PDA

View Full Version : VU+ Uno Loopthrough to redundant Sky+ box

mtomo1985
17-04-12, 14:20
I have a redundant Sky+ Box and i was wondering whether it could be connected via the loopthrough connector on the vu+ uno so that i could view tv from my vu+ on my bedroom tv??

Any information on the VU+ Uno Loopthrough functionality would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Mtomo1985

Rob van der Does
17-04-12, 17:31
Yes you can.
Of course the liberty of watching TV on the Sky-box is dependant on what the UNO is doing at that moment: during recording/watching TV on the UNO the Sky-box will be limited to channels on transponders on the same 'quadrant' (Vert/Hori/Hi/Lo).

mtomo1985
17-04-12, 18:29
Yes you can.
Of course the liberty of watching TV on the Sky-box is dependant on what the UNO is doing at that moment: during recording/watching TV on the UNO the Sky-box will be limited to channels on transponders on the same 'quadrant' (Vert/Hori/Lo

Thanks for the reply

I'm only running the vu+ uno from a fixed sky dish at the moment so I expect that the majority of the channels will be available on that transponder.
Just purchased a 5m coax cable, I think ill give it a go.
Cheers
Mtomo1985

Larry-G
17-04-12, 18:45
[QUOTE=Rob van der Does;128357]Yes you can.
Of course the liberty of watching TV on the Sky-box is dependant on what the UNO is doing at that moment: during recording/watching TV on the UNO the Sky-box will be limited to channels on transponders on the same 'quadrant' (Vert/Hori/LoQUOTE

Thanks for the reply

I'm only running the vu+ uno from a fixed sky dish at the moment so I expect that the majority of the channels will be available on that transponder.
Just purchased a 5m coax cable, I think ill give it a go.
Cheers
Mtomo1985

sky uk consists of around 90 transponders you can see whats what here.

http://en.kingofsat.net/pos-28.2E.php

mtomo1985
26-04-12, 14:25
My coax cable has arrived and i connected one end to the loop out connection on my VU+ Uno and the end to my Sky + Plus box. Only to come across a problem.

The Sky+ Plus box doesn't have a HDMI input, so i'd have to use a scart (what's that grandad). Unfortunately, as the VU+ Uno is only a single tuner i think i am only be able to configure it to use either HDMI or Scart. Not both.

Does anybody know if its possible to configure a single tuner to use HDMI and the loop out to use scart?

Personally, i don't think its possible, but who knows!

I think i'll better get on the hunt for a cheap satellite box with HDMI.

Larry-G
26-04-12, 14:34
all video output feeds are active at the save time on the Vu receivers.

remember though that to use the sky receiver via loopthrough properly the uno must be in standby. and why are you trying to connect the uno to the sky box via scart ?

mtomo1985
26-04-12, 14:53
Just to clarify, the only connnection between the Vu+ Uno & the Sky box is with a 5m coax cable.
The Vu+ Uno is connected to my TV downstairs using a HDMI cable.
The Sky box is currently connected with a scart cable to by bedroom TV.

I have tried putting the VU+ box into Standby and then turned on the sky box. All i get is the Sky software on the screen.

Will i have to remove the Sky box HDD so the software doesn't load? Not sure?

Rob van der Does
26-04-12, 14:57
Is the tunerconfig of the skybox configured the same as the UNO? As long as the UNO is in standby, the signal the SkyBox gets is the same as if it were connected to the dish directly.

mtomo1985
26-04-12, 16:29
Is the tunerconfig of the skybox configured the same as the UNO? As long as the UNO is in standby, the signal the SkyBox gets is the same as if it were connected to the dish directly.

I'm not too sure how to configure the Sky tuner, i've never really looked to be honest. I'll have a check this evening.

All i know is that this sky box was orginally connected to the same dish/lnb as the vu+ Uno box.

This may be a stupid question but, Will i have to scan for channels on the sky box via the loop out?

Rob van der Does
26-04-12, 16:31
I've no idea how a Skybox works, but as long as the looping-through UNO is in standby (not in deep sleep!) the SkyBox will work as if it's connected to the dish directly.

mtomo1985
26-04-12, 18:49
I've just tried the loop out with the vu+ uno in standby. The sky box now receives a satellite channel but doesn't loop through the channel from the vu+ uno.
Basically the connection between the boxes seems to be giving the sky box the ability to view basic t
v (freeview, BBC,
ITV etc) but no sky or satellite channels.
Any ideas?

Rob van der Does
26-04-12, 18:54
.....but doesn't loop through the channel from the vu+ uno.....
Sorry: I have no idea what you mean by that.

digi247
26-04-12, 18:57
I've just tried the loop out with the vu+ uno in standby. The sky box now receives a satellite channel but doesn't loop through the channel from the vu+ uno.
Basically the connection between the boxes seems to be giving the sky box the ability to view basic t
v (freeview, BBC,
ITV etc) but no sky or satellite channels.
Any ideas?

It wont give you any channels per say the loopout is just that to feed the satellite signal that the Uno is receiving to another box which in your case is the Sky HD box, This loopout can only feed a raw satellite signal and nothing else, It cannot for instance as you are asking feed pay channels into your Sky HD receiver.

Larry-G
26-04-12, 20:26
all the loopthrough feature does is provide a active feed from the lnb to the sky receiver, in the same way as if you just connect the receiver directly to the lnb without the uno.

mtomo1985
26-04-12, 20:35
Thanks to everybody for your support.

Rob van der Does
27-04-12, 05:31
Thanks to everybody for your support.
You're welcome, but please tell us what the outcome is. We're curious you know!

mtomo1985
27-04-12, 17:06
You're welcome, but please tell us what the outcome is. We're curious you know!

The outcome of this thread is as follows:

The vu+ Uno loop out functionality works when in standby connected to a Sky+ Box.

When connected to a sky box you will only get the basic channels (bbc, itv, etc) as you would as if the sky box was plugged directly into the main satellite feed.

It works with HDMI, scart or both.

Before i posted this thread is didn't really understand the functionality the loop out would give me. I assumed i would see whatever channel that was set on the Vu+ uno box would be displayed on my sky box. This was not the case and this assumption was purely down to my lack of understanding.

I have resorted to plan B, which is installed unbuntu 12.4 on an old laptop and streaming tv through the laptop onto my bedroom tv.

Thanks for all your support in this thread, no doubt i'll be back soon.

Cheers
MTOMO1985