PDA

View Full Version : Tm 6900 hd super combo Power supply problems?

zudrick
06-05-12, 19:19
My tm 6900 hd super combo powers up ok and after a few mins the screen flickers and the whole set freezes can not do anything with it other than switch it off wait then switch back on but it will do it again in a few mins. I have noticed that if i've got my usb drive pluged in it seems to do it sooner. Any help on this matter would be most helpful.

TK4|2|1
06-05-12, 20:01
Power supplies mainly only go wrong on start up from cold (been powered down not standby) after a period of time as the electrolytic capacitors "dry up".

Easy way to test if it's capacitors is to remove the top and look at the power supply. Unplug it from the mains first.
The tops of the capacitors should not be bulging but be flat.
Another way to test if capacitors are faulty, is to get hold of the wife's hair dryer and heat the psu up, put top back on, then switch on and see if it works.

if bulging or hair dry works it will need psu repairing or replacing.

zudrick
06-05-12, 20:17
Have replaced 2x 1500uf 10v caps on psu board and 2x 100uf 6.3v caps on motherboard that where bulging? but it's still doing the same thing. I was thinking it might be the Voltage Regulators (the ones with heatsinks)

TK4|2|1
07-05-12, 08:31
Hard to say without a circuit diagram, multimeter and oscilloscope or swapping for another psu, sorry.

zudrick
07-05-12, 15:00
It seems to freeze sooner when i connect any of my usb drives are plugged in suggesting that the psu it not supplying enough power. Will go to local shop tomorrow and the tech guy there

zudrick
23-05-12, 18:21
Got a new Power supply from Technomate but am still having the same problem, can no one on this site help?

Sicilian
24-05-12, 15:02
What sort or USB drives? Flash drives? HDD? Powered or self powered? What file system on the drives?

zudrick
25-05-12, 10:06
Just a usb flash drive 2 gb in size

Sicilian
25-05-12, 10:11
Just a usb flash drive 2 gb in size

I'm assuming you've tried other USB Flash drives? Also have you formatted FAT32?

zudrick
25-05-12, 10:24
Yes formatted FAT32 and someone suggested on another site to backup channel list, Factory reset, Load 742 orig firmware, Factory reset, Load patch 745P, Load Add-on, Factory reset, Reload channel list, and
Load latest softcam to which i did and i am still having the same problem. I am running card share on the set. But i can report it does't freeze while watching FTA channels just the encrypted channels make it freeze so come on guys get your thinking caps on????????????????????????????

Sicilian
25-05-12, 10:31
Please less of the cardshare talk, against the rules here ;)

In all honesty if its freezing as soon as you attach any USB device I'd say its something to do with the motherboard. Pretty sure the USB is hard soldered to the motherboard on a 6900.

zudrick
25-05-12, 10:39
I know we are not supposed to talk about it, and that is the reason why we have these's sets to watch foreign encrypted channels.
The usb on the front connects to the main board via a cable, the one on the rear of the set is hard soldered to the motherboard which i don't use.
Even without using the usb i am still having the same problem?

Sicilian
25-05-12, 10:52
Ok, I was under the impression it only froze with USB stick.

Does it freeze on FTA channels with ethernet cable disconnected? Also try official unpatch software from Technomate.com

zudrick
25-05-12, 10:55
It doesn't matter if the ethernet cable is disconnected or connected still same?

Sicilian
25-05-12, 10:57
On FTA channels?

zudrick
25-05-12, 11:00
It does't freeze while watching FTA channels just the encrypted channels but whats the point of having a sat set which will only work on FTA channels

Sicilian
25-05-12, 11:20
It does't freeze while watching FTA channels just the encrypted channels but whats the point of having a sat set which will only work on FTA channels

Whilst watching an FTA channel try accessing a newtwork service, pretty sure the 6900 has youtube. If youtube works its an issue with what ever you are connecting to and we wont discuss that here ;)

zudrick
25-05-12, 11:36
It has network but how do i access youtube

Sicilian
25-05-12, 11:38
It has network but how do i access youtube

Cant fully remember right now, its in one of the menus.

zudrick
25-05-12, 12:01
Well will have to try it another time gotta get some sleep ( this hot weather is not good for me ) i am nights tonight will look through menus when i can or if someone can shed some light on how to access it on here?

TK4|2|1
25-05-12, 15:51
No YouTube on 6900

kritikos
01-07-12, 15:54
hello there please help as my TM 6902 HD freeze on 0ne channel and stuck i can't reset by switch on /off from back main switch, its completely dead, i can't do anything, can someone help?thank you

zudrick
02-07-12, 01:07
You need to download this file http://www.world-of-satellite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5450&d=1294907480
(http://www.world-of-satellite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5450&d=1294907480)which is a zip file, unzip it to your desktop then run it, you will also need a copy of the firmware for your particular sat box you want to flash and a serial/null modem cable. Easy when you know how.

kritikos
02-07-12, 07:04
Thank You Zudrick.

thijs
07-07-12, 21:56
you don't need to do that at all all you have to do is switch off at the back of reciever and then press menu button and hold at the front of the box and switch back on this will bring you into the tm's loader menu from here you can do a complete factory reset this will clear out your flash completely so if you are using a server make sure you have the details after this you can load a patch again patch 119 is working fine for me
when you patch your tm always make sure you do a factory reset after it and back up your channel list first and after factory reset put back channellist and rescan all sats in use

laupd
02-01-14, 19:53
I know my sat system is old and non Linux and and and, but it owes me nothing and frankly it has been working a treat for the past 8 or so years !

Reason for posting is to let everyone know ifnabfix that may be useful.

I found over Christmas that the USB ports had all stopped working. No other issues, just the USBs.

I was considering a unit swap out, but a bit of searching I found that the power supply capacitors are likely to be the cause of the problem.

£4.50 later and 10 mins of soldering and its back working !

If your USBs stop working, my advice is simple :

1) Remove the cover after making safe
2) Look for capacitors with a bulging top likely to be 2 or 3 toward the fron of the PSU.
3) Order new ones for all affected. Try and get 105 deg if possible.
4) Replace, test and (hopefully!) enjoy as I did.

Hope this helps someone out there.