PDA

View Full Version : Can the Uno record a different channel to the one you're currently watching?

Worthy
15-04-12, 17:56
Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked before but I'm new to all this Linux receiver business and I couldn't find the answer from scouring the forums.

Basically I understand the Uno has a single tuner (hence the name!), but from looking at pictures of the back of it, it looks like you can attach two LNB inputs. Does this mean you can watch one channel whilst recording another (ala Sky+) or would I require a box with two tuners for this?

Cheers

Rob van der Does
15-04-12, 17:58
Only one input can be connected: the other connector is a 'loop through'(for connecting to another box).
But: the UNO is indeed capable of that, as long as both channels are on the same transponder.

Worthy
15-04-12, 18:08
Fantastic news! From a single input cable too? Call me a dunce but what do you mean by the same transponder? I assume each service (Sky, Viasat etc) are each on the same transponder?

Thirdly - does that mean I spent all day yesterday getting lung cancer from the asbestos in the loft to run a second cable from the dish into the living room, for nothing? :)

Rob van der Does
15-04-12, 18:12
1- Have a look at Lyngsat.com or one of the other satellite info sites
3- No idea, but getting asbestos is never a good idea.........

Stanman
15-04-12, 18:13
Each sat has many Transponder so on Sky you could not record bbc1 and Sly preimere hd as on diff TP.

Since you got the cable, could always buy a USB tuner

Larry-G
15-04-12, 18:17
Fantastic news! From a single input cable too? Call me a dunce but what do you mean by the same transponder? I assume each service (Sky, Viasat etc) are each on the same transponder?

Thirdly - does that mean I spent all day yesterday getting lung cancer from the asbestos in the loft to run a second cable from the dish into the living room, for nothing? :)

look here.

http://en.kingofsat.net/pos-28.2E.php

each box represents a single transponder so for example you could watch and record two channels on transponder frequency 10714.00 and so on etc.

Worthy
15-04-12, 19:13
Ahhh ok, thanks for that guys. So really to play it safe I'm better off with the Duo I guess. It's a shame really as the Uno is a gorgeous box. Are any USB tuners compatible?

Stanman
15-04-12, 21:01
For the VIX image, SUNDEK SKY Ultimo works fine on DVBS, on terrestrial theres several you can use

Sicilian
15-04-12, 22:03
Another dual tuner to consider is the Xtrend ET9200 ;) http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Xtrend-Linux-HD-Receivers/Xtrend-ET9200-HD-1080p-Enigma%202-Linux-Twin-Tuner-High-Definition-Satellite-Receiver

Worthy
16-04-12, 13:22
Another dual tuner to consider is the Xtrend ET9200 ;) http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Xtrend-Linux-HD-Receivers/Xtrend-ET9200-HD-1080p-Enigma%202-Linux-Twin-Tuner-High-Definition-Satellite-Receiver

Phwoar - sold! Just ordered one of those babies :)

TomG
30-05-12, 16:11
I'm planning to buy a VU+ Uno.
Is simultaneous recording of different broadcasts on the same mux also possible with a DVB-C/T tuner card in de VU+ Uno?
It is possible anyway with a PCTV DVB-T USB stick on a Windows pc with Mediaportal...

Thanks in advance

Sicilian
30-05-12, 16:39
So you want to remove the DVB-S2 tuner and replace with DVB-C/T?

TomG
30-05-12, 20:18
Yes, that's correct. But if I'm not wrong, you can buy the Uno already without tuner so you can install the DVB-T/C tuner card.

Larry-G
30-05-12, 20:27
as far as i am aware you cant buy the receiver without a tuner but you can stipulate which tuner you want at time of purchase etc. personally i think it's a lot of money to spend on a receiver just to use as a terrestrial receiver, unless of course you intend to use the cable side of the tuner.

irishchris
31-05-12, 01:57
I'm planning to buy a VU+ Uno.
Is simultaneous recording of different broadcasts on the same mux also possible with a DVB-C/T tuner card in de VU+ Uno?
It is possible anyway with a PCTV DVB-T USB stick on a Windows pc with Mediaportal...

Thanks in advance

Yes generally with all e2 receivers you can record simultaneous recordings of several channels once they are on the same mux. Have tested this on a duo,et9000, solo and ultimo and have successfully recorded multiple channels on dvbt here in ireland as at present all of out terrestrial channels are available on one mux

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk

Huevos
01-06-12, 08:20
Yes, that's correct. But if I'm not wrong, you can buy the Uno already without tuner so you can install the DVB-T/C tuner card.Although it is a similar idea it's not a PC tuner card, it is a Vu+ interchangeable tuner.

TomG
01-06-12, 09:10
Yes generally with all e2 receivers you can record simultaneous recordings of several channels once they are on the same mux. Have tested this on a duo,et9000, solo and ultimo and have successfully recorded multiple channels on dvbt here in ireland as at present all of out terrestrial channels are available on one mux

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk
Thank you for the information! By e2, I suppose you mean Enigma 2?

as far as i am aware you cant buy the receiver without a tuner but you can stipulate which tuner you want at time of purchase etc. personally i think it's a lot of money to spend on a receiver just to use as a terrestrial receiver, unless of course you intend to use the cable side of the tuner.
It is a lot of money indeed but now I'm using sofware (Mediaportal) on Windows that can handle multiple recordings from one mux. But as it goes with software, there are a lot of bugs/problems (audio/video sometimes stutters, pc won't wake up from stand-by for scheduled recordings etc...). I'm a little tired of those problems. And there's also the higher power usage, a desktop pc is not near a tv to connect (so have to copy recordings on a usb stick/hdd and play them back on my WDTV mediaplayer attached to my tv).
Cheaper DVB-T recorders don't offer multiple channel within one mux recording...

Anyway, I'm considering satellite tv in the near future, but on my location (west-south Belgium), I can receive both public Belgium broadcasts (Dutch and French) and with my antenna right positioned to France, even all Public France broadcastings and more, even some of them in full HD.
Unfortunately, all Belgium broadcasts on terrestrial aren't available on FTA on satellite (only contained in some satellite subscriptions like "TV Vlaanderen"). Most of the French channels aren't also FTA and can only be subscribed to if you have a French satellite subscription (which does require a French postal address)...

Anyway, maybe I can consider a VU+ Ultimo, since then I can mix DVB-T and DVB-S2 thorougher in one device...

Rob van der Does
01-06-12, 10:03
Anyway, maybe I can consider a VU+ Ultimo, since then I can mix DVB-T and DVB-S2 thorougher in one device...
That would indeed be my suggestion, reading your story.

Huevos
01-06-12, 21:37
Most of the French channels aren't also FTA and can only be subscribed to if you have a French satellite subscription (which does require a French postal address)...You can get most French channels FTA using a combination of 19E, 9E and 5W. In my French bouquet I think I have pretty much all the PSB channels except France 4.