PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo] Tune failed on some channels

jeff6125
14-04-12, 12:14
Bit weird this, I'm getting tune failed messages on some of the kids sky freesat channels (plus a few others). If I go from one of these to BBC1 or 2 I get Service not found! (SID not found in PAT). If I then go to ITV then back to BBC1 its working ok. I assume the same prob is causing both issues here.

I'm fairly sure its not the LNB or coax or alignment because my sky box can pick these up no problems using the same kit. I've tried on a communal dish they installed recently and my own dish and both do the same thing.

Are there any sort of checks I can do to narrow down where the issue is? I can't imagine its the tuner as so many of the other channels work ok.

Thanks
jeff

basilyoung
14-04-12, 12:19
have you got the latest sat list? or alternitly, do a scan on 28 east ( takes about 10 minutes )?

jeff6125
14-04-12, 17:24
I thought I had but it seems not. Did an auto scan with clear on and now all the channels I was getting the error on are missing in dbedit. Have been removed from my bouquets as well????
I've tried with a new satellites.xml from satellites-xml.eu and ticked the box for Astra 1N/2A/2B/2D/Eutelsat 28A (28.2E) and the same result.

basilyoung
14-04-12, 17:34
there are vertcal channels, and horizontal as well, with your remaining channels, are they all virtical or all horizontal
if you have both H+V then its not your lnb, if only H OR V then your lnb needs changeing

jeff6125
15-04-12, 00:12
Yeah I've got both H and V channels remaining. Didn't think it be the lnb tried on two anyway plus the sky box has no issues. Unless the sky box is not as sensitive? Gonna see if I can find out which frequencies I'm missing channels from in case there is a pattern.
Thanks!

Midnight
15-04-12, 11:14
What kind of signal strenght and quality are you getting on the channels that are working?

Also, are the missing channels at the higher frequency range?

jeff6125
15-04-12, 12:05
I'm getting SNR values (if that's right??) ranging from 20% on the small channels (Sony TV I think it was) up to 95-99% on big channels like BBC, ITV etc.
All the channels listed on lyngsat for these frequencies are missing 11224 V, 11260 V, 11307 V, 11343 V, 11426 V, 11488 V, 11681 V, 12207 V, 12523 H, 12560 H, 12560 V. There are probably more I've not checked all.

Weird thing is before I did the rescan I know I could get some of the channels in those frequencies.

Thanks

Midnight
15-04-12, 20:40
Have you tried switching on the 22khz in tuner config?

jeff6125
16-04-12, 18:52
I could only see that as an option for diseqc setups. I've got a fixed dish but tried it anyway and left the second satellite as none. Still not got anywhere, I've even lost ITV Anglia West now. Luckily I've got a USB dvb-t tuner installed.

Starting to think the monthly sub to sky is worth it for all the time this has taken up.

Midnight
16-04-12, 22:09
Given everything you've tried it sounds like a hardware fault, is it still under gaurantee?

jeff6125
16-04-12, 22:43
I'm not really sure what prompted it by I decided to try my old dish and coax. Did a scan and bang its all there. I swear I tried it before but I tried so many things I must have gotten confused.

I've got to work out the root cause. I suspect shoddy installation of the communal dish. They forgot to supply power to the system and then took months to come back. Am gonna check the coax first before reporting a fault. At least if it is the communal dish I know some frequencies they can test on. What really does confuse me is why my sky box would pick up those channels. But hey it wouldn't surprise me if I was wrong about the dish then as well.

Thanks to all for the help and advice you really stopped me going too mad!

basilyoung
16-04-12, 23:27
if the dish has been installed on the "tilt" it would get you some strong sigs, but due to the sigs being reflected past the lnb, more sencitive signals would miss the lnb
the other more likely thing that might be wrong,
if the dish is a communal dish, its likely that its using a "quattro" system, so the lnb would read the dish @ Hi Virt/Lo Vert/Hi Hor/Low Hor, though a switch unit, if one of those freqs were not connected, or the switch was faulty, that would account for your aggro

Midnight
17-04-12, 10:33
Glad you got to the bottom of it.

Communal systems can be a real pain and when faulty can throw up some real anomolies.

I live on the ground floor of an apartment with a communal system fed through seperate multiswitches on each floor.

I had a spiderbox that was fine for about 6 months and then mysteriously lost about 10% of channels.

Strangly, my other Humax box could resolve these channels so I assumed the spiderbox must be faulty.

When, I later plugged in my xtrend that was also fine for about 3 months and now has lost loads of channels but another azbox is still able to get all the channels but with weak signals.

I'm certain there's nothing wrong with either the xtrend or the spiderbox and that the faulty communal system is the root cause.

jimmyjoe
21-09-15, 19:58
Glad you got to the bottom of it.

Communal systems can be a real pain and when faulty can throw up some real anomolies.

I live on the ground floor of an apartment with a communal system fed through seperate multiswitches on each floor.

I had a spiderbox that was fine for about 6 months and then mysteriously lost about 10% of channels.

Strangly, my other Humax box could resolve these channels so I assumed the spiderbox must be faulty.

When, I later plugged in my xtrend that was also fine for about 3 months and now has lost loads of channels but another azbox is still able to get all the channels but with weak signals.

I'm certain there's nothing wrong with either the xtrend or the spiderbox and that the faulty communal system is the root cause.

Having an issue which is similar. Quad lnb with duo2 and two zeros connected. One of my lnb line is dodgy it will only tune in H channels. Sometimes I can get all but when it's colder and wet I get less. Faulty lnb or wire not connected properly?