PDA

View Full Version : London Marathon: Donations rise after Claire Squires death

Stanman
23-04-12, 22:10

Donations to a fund-raising page set up by a 30-year-old woman who collapsed close to the London Marathon finish line have surged since her death.

Claire Squires, a hairdresser from North Kilworth, Leicestershire, collapsed near Birdcage Walk on the final stretch of the 26.2 mile course.

Thousands of people made donations on Monday, raising more than £150,000 for the Samaritans charity by 21:15 BST.

Ms Squires was the 11th participant to die since the event began in 1981.

On her JustGiving fund-raising page she had said: "I'm running the London Marathon for Samaritans because they continuously support others."

Paramedics attended to her but she died at the scene, marathon organisers said.

'Devastated'
Formal identification of Ms Squires has not yet taken place and post-mortem tests will take place in the coming days to establish the cause of her death.

Many people have left tributes for Ms Squires on the JustGiving page and donations have also come in from fellow marathon runners.

Until Sunday, the day of the race, the page showed £400 had been raised for the charity.
Catherine Johnstone, chief executive of Samaritans, said: "We appreciate all that our marathon runners do; it is with their support, commitment and fundraising efforts that we are able to offer our vital service for people with nowhere else to turn."
Ms Squires, who worked at Moko hair salon in Church Street in Market Harborough, climbed Mount Kilimanjaro in 2010 to raise funds for the RAF Association.
In a message on the charity's website her friend Nicola Short, who climbed the mountain with Ms Squires, said: "Claire is an inspiration to us all. She brought laughter and love to everyone's life. She will be sorely missed by all."
In a statement the RAF Association said: "Claire was a wonderfully vibrant and energetic person, who was a keen charity supporter and loved by all who knew her.
"In 2010 she climbed Mount Kilimanjaro and also took part in other fundraising events in support of the RAF Family in recent years."
'Awful for family'Andrew Robathan, Conservative MP for South Leicestershire, paid tribute to Ms Squires, saying: "I live very close to North Kilworth, and I know a lot of people there and think I may have met her once.
"It is a tragedy, awful for the family, and a tragedy for her and all her friends."

"But at the same time she was doing something she obviously loved doing," he added.

A 22-year-old fitness instructor was the last competitor to die during the marathon in 2007.

Prof Sanjay Sharma, medical director for The Virgin London Marathon, said Ms Squires was the only woman to have died during the marathon.

Seven of the 11 fatalities during the annual race were related to heart diseases, two suffered brain haemorrhage and one died due to drinking too much water.

A statement on the London Marathon website said: "We would like to emphasise that our immediate concern is for the family of the deceased.

"Our thoughts and deepest sympathies are with them at this difficult time."

Competitors reach Birdcage Walk, bordering St James's Park, after completing 25 miles of the course, after which they pass Buckingham Palace before crossing the finish line on the Mall.

Up to 37,500 people took part in the 32nd London Marathon on Sunday.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

It was at £158,000 at 8:30 and now up to 175K, really makes you proud to be british
A fitting tribute to someone who put herself out for others:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sicilian
24-04-12, 12:14
I'll be making a donation in memory of this brave young lady. I've run the London Marathon twice myself and can fully appreciate how much it takes out of on the day and all the training leading up to it. My condolences go out to her family, may she rest in peace.

Guys, dig into your pockets and make a donation. The justgiving site is very slow due to the amount of donations, but please keep trying.