PDA

View Full Version : Nebie Stabilizers to Truck

bernard0368
26-04-12, 09:48
Hi, I am new to this, lets say I am taking the stabilizers of the bike and have found the keys to the old man’s truck.
Circumstances have forced the end of pay TV. So I have decided to take the plunge and have bought a VU+ Duo.

Here what I know.
I have a dish fixed to Astra 28e, Cable is there, Lnb is there looks like there is one connection.
I have done some research and I have got an usb-formatted fat32. I have downloaded the blackhole image (is this the best or are there others, probably personal opinions rule here). To the usb. I have a copy a dummies guide to installing the image and I see know challenges here.

That is the extent of my knowledge and I need help on the following or to be pointed in the right direction.

What are the following bootloader, cam, plugins, and do I need same
Channel list do I scan or install a channel list?

Yep complete and utter newbie so any help would be great.
Thanks

Maxwell
26-04-12, 09:58
Have a look at this to get you started http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?16973-In-need-of-help-)&p=123734&viewfull=1#post123734
Also lots more tutorials are in the Vix Support section

Sandman
26-04-12, 10:03
Damn...I wrote you a really long reply and closed it by mistake :mad:

Like Maxwell says...have a look at his link, do *a lot* of reading and experimenting...you can't break anything so don't worry!

All the info is here so when you're beat...come back and ask questions! You have to maintain the box so its best you learn as much as possible!

Maxwell
26-04-12, 10:05
Damn...I wrote you a really long reply and closed it by mistake :mad:

:violin::D:D:D

Sandman
26-04-12, 10:10
:violin::D:D:D

:lol3: I know...cry me a river :p

Maxwell
26-04-12, 10:12
:roflmao:sorry mate couldnt resist have done it myself on more than one occasion

bernard0368
26-04-12, 13:55
Thanks Maxwell and sandman

TomD
26-04-12, 14:12
Hi Bernardo and welcome on board.

There will always be a fair bit of :confused: going on with anything new, but the support here is excellent so you will soon be upto speed.
With regard to which image to use I started on Vix but have now moved to Black Hole. The main reason being you can do a full image back up to usb which is very handy to get you out of trouble when you start 'playing' :D

Have fun
Tom

Maxwell
26-04-12, 14:30
TomD - You can do a full image backup with Vix to usb

menu>setup>vix>image manager>menu - to select location

menu>setup>vix>image manager>green button - to do the backup

Larry-G
26-04-12, 14:40
another little known feature of the image manager is the ability to directly download any previous image build directly from the ViX server to your receiver so you can for example download a image in a compressed format and keep it safe for use another day.

blue button> ViX> image manager> yellow( downloads ) select the version you want and press green to download.

bernard0368
26-04-12, 15:09
Thanks Everyone,
Two quick questions is the sky card essential as my original pay Tv was not with Sky.
Also do I need a twin Lnb to watch and record?

Thanks
Bernard

Sandman
26-04-12, 15:11
Thanks Everyone,
Two quick questions is the sky card essential as my original pay Tv was not with Sky.
Also do I need a twin Lnb to watch and record?

Thanks
Bernard

Its 'essential' if you want to watch Sky ;)

What was your 'original pay Tv'?

If you want to record and watch different channels then yes...you'll need a dual LNB unless they're on the same transponder! (which never works out for me...I always need at least a dual LNB!!)

TomD
26-04-12, 15:59
TomD - You can do a full image backup with Vix to usb

menu>setup>vix>image manager>menu - to select location

menu>setup>vix>image manager>green button - to do the backup

Hmmm... Backing up was not a problem - but when VIX crashed and would not load, the usb with the back up would not reinstall - just what happened to me.

bernard0368
26-04-12, 21:56
What was your 'original pay Tv'?)

it was UPC, apartment life in ireland :confused:

bernard0368
01-05-12, 11:35
Box arrived today, now to get it up and running.