PDA

View Full Version : Movie List button causes crash

GrantK
06-04-12, 03:58
This problem started when I inserted a USB Flash stick to try and copy some files across. I pressed the Movie List button, which usually takes me to /hdd/movie and started navigating around the filesystem from there. When I got to the root directory, Enigma crashed as I was scrolling up the list of subdirectories -- I forget which one it was.

Now I cannot use the Movie List button or Enigma crashes again. It seems to have remembered the filesystem directory I was looking at, and tries to take me back to the same place each time I press the button. I have looked all through Setup trying to find where the path for the Movie List button is set, so I can change it back to /hdd/movie. Unfortunately, I cannot find any place to do this.

Running VIX 2.1 on Vu+ Duo. Any suggestions would be great.

Cheers,
Grant.

GrantK
06-04-12, 06:25
P.S. When I say "Movie List" above, I am referring to the button to the right of MENU which displays the list of recordings. I can't see any way to edit my post above, so apologies for the double post.

Larry-G
06-04-12, 06:29
Dont worry thats the correct name for that button. as for your problem we no longer update nor maintain ViX 2.1 so i'm not really sure how to help as i never actually ran that version of the image. have you rebooted the receiver fully by this i mean powering down, wait for 1 minute the powering back up ?.

GrantK
06-04-12, 06:48
have you rebooted the receiver fully by this i mean powering down, wait for 1 minute the powering back up ?.
Yes, I've done that but it made no difference. A green screen comes up with a whole lot of info. concerning the crash, but it disappears before I've had the chance to read much of it. I guess I could recover it from the crash log file if it would help.

I am willing to try a new version of VIX if you think that would help, but would need some pointers as to how to do a full backup and restore my CAM configuration files, Satellites.XML and the like. Still fairly much a newbie with Vu+ receivers, and don't want to pester the Australian distributor who already helped me plenty when getting the box initially set up.

Larry-G
06-04-12, 06:57
you can use a FTP program such as flash fxp or filezilla which is free from here to backup your cam configuration files found in the ETC folder of your receiver
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?12992-FileZilla-Latest-Version&highlight=filezilla

as for the satellites.xml just use dreambox edit or dreamset to backup your whole channel bouquet which includes the satellites.xml file.

if you need help just ask i'm sure there will be more than enough people on the forum to help where possible. also remember you will need to upgrade the bootloader of the receiver if you want to use any of the newer images from any team as there all using the Linux 3.1.1 kernel now, again help can be provided if it's needed.

GrantK
06-04-12, 07:47
Many Thanks Pheonix. I'll wait a bit longer in case anybody knows how to fix the simple problem I'm having. Hopefully someone has encountered it before.

Failing that, I'll do as you suggest. I remember reading of a fair few problems with VIX 2.3 and the Linux 3.1.1 kernel. Are you sure it's all sorted now?

I have used Dreambox Edit before, and Filezilla, so am familiar with those. What about the CAM files themselves?
Do I need to back them up separately, or are the latest versions included with the VIX image?

Maxwell
06-04-12, 08:20
As Pheonix says we dont support that version of the image anymore but is there an option in menu>setup>system for recording settings ? If so make sure the Default Movie Location is set to /hdd/movie

Larry-G
06-04-12, 08:38
Many Thanks Pheonix. I'll wait a bit longer in case anybody knows how to fix the simple problem I'm having. Hopefully someone has encountered it before.

Failing that, I'll do as you suggest. I remember reading of a fair few problems with VIX 2.3 and the Linux 3.1.1 kernel. Are you sure it's all sorted now?

I have used Dreambox Edit before, and Filezilla, so am familiar with those. What about the CAM files themselves?
Do I need to back them up separately, or are the latest versions included with the VIX image?

There are still some issues affecting the Duo with the 3.1.1 linux kernel across all images. Vu are aware of these and are now as we speak looking into them with the aid of one fo the affected receivers that belongs to one of our team. i cant speak for every one but i can say that my own Vu+ Duo has never encountered any issues with the 3.1.1 kernel images and very rarely if ever crashes. although it is worth noting that i'm using a newer series beta image on mine.

as for softcams. no we dont provide them either in the image by default or to download via the image servers. however you can get them from here.

http://www.4shared.com/dir/wnyHV50A/VIX_CAMS.html

GrantK
07-04-12, 16:47
As Pheonix says we dont support that version of the image anymore but is there an option in menu>setup>system for recording settings ? If so make sure the Default Movie Location is set to /hdd/movie
Thanks for the suggestion, but I already checked that, and it is set to /hdd/movie.

Just one further thought before I take the plunge and reflash: Would a "Factory Reset" be likely to help?
Would I lose my CAM settings if I do this?

judge
07-04-12, 16:52
Thanks for the suggestion, but I already checked that, and it is set to /hdd/movie.

Just one further thought before I take the plunge and reflash: Would a "Factory Reset" be likely to help?
Would I lose my CAM settings if I do this?

Yes, doing a factory reset would loose your settings.
Just back up your settings, cams & channel lists to your PC & then reflash with latest version.

GrantK
07-04-12, 16:57
Yes, doing a factory reset would loose your settings.
Just back up your settings, cams & channel lists to your PC & then reflash with latest version.
Cheers for that Judge. Would a Factory Reset be likely to fix the crashing problem though?

judge
07-04-12, 16:59
Probably, but you will be back on the original image as far as I know, not VIX.
Someone else will correct me if i'm wrong here.

Maxwell
07-04-12, 17:01
No it will just factory reset the image it is running

GrantK
07-04-12, 17:12
No it will just factory reset the image it is running
OK, thanks guys. So it would be worth a try then, before I reflash with a new version. The reason I am loath to do this is because I'm not sure if the particular CAM files I am using will work with VIX 2.3. CCcam is V1.3c which is quite old, and I'm not sure which version of OSCam I'm running.

Can anyone point me at a "Dummies Guide" to backing up CAM files and their settings?

I can see the various subdirectories on the Vu+ Duo via my networked PC which is running Windows XP. I presume it's just a case of copying the files across the network. Or is it better to use FTP?

Maxwell
07-04-12, 17:26
I use filezilla, the cams will be in /usr/softcams and the configs should be in /etc just copy them across to your pc. Your version of CCcam should be ok with any image as long as it is in the right location.
Use DBEdit to save your channel lists as well and if you are unfamiliar with setup write down your tuner settings so you can get them right afterwards

gazhay
31-03-13, 21:36
I have this exact problem.

Movie List is crashing when "defaulting" to last location it was used in - which is a network drive.
Would really like a way to remove that "cache" - yes - ried rebooting, etc.

No - cannot update to latest because you guys changed the skin code, and the only skin worth using, won't work with the EPG now, and no-one will tell me what changed so I can fix the skin.

So - how do we wipe out "movie list"'s memory?

judge
31-03-13, 22:53
What's the 'the only skin worth using' that's stopping you from updating?