PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a VU+ Ultimo

thecaretaker
22-04-12, 02:53
I've been thinking about buying the VU+ Ultimo. I currently have a Cuberevo (which I have become totally familiar e.g trying different images, using ccam, installing plugins etc) and although it is a Linux based, I'd like to know how much of a learning curve will I need to move to a VU+ Ultimo?

As you may (or may not) know, Cuberevo stopped trading in January of this year, so no more new images for it. Would the VU+ Ultimo be a logical upgrade for me?

I don't want to buy something that is beyond my understanding. Any advice will be most appreciated.

Sicilian
22-04-12, 04:48
I believe the Cuberevo used Enigma2 images, so I should imagine you'll be fine with the Ultimo.

thecaretaker
22-04-12, 09:44
The Cuberevo could use Enigma 2 but I never tried it. I alway stuck to firmware based on the official (PGI, Sifteam, BMT etc). Mainly as people commented on the drop in picture quality with Enigma on the Cuberevo, it was a tweaked version of Enigma 2 to work with the Cubrevo/IPBox9000HD.

I'm sure I can get my head round it (with time)..... It can't be that different.

catseye
22-04-12, 11:06
The Cuberevo could use Enigma 2 but I never tried it. I alway stuck to firmware based on the official (PGI, Sifteam, BMT etc). Mainly as people commented on the drop in picture quality with Enigma on the Cuberevo, it was a tweaked version of Enigma 2 to work with the Cubrevo/IPBox9000HD.

I'm sure I can get my head round it (with time)..... It can't be that different.

PGI are still releasing DGS based images for cuberevo/ip boxes 900/910/9000's which from what ive been told they are very good

There are some teams still creating E2 images too including PKT so although DGS no longer trading the boxes are still getting some support

I used to own one of these boxes & tbh the picture quality even in SD was the best ive ever seen

But at the time the lack of support from manufacturer let it down

Ive had no regrets about buying the vu (duo) as it one of the best supported boxes around

Plus the teams have managed to fix the bugs quickly

So if you do purchase a vu -you should be up & running in no time

plus there is plenty of help out there if you get stuck

Stanman
22-04-12, 19:39
If you are confident around a PC, than imho you should have no problems in using the Ultimo. Its a steep learning curve but easily doable and quality info available her on the forum and from some very knowledgeable members.

if you do decide to go down th Ultimo route, don't forget the forum sponsor is offering a discount for forum members and as for quality of service - don't take my word for it read the feedback on the site and Ebay.

Vitrix
23-04-12, 03:31
The xtrend ET9200 is also a very good box for the money as well, and the vix image is outstanding, granted there is less flash memory and half the ram of the ultimo, but still manages to hold its own and is slightly cheaper, for general use you wont really notice any difference between the two boxes, unless you want to install lots of plugins and have them running all the time, might be worth taking a look. I believe they both use the same processor as well.

In terms of interface and ease of use of the enigma2 platform, until last week I had no experience with it at all, I plugged in the box, followed the prompts for setup, did a scan and I was up and running, Installing of plugins is very easy as well, you can upload them from your pc to the box directly, then install them from the menu, very much a point a click interface too, everything is where you would expect it to be, nothing is too far hidden in the menu's

Hope this helps

thecaretaker
08-05-12, 23:23
Thank you for all your comments. I've been having a look round the forum and decided to take the plunge.

I've order from WOS a 2 x S2 and 1 x C/T VU+ Ultimo with 500g HDD and VIX pre-installed.

I use USALS and can get all available sats from 45E to 45W but 28.2 (Sky/Freesat) is my main sat. Maybe somebody can recommend a channel list (bouquet - gotta get used to these terms) for it?

Mr. Mister
09-05-12, 00:12
If you want a multisat bouquet.. then catseye are prolly the best.. Those are the ones i use since i stopped making my own multisat bouquets..

If you just looking for 28.2 East.. The have a go at Silverfox / Vix

Silverfox / Vix can be found in my sig..

Sicilian
09-05-12, 11:54
I use USALS and can get all available sats from 45E to 45W but 28.2 (Sky/Freesat) is my main sat. Maybe somebody can recommend a channel list (bouquet - gotta get used to these terms) for it?

I second Catseyes settings ;)

Stanman
09-05-12, 21:51
Just to be contrary, I use the Vhanniable ones:)

Larry-G
09-05-12, 22:40
Just to be contrary, I use the Vhanniable ones:)

yup i'm with you on that one stan. while the Vhannibal packs may not be as organized as catseyes they are for me updated far more regularly and my first choice when considering a multisat bouquet.

thecaretaker
11-05-12, 18:31
Well, I got my VU+ Ultimo yesterday (talk about fast). I'm made up with it. I've got everything working without any problems, (picons, crossepg etc). I've even put my own channel list together with dreamboxedit (well, using Catseyes as a base). Thank you WOS :cool:

fruitball
14-05-12, 21:47
Well, I got my VU+ Ultimo yesterday (talk about fast). I'm made up with it. I've got everything working without any problems, (picons, crossepg etc). I've even put my own channel list together with dreamboxedit (well, using Catseyes as a base). Thank you WOS :cool:

Glad to here you are happy with it mate, i also bought a ultimo from the boys at wos and its the best receiver i have had to date. I find it is much nicer then my dreambox and its cheap considering other receivers on the market eg dm800se, dm8000 ect, Also great support from wos and great support on the forums.. So anyone toying with the idea of buying one then do it as you will NOT be disapointed.

Enjoy your new box.