PDA

View Full Version : Sky sports 1 HD SNR Today massive drop ?

BRAVEHEART
24-04-12, 15:51
This is not just been confirmed with me today for a change, lol, but at least a couple of other people too.

Noticed Sky sports 1 HD SNR has dropped by about 25% from approx 85% to 60% , has anyone noticed this ?

I can also see that some other sky channels the SNR has dropped a little bit too, not as much as sky sports 1 hd but still like maybe 5 - 8% than what they usually are.

Has anyone noticed this just now and have any ideas what is going on ?

the other people i have had notice this are in different parts of the uk, so not just in the area where i live (central scotland).

wazza_2
24-04-12, 17:06
I have had the same issue in manchester, theys another transponder that puts the signal up but only upto about 73% ,
28.2°E Astra 2A 11740.00 V 2 Astra 2A South DVB-S2 QPSK 29500 3/4 43.9 Mbps* NID:2 TID:2002

BRAVEHEART
24-04-12, 17:08
I have had the same issue in manchester, theys another transponder that puts the signal up but only upto about 73% ,
28.2°E Astra 2A 11740.00 V 2 Astra 2A South DVB-S2 QPSK 29500 3/4 43.9 Mbps* NID:2 TID:2002

yea mate, i noticed on a few channels its happend, but especially that sky sports hd 1, 25% drop in SNR for me, signal strength is perfect though.

sky must be doing summit, ya think ?

BRAVEHEART
24-04-12, 17:10
what about sky living hd, have a look at the snr on that one too please mate ?

wazza_2
24-04-12, 17:15
12285 27500 vertical 2/3 dvb-s puts it up to 84% mate, mine was at 58%

Larry-G
24-04-12, 17:19
yup same here for me in the north east. over my 3 dishes on all of my receivers the SNR has dropped on average 10 to 20 percent on a good few channels.

BRAVEHEART
24-04-12, 17:23
Ive been told by someone just to leave it and sky should sort it, is that right enough then ?

Larry-G
24-04-12, 17:25
Ive been told by someone just to leave it and sky should sort it, is that right enough then ?

yes its not a fault with your equipment but something on sky's end and as such there is nothing you can really do about it. it could be any number of reasons possibly due to them testing something on their fleet for future upgrades ? unless sky make a press release we wont know either way.

BRAVEHEART
24-04-12, 17:31

i tried another scan mate and yes your right it found sky sports 1 HD with a bit stronger SNR, but still much weaker than it was before, even the new one is only about 70% for me yet it was summit like high 80's before.

Foxylady
24-04-12, 18:14
Approx 20% on mine north west, but no loss of signal, glitching, spot on.
Maybe updating/grading the satellites ?

wazza_2
24-04-12, 18:31
I have a dvb viewer upstairs and sky sports on that is 95% and on my friends spiderbox it's 86% so maybe it's something that's changed on the transponder kit on Linux boxes

BRAVEHEART
24-04-12, 18:46
Approx 20% on mine north west, but no loss of signal, glitching, spot on.
Maybe updating/grading the satellites ?

yea same here mate, well for now anyway, fingers crossed it dont get any worse, lol

BRAVEHEART
24-04-12, 18:47
I have a dvb viewer upstairs and sky sports on that is 95% and on my friends spiderbox it's 86% so maybe it's something that's changed on the transponder kit on Linux boxes

hmmm, maybe, interesting, I dont have a clue about that though, maybe someone that does would care to post up please ? thanks.

Spinifex
24-04-12, 19:09
I'd just like to add my 36 pence worth that im having same problems with transponder 11797 Horizontal im getting 58-70% on it.
living hd and ssp1 HD

Stanman
24-04-12, 19:11
Guys whats with the fixation with SNR, if its showing without breaking up nothing to worry about.

This SNR will have dropped across all boxex including sly ones and no doubt if piccy breaks ruppy will go up to sort the sat out

BRAVEHEART
24-04-12, 19:17
Guys whats with the fixation with SNR, if its showing without breaking up nothing to worry about.

This SNR will have dropped across all boxex including sly ones and no doubt if piccy breaks ruppy will go up to sort the sat out

my fixation is because I have had 3 LNB's fitted in less than 6 months, thats why, LOL, so thats why I watch it like a hawk and when I see it drop 25% suddenly then I know that there is either yet another prob with my LNB or it seems this time its actually sky thank goodness, lol :)

p.s
whos ruppy, lol ?

Spinifex
24-04-12, 19:19
fixation lol...

i cant view mine as im not using my line at mo my dad is so i couldnt tell you if its breaking up or not ;)

Larry-G
24-04-12, 19:22
my fixation is because I have had 3 LNB's fitted in less than 6 months, thats why, LOL, so thats why I watch it like a hawk and when I see it drop 25% suddenly then I know that there is either yet another prob with my LNB or it seems this time its actually sky thank goodness, lol :)

p.s
whos ruppy, lol ?

uncle ruppy aka rupert murdock.

as for your SNR as i said i have 3 separate dishes with different LNB setups and all of my boxes have seen a marked decrease in SNR but not in actual picture quality so dont worry about it. it's likely sky testing something on their end. after all they have to find space for another 20 odd channels for the Olympics soon.

Huevos
24-04-12, 21:11
99% here. :)

BRAVEHEART
25-04-12, 00:45
well I have just checked again before I goto bed and sky sports 1 HD is still the worst out them all I can find out of the normal channels I watch, it is still about 20-25% SNR drop from what it should unless I use the newly scanned version of the channel which only even brings it up to about 70% which is still very low compared to what it was before and the other random channels I was speaking about too are just the same, they are down by about 5 to 10% SNR, theres defo something going on and as I said earlier, this aint just me, this is also happening with the guys that have posted up and also guys I have spoke to offline too, sky are doing something, just what I dont know, hopefully it gets sorted soon as some of my levels on some channels are away down at approx 55% level and that means picture freezing, again, just the same as other people have mentioned, so not just me :(

Larry-G
25-04-12, 00:56
you'r putting way too much stock in these values. as i have said this is down to sky them selves there is absolutely no point what so ever you getting your self wound up about it as there is bugger all you can do about it. even with the SNR drop on my boxes not a single channel is glitching at all.

judge
25-04-12, 01:00
dropped here in southern Ireland today too, I wouldn't worry about it in the slightest.

digi247
25-04-12, 01:17
ruppy wont be able to do diddly jack squat about it as its SES who own the satellites, probably due to testing or even a slight adjustment by the sat itself to correct orbital position.

xarqi
25-04-12, 07:03
"Earth is passing through the wake of a CME, and this is causing geomagnetic storms at high latitudes."

http://www.spaceweather.com/
Maybe.

Larry-G
25-04-12, 07:37
"Earth is passing through the wake of a CME, and this is causing geomagnetic storms at high latitudes."
http://www.spaceweather.com/
Maybe.

very good point i actually forgot about that. yes that certainly could account for what were seeing.

BRAVEHEART
25-04-12, 18:28
you'r putting way too much stock in these values. as i have said this is down to sky them selves there is absolutely no point what so ever you getting your self wound up about it as there is bugger all you can do about it. even with the SNR drop on my boxes not a single channel is glitching at all.

yea true mate, as long as it doesnt freeze up then its fine I guess.

In the end I ended up doing what wazza_2 mentioned earlier and that was to rescan and it found another sky sports 1 HD channel which puts the SNR up by about 10%, so I am just using that one, however its still way way lower than what it should be, but as you say, its got to be something sky is doing or the space weather or something, hmmm, wonder what though, lol, interesting :confused:

BRAVEHEART
27-04-12, 20:57
Looks like the snr's are slowly going back up, hmmm, wonder what the heck that was they were doing or if it was that space weather, guess we will maybe never know unless someone from an official source said something :confused:

jcm193
27-04-12, 21:31
I noticed this on History Hd last night it went down from 84% to 34% and it was unwatchable but within 20 mins is back again to 84%

satmanbasil
27-04-12, 22:07
Hi

Due to solar storms they could be reducing power so not to knock the satellite out

regards