PDA

View Full Version : Box crashed now stuck on Starting...

mrmad1966
01-04-12, 18:42
OK.. MUST be something wrong with VIX. Second time now in three days tv channel has suddenly froze on screen only way to resolve is to power off & cold reboot, again just like first time nothing happens first time I was forced to re-image from scratch.. AGHHHHHH ! Any ideas folks, would be appreciated ? Last time I powered off disconnected internal hdd & removed usb but did no good. Only the re-image worked..
Thanks For Reading

J
PS.. WHIW, The duo now says Starging instead of Starting WTF ! And this is a vanilla install 2.3 with no plugins/extras..

BadBoy
01-04-12, 19:04
I'm afraid a fresh flash is the only solution. You are nit the only one this happens to.

Make sure you backup your settings using Vix backup manager and you can do a restore if it happens again

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

mrmad1966
01-04-12, 19:13
Badboy, when you say i am not the only one this happens too, have you noticed with the others if its only VIX thats subject to this ?
Thank you

Dell_XPS
01-04-12, 19:39
Your not using the rytec epg by any chance are ya ?

mrmad1966
01-04-12, 19:43
CrossEPG m8

mrmad1966
01-04-12, 20:07
Your not using the rytec epg by any chance are ya ?

May I ask was there any specific reason you asked this ?????

Huevos
01-04-12, 20:11
If you look around the forums of all the different images this problem seems to affect them all from kernel 3.1.1. That means it must be something at a lower level, possibly a memory leak. This is not something image developers can cure as the code in question is not open source, so it has been reported to Vu+ and it is up to them to find a solution.

BadBoy
02-04-12, 07:11
Badboy, when you say i am not the only one this happens too, have you noticed with the others if its only VIX thats subject to this ?
Thank you

I am only aware of this problem on the vu duo running vix, I have an xtrend also which is solid.

There are a few threads on this forum about it.

Maxwell
02-04-12, 08:29
As Huevos stated it is nothing to do with the image, it is a problem with the Linux core from VU+ they are aware and are working on a fix - As far as I know only affects VU Duo's.
As Xtrend is a Clarke Tech unit it will be unaffected by it.

Dell_XPS
02-04-12, 10:06
Once I disabled the rytec epg and started using the open tv source manually, box has been 100% solid, thats all.

Huevos
02-04-12, 10:32
Once I disabled the rytec epg and started using the open tv source manually, box has been 100% solid, thats all.That doesn't mean there is a problem with the plugin. A plugin is not in control of memory use, it's up to the Linux core to properly manage that.

Dell_XPS
02-04-12, 13:29
That doesn't mean there is a problem with the plugin. A plugin is not in control of memory use, it's up to the Linux core to properly manage that.

I was just saying thats what I did and I've had no probs since :-)

Larry-G
02-04-12, 13:34
different things work for different people, it does not always make sense but thats how it goes.

landerson07
02-04-12, 18:37
I've changed to blackhole and it works perfectly! Not a single crash!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

Larry-G
02-04-12, 18:43
I've changed to blackhole and it works perfectly! Not a single crash!

Excellent you have found a image your happy with. Personally and I'm not saying this because I'm affiliated with ViX but I am very hard pressed to get my duo to crash or any of my receivers using ViX, I'm not discounting others problems but I at least have no issues.

landerson07
05-04-12, 01:25
Excellent you have found a image your happy with. Personally and I'm not saying this because I'm affiliated with ViX but I am very hard pressed to get my duo to crash or any of my receivers using ViX, I'm not discounting others problems but I at least have no issues.

Vix was perfect until the latest version! I tried everything to get it to work! BH takes way longer to setup but now that it is I love my duo again!

judge
05-04-12, 01:31
If the EPG corrupts, you can get stuck on the DUO with starting.... on the front display.
Try removing the USB before booting the box & let us know if it boots then.

stick50jr
05-04-12, 02:38
I had the stuck on starting problem with my VuDuo Vix 2.3.204 and ultimately I was able to determine that it was caused by multiple conflicting timers/auto timers. I'm quite sure of this cause because it didn't actually crash and I was able to telnet in and see what was happening. To recover from this situation, I had to delete the timers.xml file. Deleting this file requires that enigma be stopped prior to deletion, to avoid enigma simply writing back the original version.

I used DCC to give me ftp and telnet access. So from the telnet window I did an 'init 4' to stop enigma (I guess this should be referred to as dvbapp these days) and then went to the ftp window and the etc\enigma2 directory and deleted the timers.xml file. To restart enigma I think I used the telnet command 'init 3'...

Now this may not be your problem, but it sure fixed mine. I got into this pickle because I started setting auto timers (a feature I had hither to ignored) and I hadn't deleted the original timers. Furthermore, I had defined alternative channels for some.

There do seem to be a few gotcha's in the current Vix but I'm hanging in there because it is still much more responsive and pleasant to use than the likes of BH1.7.2 IMHO.

cheers

good luck

XRD
05-04-12, 11:27
My box always seems to hang on a hard reboot (power switch at back off/on). The only way I can get it to boot is to unplug my USB and network cable at the back :confused: the USB just has EPG and picons on it, so I am at a loss to why this happens. Happens on Vix latest image. Anyone got any ideas? It gets the 'starting...' screen and doesn't advance any further. If I take out the USB/network then it moves on to 'loading...' and works fine.

judge
05-04-12, 12:04
My box always seems to hang on a hard reboot (power switch at back off/on). The only way I can get it to boot is to unplug my USB and network cable at the back :confused: the USB just has EPG and picons on it, so I am at a loss to why this happens. Happens on Vix latest image. Anyone got any ideas? It gets the 'starting...' screen and doesn't advance any further. If I take out the USB/network then it moves on to 'loading...' and works fine.

What EPG source are you using?

XRD
06-04-12, 16:16
Sorry for slow reply - I am using CrossEPG, with OpenTV provider 'Sky UK OpenTV (Astra2 on 28.2)'.

BadBoy
06-04-12, 20:08
It's not an epg issue, there is a fault somewhere which seems to be killing the box, there is a post pointing towards a memory leak. My box is fine for a week and then it dies.

do a reflash and set the box to restart daily and see how that works for you.

Maxwell
06-04-12, 20:22
It's not an epg issue, there is a fault somewhere which seems to be killing the box, there is a post pointing towards a memory leak. My box is fine for a week and then it dies.

do a reflash and set the box to restart daily and see how that works for you.

Vu are currently investigating this issue and they have a box from one of our team with this problem on test in Korea hopefully we will have the fix soon, it is not an image issue.

davew1
10-04-12, 15:48
this happened to me yesterday. black tv screen. box stuck on starting..
only had the box about 3 weeks and had only just found the time to actually set it up yesterday. it was up and running about 8 hours, then i tried a different bouquet from the tspanel and when asked to press blue to restart enigma. Bang. dead box.
as a complete noob i was a little peed off having only just set it up. anyway, after reading thru the forum again i reflashed the bootloader. no change. reflashed vix image. bingo. box started up again. obviously i had to install the bits and pieces i wanted again, but happy my box is working again :)
sorry for the long post but hope it can help others.
Dave

Larry-G
10-04-12, 16:15
this happened to me yesterday. black tv screen. box stuck on starting..
only had the box about 3 weeks and had only just found the time to actually set it up yesterday. it was up and running about 8 hours, then i tried a different bouquet from the tspanel and when asked to press blue to restart enigma. Bang. dead box.
as a complete noob i was a little peed off having only just set it up. anyway, after reading thru the forum again i reflashed the bootloader. no change. reflashed vix image. bingo. box started up again. obviously i had to install the bits and pieces i wanted again, but happy my box is working again :)
sorry for the long post but hope it can help others.
Dave

When you have the receiver set up exactly the way you want it, make a set of backups so that if something does go wrong you can flash back to a fully set up image. Also I would say be careful with what you install from the TS panel as it can cause you big headaches if you install the wrong thing.

davew1
11-04-12, 18:23
thanks for the advice Phoenix.
tried making a backup today menu> setup> Vix> Backup Manager> Green button (new backup) however it gets to 70% and fails. is this the correct route? is there an alternative way of backing up?
Cheers, Dave

Larry-G
11-04-12, 18:35
thanks for the advice Phoenix.
tried making a backup today menu> setup> Vix> Backup Manager> Green button (new backup) however it gets to 70% and fails. is this the correct route? is there an alternative way of backing up?
Cheers, Dave

yes thats the way to make a backup of your settings etc, try Blue button> ViX> Image manager> Green button this will make a full backup of the entire image in USB format that you can use to flash back to the receiver is any thing goes wrong.
also where are you setting it to save to ? as i personally have mine set to a mounted USB stick.

davew1
19-04-12, 19:52
Grrrr just noticed the reply.. went to make a backup. got to 70% and failed again, and now ive got a dead box again :mad:

danivtec
19-04-12, 21:46
My ultimo died last night and was stuck on starting. Tried reflashing the image but still the same. Tried other images but still the same issue. The box has been sent back under RMA as I could not get it to start up.

davew1
20-04-12, 08:34
Luckily mine is back up and running again. Just a little annoying is all.
Suppose it helps me learn how to flash and add stuff to the box a little faster each time.
Sorry to hear about your ultimo tho. Did u flash with boot loader first before flashing with image? Works for me.

Dave

BadBoy
20-04-12, 12:51
Mine seems to be stable now after I setup a daily reboot through the power management menu.

mrmad1966
21-04-12, 20:02
I'd like to thank everyone for there input... Sadly, I was too impatient to try & narrow down the root cause of the problem so I went for a reflash & all seems to be working fine..