PDA

View Full Version : took the plung and ordered a ultimo

fruitball
02-05-12, 22:53
Hi all,

Took the plung today and order a vu+ ULTIMO from world of satellite, first and for most must say excellent customer service and helpful staff and a nice price! ;)

Now i am not new to linux receivers but i need to establish 1 or 2 things if anybody would be kind enough to help with.

I want to put an image on the ultimo when i get it but not sure what version of vix to put on, all seem good but could anybody recommend a nice stable on with goodies and the update just to clayify is to put image on usb stick and do update like that. Now is there any file extensions or do i just place the image directly on a formatted usb stick.

Regards

Fruitball

Larry-G
02-05-12, 23:08
First i'd like to say nice choice on the receiver, I have a ultimo my self and it's a fantastic machine.

now to your questions.

The very latest Public ViX image is 2.3-204

as to flashing the receiver

download your chosen image and extract the archive you can use winrar / winzip or 7zip for this.

format a USB stick to FAT32.
copy the folder vuplus to the root of the stick, this folder will have another folder inside called ultimo and inside that the files for the image.
place the stick into any of the USB ports of the receiver and power the receiver on from the rear power switch.

you should see a prompt on the VFD display of the receiver telling you what to do, and when the flash is complete.

fruitball
02-05-12, 23:19
Cheers m8 will load that image on tomorrow when i receive the receiver.

I thought flash was like that but best to be sure and thanks for the info much appricated.

This is another reason why i went for a vu+ machine because the vix team is behind it and many helpful members.

Cheers and beers.

Fruitball

Larry-G
02-05-12, 23:21
well we do try to be helpful wherever and whenever possible.

if you run into any problems post back and we'll see what we can do to help.

fruitball
02-05-12, 23:23
btw m8 do you have the link for the image in the forum.. used seach to avail no results?
Looked through forum catagories and slightly lost?

:p

Larry-G
02-05-12, 23:26
yeah sure.

post Two of this thread.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?14238-Vu-Ultimo-ViX-2-3-%28Linux-3-1-1%29-Image-Release-s

loochy
02-05-12, 23:27
Press the drop down button at top of page that says vix support centre its in that mate.

Larry-G
02-05-12, 23:31
Press the drop down button at top of page that says vix support centre its in that mate.

LMAO you'd have thought a site admin would have thought about that LOL.

oh well.

fruitball
02-05-12, 23:32
Thanks lads much appricated,

Cannot wait to start playing with my new toy and see how it compares to my other e2 boxes!

Will report back tomorrow

Regards

Fruitball

loochy
03-05-12, 00:20
LMAO you'd have thought a site admin would have thought about that LOL.

oh well.

Sometimes you cant see the wood for the trees mate

Stanman
03-05-12, 20:43
You could have asked WOS to flash the image for you:)

fruitball
03-05-12, 21:58
Hi all thanks for previous help, Got image flashed and all is well.

The only thing i am confused about is how to load cccam and also put a motorised channel list on to it.
Normally i press the blue button on my other receivers to get the channel list downloaded and also cccam but i cannot seem how to figure it out??
Any guidance will be appricated

Stanman
03-05-12, 22:01
how to load channel list is in my signature.

For cccam you need to download here, http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?5921-Cams-for-ViX-Team-images

FTP it to the box and put it in TMPfolder and than press blue button>VIX>install local extension

fruitball
03-05-12, 23:12
Hi there.

Thanks for the reply, got cccam sorted but am having difficulty locating a motorised channel pack. I managed to install rats beuteq but obviously only astra 28.2 is on there, I also followed your guide on how to use dme and then do the channel list manually but for some reason it wont load properly.

I tried accessing the web interface like i have with any other receiver i own but when i type the ip address in it comes up with an error saying the server is busy so i cannot understand what is going on

fruitball
03-05-12, 23:36
Silly me... sorted it now..

Set the port correctly this time, channel list on and all working sweet!

Cheers and beers everyone

Larry-G
03-05-12, 23:42
Hi there.

Thanks for the reply, got cccam sorted but am having difficulty locating a motorised channel pack. I managed to install rats beuteq but obviously only astra 28.2 is on there, I also followed your guide on how to use dme and then do the channel list manually but for some reason it wont load properly.

I tried accessing the web interface like i have with any other receiver i own but when i type the ip address in it comes up with an error saying the server is busy so i cannot understand what is going on

menu> plugins> OpenWebif> http port 00080.> green button to save.

now re-load the bouquets with DBE
that should sort both problems.

LOL i see you already sorted it.

fruitball
04-05-12, 01:01
menu> plugins> OpenWebif> http port 00080.> green button to save.

now re-load the bouquets with DBE
that should sort both problems.

LOL i see you already sorted it.

Yes got it sorted but thanks anyway pheonix, Been a while since i have really got down and dirty with a linux box so to speak lol. I used to be a dab hand 5 years ago but life changes meant i could not watch satellite or have time to play with it ect so i am really rusty, but slowly getting in to the swing of things again. Really pleased i bought the ultimo and nice price i got it for to, picture quality excellent and just pleased all round.

Im off to play with blindscan to see what it can pick up if anything atall. It crashed a few times doing blindscan but sorted it by a reset.

Many Thanks

Fruitball

dilly1066
05-05-12, 01:12
hiya, i have also just bought a ultimo after toying with the idea for some time now, was talking to fruitball threw pms on another forum that got me thinking about it again and decided to do it, it arrived today, havemt had as much time as i would of liked to have a play about with it but so far im really impressed, only downfall is the remote, but i had read about people not been over happy with it so wasnt a shock really, main thing with remote is you really have to point it in line with the ultimo or it doesnt pick it up, i have a harmony 700 remote which i prefer anyway and you can point that at the floor and the ultimo will pick it up, brialliant remotes them worth every penny, but apart from the remote im really liking it, im ordering the extra tuner next week for it when ive got some more money which is one of the main reasons for buying the ultimo, got so many auto timers going on im getting a message saying conflicting recordings all the time, a quick question ive been trying to get picons on the display but cant seem to figure it out, i know it will be something really simply that im overlooking as getting tired but would like to get them on before going to bed, ive downloaded sandmans vfd ultimo picons and placed them on my usb pen, left them in the folder it extracted to which was piconlcd , so im wondering if the name is needs changing to something else, anybody any ideas ? thanks

judge
05-05-12, 01:22
I don't have an Ultimo :-(, but I do know different images use different folder names for lcd picons, what Image are you using?
Once we know that, I'm sure someone will jump in with what that folder should be named.

dilly1066
05-05-12, 01:35
I don't have an Ultimo :-(, but I do know different images use different folder names for lcd picons, what Image are you using?
Once we know that, I'm sure someone will jump in with what that folder should be named.

hiya, yes sorry i should of said image i was using, im using vix image 2.3.153, only one ive tried so far as really not had much time to play with it yet, also usiing sandman picons as they seemed to be the latest ones, thanks

Dell_XPS
05-05-12, 07:56
Did you install skin_display_picon.xml in the enigma2 folder m8 ?

dilly1066
05-05-12, 12:28
Hiya, no i dint mate, is that the problem, i did download another set of picons for ultimo display and that had 2 more files with it, one for blackhole users and another for vti users, think they wre the files you just said, but i dint see anything for vix, then i went to bed as was getting late, thanks

Sent from my iPad 4 using Tapatalk HD

Huevos
05-05-12, 13:45
Yes got it
Im off to play with blindscan to see what it can pick up if anything atall. It crashed a few times doing blindscan but sorted it by a reset.

Many Thanks

Fruitballthe. old blind scan is not user friendly. When the new image comes out it is a complete transformation.

I

fruitball
05-05-12, 19:36
the. old blind scan is not user friendly. When the new image comes out it is a complete transformation.

I

Hi there mate, yes i found the blindscan did not pick up anything :mad: but i was sort off expecting that. Are you saying there will be a new image which should sort that for the ultimo?

Larry-G
05-05-12, 19:38
the new soon to be released ViX image has a vastly improved blindscan thanks to the very hard work Huevos has put into it.

fruitball
05-05-12, 23:44
the new soon to be released ViX image has a vastly improved blindscan thanks to the very hard work Huevos has put into it.

sounds good, must forward thanks to huevos!