PDA

View Full Version : Please can anyone recommend a good sat receiver....

Comfysofa
15-04-12, 19:23
As above....if anyone could point me in the right direction....

Im looking for a receiver for general use....Gotta be HD with the possibility of adding a hard disc....

Now i know your all going to say a VU+ - got one of those and its great but too much for the job i want it to do....im already using a DB800 and 7025 and 600 elsewhere in the house, but another DB800 is too expensive ( i like to stick to genuine models ) the 7025 is too old (only standard def) same for the 600...

The reason i ask is that ive seen loads of receivers that have come on the market for about 150 ish that seem to do HD but i want one that enigma, reasonably easy to set up and has good support....

Is the VU solo supported as well as the duo?? that was one of my thoughts....

If anyone can chime in thatd be great - thanks to anyone that does

Comfy

sheraz2
15-04-12, 19:42
Vu solo. Reasonably priced and can add an external drive.

Larry-G
15-04-12, 20:02
The Vu+ Solo is as highly supported as all other receivers in the Vu+ range although you can not mount a HDD internally you can use a external HDD etc.

Tyler
15-04-12, 20:04
Gigablue 800se hd. Linux 2 stb.
Sponsor says they are fantastic value.
If they are good enough for sponsor then they are good enough for anyone.
Also you will get an extra £5 off.

I'll have to start getting commission :roflmao:
That would be my choice

Comfysofa
15-04-12, 20:10
Thanks for all the info - the gigablue 800se - can you tell me a bit more - is it easy to install cams/extra software - what are the images like?? - any links to any reviews/ ill go looking for some now myself...

Tyler
15-04-12, 20:40
Thanks for all the info - the gigablue 800se - can you tell me a bit more - is it easy to install cams/extra software - what are the images like?? - any links to any reviews/ ill go looking for some now myself...

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?16207-Spec-and-pictures-of-the-GiGaBlue-HD-800-SE

Have a look at this mate :-)

Comfysofa
15-04-12, 20:44
Thanks very much - i reckon ill go for one of these i think - gonna look at some more reviews but i reckon this is the boy....i can sacrifice the internal hd - but as the thread said i looks like someone has fitted one - gonna go have a dig around.....

thanks again for the info - if i hadnt have asked i wouldnt have known.

Cheers....

Stanman
15-04-12, 20:59
I was gonna recommend the 800 as well, out of the sub £180 its the only one AFAIK that runs E2 rather than propriarty image.

s1m0nw
15-04-12, 21:26
gigablue 800 se is a gd box got one for my grandpa - had a wee bit of bother getting it setup things are slightly different due to image.

Sicilian
15-04-12, 21:58
Gigablue HD800SE is spot on with the latest Team Red image all you need to install extra's like softcams http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?16217-Extra-url-tool-Gigablue Just add Cooltvguide from the plugin feeds and its got all you need ;) Noobie setup guide here :) http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?16312-Quick-noobie-setup-guide-using-latest-Team-Red-image-from-17-02-12

tomthebomb1968
16-04-12, 01:40
Have you had a look at the Golden Media 990 CR HD PVR SPARK LX. A friend bought one last week and he says the build quality is excellent. No internal Hard Drive but wil take external. He has Enigma 2 setup and running on it. Bought on that well known auction site for £109 delivered to Northern Ireland.

Sicilian
16-04-12, 05:19
Have you had a look at the Golden Media 990 CR HD PVR SPARK LX. A friend bought one last week and he says the build quality is excellent. No internal Hard Drive but wil take external. He has Enigma 2 setup and running on it. Bought on that well known auction site for £109 delivered to Northern Ireland.

They're not broadcom based and not very well supported. The Gigablue HD800SE is broadcom based and starting to get more and more support.

tomthebomb1968
16-04-12, 14:59
I accept that there are not a lot of teams working on the box but plenty of info at swtools site . But for £109 this is a bargain. I took into consideration that Comfy has previous linux box experience.

Sicilian
16-04-12, 15:06
I personally only recommend Enigma 2 receivers that are broadcom based, any Enigma 2 receiver running anything else other than Boradcom chips never runs as they should. Many have tried but never 100% succeeded. Spend the extra and buy broadcom based, will be money well spent!