PDA

View Full Version : beaware about this strange phone call

rumpole
25-04-12, 14:42
i dont know if one has heard about or have had this call
at about 6.30 pm yesterday i had a call from an Indian sounding person. saying they were Microsoft technicians etc: they even knew my name but names and phone numbers are easy to find,lol
the caller said they were collecting regular reports of major errors on my computer. and that the error files need removing urgently before they crashed my computer but only authorized Microsoft software would remove these error reports etc. then they wanted me to pay by card on line. for them to load software and said it would leave a blue icon on the task bar to click and get connection to Microsoft tech department if i need further help in the next 12 months. i said no chance i will get pc world to take a look at my computer and rang off, as far as i'm aware Microsoft dont ring and this looks like a scam to me, plus this call lasted over a hour and they did'nt want to take no for a answer so i said i will get it check first and they said we will ring you back on Thursday, i bet they dont but if they do i will say no again and i will e-mailed microsoft about the call. just beware if you get this call i posted on another forum iv'e been a member for years and other members have had this call,
i have also found out this scam is posted on Microsoft's website
but like many others i cant remember last time i visited there
some people could think it is Microsoft and fall for this

Sicilian
25-04-12, 14:50
Thank you for reporting here, friend of mine had similar call few weeks back.

Maxwell
25-04-12, 15:04
known scam thats been around a while now but worth bringing up, have had several calls similar, the last one i just laughed at him and hung up, the one before I pretended to go along with for a while before informing him that I only use Ubuntu :D

judge
25-04-12, 16:08
yeah, a scam.
How did you spend an hour on the phone with them???
I've had that call twice in the last few months, just laugh at them & they hang up.

rumpole
25-04-12, 18:25
i was certain from the start it was'nt Microsoft
so i kept winding him up after all he was paying for the
call,lol but he was very plausible and this could realy
make some think it was a genuine call from Microsoft. i just
hope he does call back tomorrow then i will realy blast the
scum bag,

Sandman
25-04-12, 19:39
Could you PM me your details and bank account number so i can send you the monies? :thumbsup:

Bluto141
26-04-12, 00:44
Defo a scam, tradings standards are aware, they say the company is based in Manchester, and give an 0800 number, while "James" (indian guy) was online, i used my mobile, called the number and low and behold it was unknown, so I spent the next 45 inutes winding him up, saying I used Linux so why would Microshaft have/give my details, I got fed up as it was like teasing a puppy, he was off his scripted and totally lost.

rumpole
26-04-12, 14:04
he said he would ring back on thursday
and they did, they are a brass necked lot
but this call only lasted 30 seconds.
i told him i had contacted Microsoft and
two other word from me one is off,lol.
the phone just went dead.

Mr. Mister
26-04-12, 14:12
My sister in law also had this phone call.. She had them on the land line.. and she then called me to ask what these guys were doing..

she spent 15 mins on the phone with them with them telling her to press this button.. then this button.. etc etc..

I told her to hang up right away.. and cancel all here cards.. and change all passwords immediatley..