PDA

View Full Version : BT ups broadband speeds to rival Virgin Media

bassethound
11-04-12, 20:34
BT has announced that it is doubling the speed of its top broadband package at no extra cost from tomorrow (April 12).

The network provider's Infinity 2 deal will offer a downstream rate of 76Mbps and upstream speeds of 19Mbps, the operator confirmed.

Basic Infinity package customers will see speeds rise from 1.9Mbps to up to 9.5Mbps, with a 38Mbps downstream service. BT said that the package compares "very well" with Virgin Media's basic deal.

John Petter, managing director, BT Consumer, said: "Super-fast broadband is helping people enjoy the internet far more than ever before. However, many providers have forgotten about the importance of fast upload speeds.

"BT believes that fast upstream speeds are vital given how people now use the internet and so we are distancing ourselves from the competition by providing the UK's fastest upload speed."

BT Infinity is available to more than seven million homes across the UK, with plans in place to expand this to ten million by the end of 2012, and two thirds of British households by 2014.

Customers who sign up for a BT Infinity account or switch to the service from another provider can take advantage of the new speeds from tomorrow. Existing BT customers can switch to the faster products by starting a new contract at no extra cost.

Larry-G
11-04-12, 20:40
Its all good and well BT infinity upping their speeds and Virgin upping their speeds. but i cant get either of them so i'm stuck with bloody copper wire and a poxy 8 meg maximum which is capped to the hilt at peak times.

Stanman
11-04-12, 21:38
Just gone fibre here with Talktalk and getting 37MB down adn 1.6 up:D:D well pleased with it and icing on the cake would be a free upgrade:thumbsup: but don't think its gonna happen

Mr. Mister
11-04-12, 21:52
Infinity has only just become available to me about 6 months ago.. and had it from the start..

So im gonna be making a phone call in the morning to see where it gets me.. lol

At the mo.. im getting 36 down.. and 2 up..So this will be interesting..

Rimmel
14-04-12, 20:10
Been on BE broadband for a couple of years now at 24 down and 2.3 up...... @ £21 a month. Bet infinity costs a whole heap more than that........ and BE don't block sites or use PHORM like BT do. :cool: For the last two reasons alone I would neverr buy a BT package.

digi247
15-04-12, 01:14
Been on BE broadband for a couple of years now at 24 down and 2.3 up...... @ £21 a month. Bet infinity costs a whole heap more than that........ and BE don't block sites or use PHORM like BT do. :cool: For the last two reasons alone I would neverr buy a BT package.

Well i have had infinity for around 7 months have yet to find a site that i use that BT block, Although i dont use torrents but i have used Usenet for the last 15 years and have not been throttled in any way from BT at anytime of day while downloading. Infact i am that impressed i just signed up for a new contract again to go from my 39mb down and 9mb up to there maximum 80mb down and 20mb up and all for the same price of £26 a month Bargain in my eyes.

Stanman
15-04-12, 17:52
Brilliant ISP but there fallen behind since the O2 takeover ala Bulldog when they were sold. Was with them for three years and brilliant service.