PDA

View Full Version : Signal Strength

gardener
23-04-12, 16:04
Can someone give me some comparisions what sought of signal strength I should be getting for astra 28.2 E. I've had a play around with my dish today (mini dish with quad lnb) and can't seem to improve my strength.

gold 70%
bbc 1 90%
watch hd 58%

are they normal, do you think I would get better results with a bigger dish?

Rob van der Does
23-04-12, 16:08
Signal strength has no relevance at all: a high number can be caused by the neighbours microwave......
The SNR is the only thing that counts, and the read-out is not calibrated. So comparing, even with the same type of receiver, is not very useful.

gardener
23-04-12, 16:17
Sorry I meant SNR not signal strength. So how is the best way to know I have a good signal?

TK4|2|1
23-04-12, 16:20
Sorry I meant SNR not signal strength. So how is the best way to know I have a good signal?

When the picture doesn't break up is usually a good sign.

Sent from my iThing, using sorcery and the magic interweb.

Rob van der Does
23-04-12, 16:49
Don't worry to soon! Use the SNR to align your dish/LNB's for all satellites as good as possible. The read-out is not calibrated, but for relative measurements it's perfick!

gardener
23-04-12, 17:56
would it be worth me getting a bigger dish as I do get some breaking up on channels like gold.

Rob van der Does
23-04-12, 18:15
would it be worth me getting a bigger dish as I do get some breaking up on channels like gold......or better aligned (also skew?)?

gardener
23-04-12, 18:33
.....or better aligned (also skew?)?
How do I better align it?