PDA

View Full Version : Using USB for timeshift

succuba
19-08-10, 17:45
Is it possible to use the USB memory stick for the timeshift function. It seems to work OK with the HDD but I can't seem to find a way to change this to use the USB stick.

I use the Dream Elite Vu+ Duo BH 1.3.3F

Any pointers greatly appreciated :confused:

grtmoby
19-08-10, 18:08
just map timeshift to ur usb drive

http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/showthread.php?1221-Permanent-Timeshift-How-s-it-work

http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/showthread.php?1180-What-else-to-Put-on-a-Mounted-USB

http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/showthread.php?1306-Anyone-had-problems-with-HD-timeshift-on-USB

succuba
19-08-10, 19:01
Thanks for the heads up, I will go through them and report back.. cheers

succuba
19-08-10, 23:13
I'm beat... no matter what I do I cant get the timeshift to save to the USB stick.

USB: Cruzer Blade
Size: 8.000 GB
Mount: /media/usb
Device: /dev/sdb1

It will not let me change the setting in the fourth line from /media/hdd to media/usb :confused:

Sicilian
20-08-10, 06:05
I'm beat... no matter what I do I cant get the timeshift to save to the USB stick.

USB: Cruzer Blade
Size: 8.000 GB
Mount: /media/usb
Device: /dev/sdb1

It will not let me change the setting in the fourth line from /media/hdd to media/usb :confused:

Have you mapped your USB stick? Press blue button > Extra settings > Device manager.

succuba
20-08-10, 12:46
Yep Sic... both hard and USB drives are mapped, I just can't work this one out

Sicilian
20-08-10, 13:15
Can't remember how the field changes, have you tried left & right buttons or clicking ok on the field?

succuba
20-08-10, 14:06
Yep, I have tried every which way... If other people have done this then I am missing something obvious... need to go out now I will try again later. Thanks for your continuing support

pooface
20-08-10, 14:46
If you telnet in to the box, can you definately go to the directory /media/usb, do an "ls" command, and get the contents of the usb stick (i.e. a "lost + found" and other files)?! It could be that your usb stick isn't mounted to /media/usb. When you try to change the timeshift directory, it will only allow you to choose one of the pre-define dirs, and possibly because there isn't one, it won't change... ?!?

DrProzac
20-08-10, 15:50
From what I recall.
This is what I done.

Telnet to the box
Create a dircetory on the USB Drive as Timeshift (just to keep things neat)

The from the Recording Paths
Press OK on the Location.
It will then point you to a list of locations.

Press the channel Up Button to move to the top part of the window.

Then you browse through the list of locations till you find your /media/usb/timeshift
Add this as a bookmark
And then select that as the new recording path.

You can't select this location until you have created a bookmark.
Can't get on the box at the moment to go through the steps but I hope this helps point you in the right direction.

succuba
21-08-10, 11:07
Thanks all for the replies....

I don't use telnet I prefer ftp. Are these both the same or do I really need to use telnet?

I made a directory on the USB drive called movies as you can see on the first jpg, the second shows the mapped drives and the third is the menu that I cannot seem to get to work, I just can't change anything here at all, the cursor will not move with any button on the handset.

If others can get this to work then I will keep trying :confused:

succuba
21-08-10, 11:16
From what I recall.
This is what I done.

Telnet to the box
Create a dircetory on the USB Drive as Timeshift (just to keep things neat)

The from the Recording Paths
Press OK on the Location.
It will then point you to a list of locations.

Press the channel Up Button to move to the top part of the window.

Then you browse through the list of locations till you find your /media/usb/timeshift
Add this as a bookmark
And then select that as the new recording path.

You can't select this location until you have created a bookmark.
Can't get on the box at the moment to go through the steps but I hope this helps point you in the right direction.

Thanks Doc... this is where I was going wrong, I was pressing the arrow keys not the channel up.

This is sorted now thanks to everyone for their valued input :smiley_yup: