:34
No the 'startup-to-standby' plugin.
OK.
But as I tried to explain, the autostandby-plugin will give you more profit.

andyking35
09-05-12, 14:08
I already have the autostandby plugin setup. The startup-to-standby plugin does something very different i.e. it sets the box to standby on startup after ac power loss.

I have the autostandby set to switch to standby after 15mins of inactivity so at the moment 15mins will pass till the box switches itself off after i switch on at the mains.

Rob van der Does
09-05-12, 14:39
I already have the autostandby plugin setup. The startup-to-standby plugin does something very different i.e. it sets the box to standby on startup after ac power loss......
Indeed, as I tried to explain.....

I have the autostandby set to switch to standby after 15mins of inactivity so at the moment 15mins will pass till the box switches itself off after i switch on at the mains.
But why StandBy and not DeepSleep? Standby doesn't save power, DeepSleep does.

pooface
09-05-12, 15:21

I think you'll find that will get very annoying... Every 15 minutes whilst watching a program, it will ask if you want to shutdown... Imagine, missus watching eastenders alone will ask you if you want to shut down twice...

pooface
09-05-12, 15:22
But why StandBy and not DeepSleep? Standby doesn't save power, DeepSleep does.

The default action of the autoshutdown is to put it in to deep sleep is it not?!

Rob van der Does
09-05-12, 15:26
I think you'll find that will get very annoying... Every 15 minutes whilst watching a program, it will ask if you want to shutdown... .
15 min is indeed too short: I set it to 1 hour, which seems to be fine. After every action (button push) the timer starts again.

The default action of the autoshutdown is to put it in to deep sleep is it not?!
I don't know what the defaults are, but it can be set to standby as well as to off (deep sleep).

pooface
09-05-12, 16:10
I don't know what the defaults are, but it can be set to standby as well as to off (deep sleep).

Indeed, you can. The way I had to do it (box never goes in to deep sleep unless I tell it to):

See, as default (well, when I did it it did), the autoshutdown means to put it in to deep sleep. So, have to disable that. Mine goes in to standby after being left on for 2 hours...

andyking35
10-05-12, 12:29
It is a pain having to use this autoshutdown to set it to sleep after AC power restoration which is exactly what the startupfromstandby plugin is for. Has anyone managed to install this via the vix extensions menu or do you get the same message as i do stating 0 plugins were installed, removed or updated?

I have setup the autoshutdown plugin also but there's one major problem with this - i had it set to go to deep sleep after 1 hr in standby and it cut out one of my recordings. There seems to be no option to stop it going to deep sleep if the box is in standby and a recording is in progress. Seems a major flaw to me.

Trial
10-05-12, 14:10
Hi,
there are at least two other plugins with similar functions. screensaver and elektro. Perhaps one of these will respect recordings.

ciao

Rob van der Does
10-05-12, 14:25
....I have setup the autoshutdown plugin also but there's one major problem with this - i had it set to go to deep sleep after 1 hr in standby and it cut out one of my recordings. There seems to be no option to stop it going to deep sleep if the box is in standby and a recording is in progress. Seems a major flaw to me.
Hmmm, strange, never happens here. And I use the plugin all the time.

andyking35
10-05-12, 15:03
I think you'll find that will get very annoying... Every 15 minutes whilst watching a program, it will ask if you want to shutdown... Imagine, missus watching eastenders alone will ask you if you want to shut down twice...

Actually that happened earlier :D.

andyking35
10-05-12, 15:07
Hmmm, strange, never happens here. And I use the plugin all the time.

Yeh happened here twice last night. Probably because i had it set to go to deep sleep after 30 mins of standby which isnt enough so have increased both limits. The plugin has no concept of recordings and will try the other two plugins that Trial suggested as well.

I'm starting to feel the Vix 2.3 image is buggy and this is the impression I get off other forums. I might even try reflashing again to see if it makes a difference.

I wonder if you (or anyone else) could please try going to menu->setup->vix->manage extensions->system and installing an extension. When I do this it wont work for any plugin and if this doesn't happen for other people then I might try reflashing.

pooface
10-05-12, 15:48
Yeh happened here twice last night. Probably because i had it set to go to deep sleep after 30 mins of standby which isnt enough so have increased both limits. The plugin has no concept of recordings and will try the other two plugins that Trial suggested as well.

I'm starting to feel the Vix 2.3 image is buggy and this is the impression I get off other forums. I might even try reflashing again to see if it makes a difference.

I wonder if you (or anyone else) could please try going to menu->setup->vix->manage extensions->system and installing an extension. When I do this it wont work for any plugin and if this doesn't happen for other people then I might try reflashing.

Can't try that myself at the minute, but what happens if you go to menu -> plugins -> Green (download), and try to install it from there?