PDA

View Full Version : Ultimo Freezes when I STOP playing AVI Files?

Tropheus
09-04-12, 21:40
Hi,

When I stop playing an AVI file my Ultimo freezes, instead of returning to live TV the screen just shows the last frame of the AVI and freezes. The only way I have found to cure this is to reset the box? It also sometimes happens with MKV files but not so often as it does with AVI...... It plays the AVI files no problem,

Any ideas why this is happening?

Rob van der Does
10-04-12, 06:09
'AVI' is a container, and doesn't say anything about the contents. Apparently the used codec is not compatible with your hardware (as is very often the case with 'found', badly encoded files). The fact that the box does play the file also doesn't mean it is fully compatible (as your experience show).

The present generation of STB's simply will never be a real Multi-Mediaplayer, as all decoding has to be done in the hardware.

micscave
10-04-12, 14:19
Hi,

When I stop playing an AVI file my Ultimo freezes, instead of returning to live TV the screen just shows the last frame of the AVI and freezes. The only way I have found to cure this is to reset the box? It also sometimes happens with MKV files but not so often as it does with AVI...... It plays the AVI files no problem,

Any ideas why this is happening?

Have you pressed the "STOP" button which should take you back to the movie list ?

Tropheus
10-04-12, 14:33
Yes I press the stop button and it takes me back to the Movie list but the last frame of the AVI file is displayed in the TV window. If I play another movie or go to live TV the sound works but all that displays is the last frame of the AVI, it is like as though the display has frozen but the Audio works.

The only way I have found to clear it it with a rest.....

Thanks for your reply Rob, are there any other AVI codec's I could use on the Ultimo?

Rob van der Does
10-04-12, 18:33
Thanks for your reply Rob, are there any other AVI codec's I could use on the Ultimo?
AVI is a container and can contain all sorts of codecs. The extension 'AVI' doesn't mean anything at all, you could change it to any other extension.

Tropheus
11-04-12, 16:56
Is there any software available that would check and repair my media files, similar to the way TS Doctor works on TS files. I have lots of AVI and MKV recordings that play fine on other media players but give me this problem when played on the Ultimo.

Rob van der Does
11-04-12, 17:30
"Normal' mediaplayers can decode in software, and are therefore much more flexible.
If you really want to play them via a STB (doesn't really matter which one) you'd best convert the using the h264 codec. There is a number of PC-based programs that will do this trick for you.

Tropheus
11-04-12, 19:01
Thank you Rob, I will try that...