PDA

View Full Version : Copying from SATA to eSATA

marty
02-04-12, 15:45
I have been using an external USB HDD to copy stuff from the internal SATA onto (for editing messing about with on my PC)
Today I got a new HDD enclosure that has eSATA on it. I now have it conected by eSATA instead of USB but it is no faster copying from the internal SATA HDD :confused:
I would have thought it would have been alot faster transfuring stuff?

Any ideas on how to speed it up?

Sandman
02-04-12, 15:53
I have been using an external USB HDD to copy stuff from the internal SATA onto (for editing messing about with on my PC)
Today I got a new HDD enclosure that has eSATA on it. I now have it conected by eSATA instead of USB but it is no faster copying from the internal SATA HDD :confused:
I would have thought it would have been alot faster transfuring stuff?

Any ideas on how to speed it up?

what speed are you getting?

marty
02-04-12, 15:59
Havn't a clue :( all I can say is it isn't much faster than USB (apears to be the same)
Is there a command to test/see the speed?

Sandman
02-04-12, 16:30
Havn't a clue :( all I can say is it isn't much faster than USB (apears to be the same)
Is there a command to test/see the speed?

marty,

give this a go - 'time cp source destination'

ie.

1.open a terminal session to your box
2. change directory to your HDD
3. take a reasonably large file, say 100MB (rename or replicate it to something like test.extension to make life easy!
4. enter 'time cp test.zip /media/esata' (where test.zip is the file in question and /media/esata is the path to your eSATA drive)

the transfer time will tell you how quickly its being sent to the eSATA from the HDD....the bigger the file the better really to give you a decent average!

Theres probably a more elegant way to do it...this is pretty quick and dirty :D

Rob van der Does
02-04-12, 16:49
As all transfers go via the CPU it is very likely that speeds won't differ very much.