PDA

View Full Version : Network Hard Drive

TomD
12-04-12, 17:02
Hi

I have an external hard drive plugged directly into my Netgear router. Is it possible to create a folder in this hard drive and then map my Vu Duo to it for recording and timeshift?

Thanks
Tom.

Stanman
12-04-12, 20:24
If it is discovered via the networkbrowser scan, than yes.

TomD
16-04-12, 09:49
Hi

Yes it does show in the network browser. Before I rush in and mess things up I would like to check some points with you all please:

1. When I mount the usb drive there is an option to 'replace HDD' I assume I select this option? I think this is the only option I need to change from the defaults?
2. As I haven't passed this screen are there any other changes to be made to the settings in the duo?
3. On my network usb drive, do I have to create any folders and then map the duo to them, or will the duo create them automatically (I hope so!)

Sorry for the questions
Thanks
Tom

TomD
16-04-12, 09:54
Hi

Yes it does show in the network browser. Before I rush in and mess things up I would like to check some points with you all please:

1. When I mount the usb drive there is an option to 'replace HDD' I assume I select this option? I think this is the only option I need to change from the defaults?
2. As I haven't passed this screen are there any other changes to be made to the settings in the duo?
3. On my network usb drive, do I have to create any folders and then map the duo to them, or will the duo create them automatically (I hope so!)
4. By mounting my network hard drive, I assume I will still be able to use it in the normal manner as well as recording to it from my duo?

I should have clarified that I am using Vix too.

Sorry for the questions
Thanks
Tom

TomD
18-04-12, 10:51
Any help on this please?

Sandman
18-04-12, 12:09
Hi

yes, you select this option if you want to use it for your recordings

I don't have one of these but no, you'll have to create the initial recording folder, the Duo will only look for it, not create it!

4. By mounting my network hard drive, I assume I will still be able to use it in the normal manner as well as recording to it from my duo?

Yes...I don't see why not!

TomD
18-04-12, 19:17
Thanks Sandman
Are there special names for the recording folders? And do I need two, one for recording and one for timeshift?
Thanks
Tom

Maxwell
18-04-12, 19:23
you dont need special names but you are better to have these 2 - movies and timeshift

TomD
19-04-12, 14:34
you dont need special names but you are better to have these 2 - movies and timeshift

Hi

I've named the two folders on my network hard drive, gone to network scan, found the drive and mounted it! (lets keep this clean :D). The next step appears to initialisation and file check, but I am scared that if I initialise then I will wipe the 500gb already on the disk!!
Please can someone help with a guide through the rest of the process?

Thanks
Tom

Maxwell
19-04-12, 17:08
you dont need to initialise that drive as it is a network drive, as long as the Duo can see it all you need to do now is set the paths to the movies folder for recording/playback and timeshift folder

TomD
19-04-12, 20:39
you dont need to initialise that drive as it is a network drive, as long as the Duo can see it all you need to do now is set the paths to the movies folder for recording/playback and timeshift folder

Thanks for your help guys - Recording and timeshift sorted out to a network external hard drive plugged directly into my router - How cool is that:thumbsup: