PDA

View Full Version : Anybody tried to scan 28.2 E manually? A horror story

parkher
19-08-10, 04:46
I did the following: created a dummy satellite 28.3, because it is not allowed to have two 28.2 in Duo.
I also entered that satellite into satellites.xml.
But without any transponders entered in advance.
(I want both tuners to have separate 28.2 satellites)

Then I scanned all the transponders manually one-by-one.

Vu+ Duo with PLi makes a mess. Some channels are recognized as data streams,
and not only they are not allowed to be selected to watch, but also somehow moved to wrong transponders, some transponders deleted, etc.

For example: scanning 11604V gives 7 data streams, I suspect, because this transponder actually has one data stream together with regular channels.

Also the BBCi streams on 12441V are recognized as data streams.

But what is interesting: both 11604V and 12441V do not remain together, the last manually entered and scanned remains, the other transponder disappears.

Even if I convert BBCi channels to TV with DreamSet, when afterwards I scan 11604V, BBCi channels are moved into 11604V and the 12441V transponder is deleted. Which is crazy.
Perhaps an additional problem is that those streams are named the same, I will try renaming them differently.
There are more channels wrongly identified as data, and more transponders deleted,
I am missing 9 or 10 transponders of 60 that are reaching my location.
I scanned successfully 60, now I have 50 or so, about 10 were deleted by Duo (probably when scanning some other transponders) without informing me about it.

So, it seems that it is better not to scan with Vu+ because the results are unpredictable.
Better to find good ready-made settings or try making them with an editor.

mmcmedia
19-08-10, 08:25
I do a manual scan all the time and to be perfectly honest have no problems so id suggest that you may have a setting wrong somewhere

grtmoby
19-08-10, 10:10
same here never had a problem with manual scan....

why do u scan one transponder after the other. you can just do a network scan and let the box do its job and see the outcome then

Sicilian
19-08-10, 11:00
You souldn't need to change the satellites.xml to scan Astra2. Most have been set to scan 28.2 + 28.5. So this covers all sly & freesat channels.

Some TV channels are actually recognised as DATA.

guff daddy
19-08-10, 11:19
You souldn't need to change the satellites.xml to scan Astra2. Most have been set to scan 28.2 + 28.5. So this covers all sly & freesat channels.

Some TV channels are actually recognised as DATA.

I think all HD channels are listed as DATA in DreamboxEdit

Sicilian
19-08-10, 13:15
I think all HD channels are listed as DATA in DreamboxEdit

Yes thats correct, I think the odd one or two are listed as TV.

parkher
19-08-10, 15:31
The problem is not that some channels are listed as data, I can change the type of service to 1 in the editor.
The main problem is that for some weird reason some channels are moved to different transponders and other transponders are deleted, they are no longer existing is DreamSet.
I will try to add all the transponders to satellites.xml - perhaps that will help.
Normally, it is not needed when scanned one-by-one manually.

As to HD channels, most of them have type = 25, which is still indicated as tv and they are available in Duo.
However, for example, Anytime channels have type = 4 and are indicated as data and are not available in Duo.
Half of Sky Sports Active channels have type 130, but half are tv with type = 1 - it is ok, because otherwise they are duplicated anyway.
BBCi all are data with type 130, those need to be manually fixed, otherwise not visible in Duo (unless there is a plugin to launch data channels?)

My main problem is that some transponders disappear and channels are moved during scan to different transponders.
Again, I will try hardcoding those transponders inside satellites.xml, perhaps it will help?
I think they are needed there for automatic scan, though.
When I enter the frequency manually it should not be a problem, and usually is not.

catseye
19-08-10, 17:28
TBH it shouldnt be a horror story when scanning Astra 28.2 & Eurobird 28.5 East
It does take approx 5-10 mins to scan a satellite

Why dont you download one of the e2 settings file from here
http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?21-Enigma-2-Settings
& using Dreamset program edit out what you dont want or need

Also if your transponder list isnt up to date then when your box scans it will miss out certain channels

Using Dreamset program SD TV channels are classed as 1, Radio are 2 & HD TV channels as 25

Check out the King of Sat website to find out most recent changes to broadcasting over Europe

Guys such as myself spend hours updating channels, pids, etc for all channels receivable across Europe so its easier for folk to receive & watch TV:cool:

grtmoby
19-08-10, 18:04
and your efforts are highly appreciated catseye

parkher
19-08-10, 21:49
Previously I was scanning manually - manually entering frequencies and all the parameters.
Now I tried the original satellites.xml (as found in the PLi image of vuplus-support.co.uk)
and satellites xml file generated by fastsatfinders.com on 2010-08-14

Results:

original: 773/733 (first/second scan) - HD channels not found, those transponders are emty and not in DreamSet
fastsat: 710/683 (first/second scan) - HD channels are also not included, some 5/6 channels were scanned as 7/8, wrong FEC

for some reason, when scanning the 2nd time, the number of found services is lower, even though I chose to clear before scanning.

Anyway I will try to import ready made settings, but I now will go through the transponders in satellites.xml and update them in that file, and try scanning again.
I see that pilot and rolloff columns are not in satellites.xml, could I perhaps add them? I guess, pilot is working well with "automatic", so absent - means automatic? And absent rolloff means 0.35 or what?
However, because HD channels not found, perhaps nothing is working, and those things should be added to satellites.xml

As to the wrong FEC values in fastsatfinders satellites.xml, they are 5 for 4/5, the original file uses 4.

Actually: for dvb-s2 the numbers in Duo are as follows:

1/2
2/3
3/4
3/5
4/5
5/6
7/8
8/9
9/10

and for DBV-S:

1/2
2/3
3/4
5/6
7/8
NONE
Auto

So clearly, 4 is the correct number for DBV-S (as in the original)
but for DBV-S2 different numbers should be entered, because there are more options, or what?
The same 5/6 for dbv-s2 would be 6, not 4 nor 5.

I am assuming, if system=1, then different numbering for FEC sholud be used in satellites.xml ?

parkher
19-08-10, 22:19
catseye,
I looked at your 75E - 58W, not for 28E, but just to see what is in it, and it is badly missing the most important channels, just as KOS does - this site does not include anything I need from 36E, for example.
This is an excellent satellite for tennis - russians have their own tennis channel there, and also show grand slams on 2-3 channels simultaneously. Some good HD sports channels, russian and ukrainian.
Unfortunately, all the transponders with circular polarization are missing in your settings (as missing on KOS website), only V/H are included and they are perhaps for Africa, signal = 0 in not-so-northern part of Europe (55 degrees N)
Actually, I can receive all the way to 90E, but not sure how far west my dish can go. I got ok signal from 34W, but further west I cannot find something (not feeds) to lock onto.
I think that my H-H motor gives 150 degrees and therefore should go approximately from 90E to 60 W, and in the case that it goes further east than 90 (also nothing to test with?) then correspondingly less west.
Anyway, 90E - 34W confirmed

Sicilian
19-08-10, 22:22
Personally I think you over complicating a simple scan.

I would send some Engima2 settings/bouquets to your Duo using dreamboxedit.

Settings here: -

http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?21-Enigma-2-Settings Try either the Catseyes or VU+ Support settings. Guide here http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/showthread.php?623-How-to-send-save-Enigma-Settings-to-the-VUDuo-using-DBEdit

Now once you've got a fresh satellite.xml just scan if you really want to using these settings: -

http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=333

parkher
20-08-10, 00:25
I now made my own satellite.xml for 28.2 E - I made it by looking at lyngsat data. Scanning found all HD channels (for the 1st time found any!) , but still, on many transponders found nothing while manually when scanning just that one transponder, services are found:
Missing transponders - number of services should have been found:

11307H - 15
11389H - 18
11469H - 16
11565V - 9
11585H - 8
11604V - 7
11642V - 10
11662H - 15
11681V - 31
12110H - 15
12188H - 14
12285V - 18

Other than that, everything is ok, only have to change some channels from data to tv.

I see that catseye have many transponders duplicated, some of them are entered in satellites.xml 4 times with all values exactly the same.
And dispersed through the file, not together.
Perhaps it is done on purpose.
Next I will try his file, but I need to update it, 3 or more transponders are now dvb-s2, compared to his latest file with dvb-s, etc.

parkher
20-08-10, 01:59
Ok, so I duplicated those missing transponders inside satellites.xml added them at the end and even at the beginning - and they were scanned - as the scan progressed, I saw that those channels (at least some of them) were found.
But at the end of the scan - nothing - again they were deleted.
I also tried moving HD in front, it seemed to me that afterwards everything was ok, but no - again at the end those transponders gone.
I cannot suspect that there is some garbage in those transponder lines, because they are actually scanned successfully, only later deleted.
And the number of found services is always the same - 546.

I don't know if it can be explained by some invisible garbage in the satellites.xml file, but it is getting interesting.
Perhaps I can scan this file, and afterwards scan those missing transponders one-by-one manually and this way get good settings.
Worth trying, because there are only 12 of them - interesting if after scanning them they will also disappear, or some others will disappear or what.

parkher
20-08-10, 03:27
OK, so I scanned the missing ones manually one-by-one, and some other transponders were deleted instead. The number of transponders with services present remained constant.
So then I merged both sets together and finally have all of them - all the transponders and all the services together in a single set.

Still, there has to be a bug in Enigma2?

Not yet tested if the whole set will be accepted in Duo, first have to change types to tv and rename where needed. Many data streams and numbers instead of channel names.

parkher
20-08-10, 04:12
Unfortunately, even though now all the transponders have right number of services, some services are just duplicated on wrong transponders.....
Complete mess....

Now I need to change SIDs for many channels and their names, etc.
I might just give up and try some ready made settings, perhaps less work to update them.

Sicilian
20-08-10, 05:54
Parker, you can't change TV channels that are recognised as DATA because that is how they're meant to be. Do as I've stated in post 12, then try a full scan on Astra 28.2 :trustme:

parkher
20-08-10, 06:38
Of course I can - all BBCi streams are identified as data (130) and do not show up, when I change them to 1, then I can watch them.

Anyway, I gave up, I took VU+Support.co.uk Enigma2 Settings HD 3D 68.5E To 30W 18-08-10.rar and will go from there.
Need to add more stuff to the east, etc, and perhaps to double-check if everything is included and up to date.
BTW, I was not able to upload it to Duo with DreamSet 2.30 - each time fail to write on some of user bouquet files, at least 5-6, sometimes much more.
Finally I gave up again and used ftp .....

BTW again, I see with DreamSet that 36E does not include transponders with circular polarization with all the ntv+ stuff, tricolor stuff, poverchnost stuff, but I still have them somehow in Duo,available and working, so writing of the settings somehow is non-destructive, does not remove everything first?
In this case it is good, but it also may be bad - no way to delete channels if needed.

catseye
20-08-10, 17:48
You will find that channels which broadcast using a circular polarity nowadays are fairly rare

Most broadcasters/operators use the ku band v/h polarity & a few broadcast to countries such as India etc still use c band

If its russian programmes/ channels check out this page on the King of Sat website http://en.kingofsat.net/pos-49E.php

Its has some Russian channels on circular polarity

Or if you view http://en.kingofsat.net/satellites.php it has a table of all satellites & shows which ones have Ku band & C band

If,for example you download & install my e2 settings & select blue button on remote -you will access the 'favourites' which start with the 28.2 satellite
Its much easier to find what you are looking for -For example the BBC/Sky Interactive channels are bundled together & they work fine

If using Dreamset program click on 'new' then select internet settings
You should see 'Settings Internet Update'
On settings internet update -select the King Of Sat
Select the satellite or satellites you want included in your download
Untick the option in bottom left hand corner -'skip c band'
Click on download & wait for list to download from website
Edit & create your own packages to suit
Then send settings to your box -you may wish to save them too

Youll find information although not 100% actuarate on KOS site its better than most

Hope this helps -Just take some time to read & learn

parkher
21-08-10, 20:55
Yes, KingOfSat internet settings may be a good starting point. At a glance they look pretty good, at least 28E.
As for 36E KoS is useless, there is nothing there, not a single circular channel.
At my location, I do not get any H/V channels on 36E, no signal, but circulars are strong.
Besides, there is tennis channel and other sports channels on 36E circular.
So I do have circular lnbs on both of my dishes, just for 36E. Well worth it.

But lyngsat has all of them, so no problem.

I started this thread for a different reason: strange things occurring when trying to scan the whole satellite at once, or even transponders one-by-one.
Some channels disappear altogether, others are moved to wrong transponders, also many wrongly marked as data. etc.

However, perhaps I should have tested with the newest PLi image, before posting here,
it is quite possible, that it is behaving differently than the one I am currently using: 2010-05-21 custom PLi from this forum.
Or with various other images.

In addition to that, I now have another issue: failures when trying to write settings with DreamSet, when settings have > 240 user bouquet files, at least 5-6 fail to write to Duo.
Anybody noticed that?
No problems when uploading with ftp directly (I use Far), though. I think there is no difference how to upload those files, as long as you upload them to the right places.
But I assume that DreamSet is also using ftp, so why it encounters problems (still writes most of the files successfully), and Far ftp plugin - never any problems.
BTW, I am using DreamSet 2.30, not 2.29 which is available here, perhaps better to switch to 2.29 ?