PDA

View Full Version : VU+ DUO Waste of time and money

razor1
31-03-12, 14:33
I'm sorry too say this but these boxes are rubbish for months now I have been unable to get a good signal on any sat with the annoying message all too ofen tune failed. I have had my dish realigned, downloaded several different channel bouquets to no avail. Am I just incompetant?, people talk about sat.xml files but don't these come with the latest bouquest updates any way. I notice also there are never any updated settings in the plugin profile either.

I've had enough of this box I think I'll go out and get one that I can tune in properly and udate and store channels as and when clearly these enigma 2 boxes are lacking.

Sicilian
31-03-12, 14:35
Well in the whole time the VU+ has been available this is the only report I've read of anyone calling them rubbish or a waste of money, maybe you should learn how to use it properly.

Larry-G
31-03-12, 14:37
personally i cant fault my duo it is a very solid receiver and i am very hard pressed to get it to stumble at all let alone crash, the same applies to my uno and ultimo too.

you have to remember that these receivers are not plug and play and they do require a good amount of user setup and maintenance but when you get it right it's faultless.

Sandman
31-03-12, 15:57
Lol razor!

You're obviously really pissed off and I can understand as they're really not for the average satellite user!

Genuinely I can flash a box back to my perfect config in about 15 minutes and I've talked a fair number of people through it all so feel free to drop me a PM and I'll give you a bell and assist with setting it up via teamviewer if you like!

Don't give up, you'll find it's one of the very best boxes on the market!

Mr. Mister
31-03-12, 16:03
I totally agree with Sic and Pheonix.. Thats a ridiculous statement.. !!!!

I have had god knows how many Vu+ receivers.. I have litterally lost count of how many..

I have never ever had any problems with any of them.. At the moment.. I got 5 duo`s .. 2 Solo`s and an Ultimo..

If the receiver is not working properly.. Its a 99.9% chance its the guy thats using it thats at fault.. and not the Vu+ receiver..

Vu+ are totally bullet proof.. They dont just go wrong on their own.. It all depends on what YOU put into the receiver.. and what buttons you press.. !!!!!!

Stanman
31-03-12, 16:44
I'm sorry too say this but these boxes are rubbish for months now I have been unable to get a good signal on any sat with the annoying message all too ofen tune failed. I have had my dish realigned, downloaded several different channel bouquets to no avail. Am I just incompetant?, people talk about sat.xml files but don't these come with the latest bouquest updates any way. I notice also there are never any updated settings in the plugin profile either.

I've had enough of this box I think I'll go out and get one that I can tune in properly and udate and store channels as and when clearly these enigma 2 boxes are lacking.
Feel your frustration mate, but the box is rock solid. I have one of the original VU version 1 and it has been rock solid. I have set up two for family and they are also fine. Never had any issues with tuning apart from my very own box when I was pulling hair as no picture was showing on FTA. One phone call to the supplier and it was sorted in seconds - I had not sat up the tuners - was my very first linux box.

Just bear with it, steep learning curve but worth the effort

Ev0
31-03-12, 17:19
I agree there total crap.

I'll give you 50 quid for your Duo, so that you have some cash to put towards a "propper" sat box :)

bally12345
31-03-12, 17:35
Lol are you for real? The Duo is a great box and with ViX image its very stable e2 stb... I love mine. You may want to read up a few things and try understand how to use it. Have you scanned the correct sat? Are you on fixed dish or motorised? Theres loads of people on here who can help you cant get setup.

wullboy
31-03-12, 17:43
M8......your a day early :D:D:D

talon
31-03-12, 19:22

could you have a faulty one?
have you contacted the suppler?
have you tried taking it to a friends house that has a fixed sky dish and setting tuner 1 up as a fixed tuner with a bouquet?

i use black hole image and that has updated settings via the plugins from different "bouquet" people. i.e catseye

you in the north manchester area? happy to help:)

been in the sat game for over 15 years and this is the best box i have had imho

s1m0nw
31-03-12, 19:36
gotta say myself I aint been in the game long all came on in the last month or so - bought myself Vu+ took my ages to get my head round it but with the help of these people on this forum I got it up and running smoothly - I am now comfortable chopping and changing images installing ipk etc etc From what I see Its a great box!!

You maybe just need to ask for a wee bit of assistance could be that you maybe have a faulty tuner??

micscave
31-03-12, 21:27
Hey razor1
You say that you haven't been able to get a good signal for months and that you've had your dish realigned. Have you checked the lnb to see if that is the problem or the cabling? Just a thought.

judge
31-03-12, 21:35
VU boxes are rock solid. I have 3 & doubt I'd go with anything else.

Foxylady
31-03-12, 22:24
Lol razor!

Genuinely I can flash a box back to my perfect config in about 15 minutes

I'll race ya, less than 10 minutes with all i need on my desktop ready.
I have been testing myself each time :D

Razor i am available to give you an hand if need be.
Only naff if you as mentioned are not in the know, which is soemthing we all have been at at some stage bud :thumbsup:

Trial
31-03-12, 22:38
Hi,
one silly question have you simply tried a channel scan and start from scratch?

ciao

sheraz2
01-04-12, 00:07
This gotta be a wind up. I have recently got this box and it's the best box ever. Had it set up for about a month and not one crash. Love it.

wullboy
01-04-12, 00:57
This gotta be a wind up. I have recently got this box and it's the best box ever. Had it set up for about a month and not one crash. Love it.

Deffo m8...... i believe a total wind-up

basilyoung
01-04-12, 00:58
to be honest, I cant be bother,d with peeps that slag a unit down, with a proven record, its more likely a post designed to get some one to set it up for them, click and go merchant, this thread has run for a while now, with no reponce from the orig poster, sez it all really

Rob van der Does
01-04-12, 06:10
could you have a faulty one?
have you contacted the suppler?
Exactly what I was going to ask; there's always the possibility of a hardware failure.

..... this thread has run for a while now, with no reponce from the orig poster....
Hmmm, not even 12 hours when you wrote that.......

lsmirsat
01-04-12, 07:09
I have used a vu+ duo for some time and I can say that it was the best box I have used.
I say that it was because I have now moved up to the Vu+ Ultimo:):):)
You do however have to spent some time to learn about setting up those boxes.

Huevos
01-04-12, 15:06
I have had my dish realigned, downloaded several different channel bouquets to no avail. Am I just incompetant?, people talk about sat.xml files but don't these come with the latest bouquest updates any way. I notice also there are never any updated settings in the plugin profile either.

I've had enough of this box I think I'll go out and get one that I can tune in properly and udate and store channels as and when clearly these enigma 2 boxes are lacking.Transponders and channels change parameters all the time, and no receiver automatically retunes.

To do a rescan on 28E, start with the receiver on a working channel on that satellite. Then go to menu -> setup -> service search -> manual. Select single transponder search. Clear before search = yes, and Network search = yes. That way it will delete anything that has gone and over write anything that has changed parameters (even if your satellites.xml file is out of date).

razor1
01-04-12, 21:01
Well thanks to those who have offered there help and support on this topic, at first the box worked a dream (no pun intended). However as mentioned of late despite realignment, reinstalling various versions of VIX and several bouquet installs. The situation is getting worse, alas I have now had the box over 18 months so no chance of return under warranty even if it is faulty, I do like the box and have previously praised the VIX image however I am reluctant to shell to another five hundred nicker on a box which may after a short period of time go the same way. Hence considering a cheaper alternative which I can fine tune and store channels with, apparently this is not possible with enigma 2. Any how further to my existing problem it appears upon installing any version of VIX the system crashes if I attempt to do an on line software update. I have bought another Linux box thats also 3D and the guy is coming to install and set it up next week so I'll ask him to check my dish, motor and lnb while he's here.

basilyoung
01-04-12, 21:11
to be honest, I cant be bother,d with peeps that slag a unit down, with a proven record, its more likely a post designed to get some one to set it up for them, click and go merchant, this thread has run for a while now, with no reponce from the orig poster, sez it all really

responding to my own comments, and thanks Rob for your input

I stand corrected, ( regards to no responce from the orig poster ) and hope no offence was taken, ( and if it was, apologies ) I would be very surprised if the unit is fualty though,
and with a bit of study, I am sure the unit will prove to be ok

razor1
01-04-12, 21:18
Hi,
one silly question have you simply tried a channel scan and start from scratch?

ciao

Tried channel scan before but whilst box says ex amount of services found I can never find them in the channel list

basilyoung
01-04-12, 21:24
Tried channel scan before but whilst box says ex amount of services found I can never find them in the channel list

when you look to see any new channels, are you looking via Bouquets ( blue button ) or are you looking via the green button? ( satellites ) ?? it should be the latter

razor1
01-04-12, 21:32
when you look to see any new channels, are you looking via Bouquets ( blue button ) or are you looking via the green button? ( satellites ) ?? it should be the latter

Blue button which explains everything, I'm gonna try a fresh install of the image and do a channel scan and try the green option mentioned. Will let you all know how I get on sorry if my original post seemed harsh on the unit clearly a lot out there are passionate about this box, me too if only I could get the bloody thing to work correctly.

PS having used windows and linux distros for some time last week I treated myself to a Mac which I'm just getting to grips with. However i appears to be an endless game of shelling out for apps to install via the app store. Can anyone recommend a good archive manager/extractor tool thx.

Larry-G
01-04-12, 21:36
if only I could get the bloody thing to work correctly.

thats exactly what forums like this are here for. if you have questions or need help ask for it, every one had to learn somewhere and you never know you may just end up saving your self money trying to get a already working system "fixed".

basilyoung
01-04-12, 21:56
Blue button which explains everything, I'm gonna try a fresh install of the image and do a channel scan and try the green option mentioned. Will let you all know how I get on sorry if my original post seemed harsh on the unit clearly a lot out there are passionate about this box, me too if only I could get the bloody thing to work correctly.,

First of all, its not a good idea to complicate threads, with secondary issues, thats best sorted via a new thread

regards to blue/green button, its an easy mistake to make, using something like Dream box edit is the easier way to update your listings, ( its best, if you are unsure, to ask for surgestions on what list to use, ie, 28 east only, or full euro ) but for now do a scan, then use the green button, and you will see what the unit has found

Spoof
01-04-12, 22:21
Am I just incompetant?

Probably - unless you got a faulty box.
The Duo is easily the best receiver I've ever used.

judge
01-04-12, 22:46
If it was working perfectly for a long while & you are updating your bouquets when needed, are you sure mice haven't been kawing o the cables or the wind knocking the dish out?
If you have a new installer coming this week, they should be able to fix the issue anyway...

Dell_XPS
02-04-12, 10:10
Blue button which explains everything, I'm gonna try a fresh install of the image and do a channel scan and try the green option mentioned. Will let you all know how I get on sorry if my original post seemed harsh on the unit clearly a lot out there are passionate about this box, me too if only I could get the bloody thing to work correctly.

PS having used windows and linux distros for some time last week I treated myself to a Mac which I'm just getting to grips with. However i appears to be an endless game of shelling out for apps to install via the app store. Can anyone recommend a good archive manager/extractor tool thx.

Your Vu Duo will show up in Finder on your Mac, you can acess the root and hard drive folder from there, as long as it's on the same network, transfer files both ways no problem.

razor1
02-04-12, 22:04
If it was working perfectly for a long while & you are updating your bouquets when needed, are you sure mice haven't been kawing o the cables or the wind knocking the dish out?
If you have a new installer coming this week, they should be able to fix the issue anyway...

Yep hope so Judge

snakie
03-04-12, 23:06
I will give you 150£

Larry-G
03-04-12, 23:08
I will give you 150£

I dont know if your joking or being serious but please remember this is not a sales thread, if the OP decides to go ahead and sell the receiver he would have to create a sales thread for it.

snakie
04-04-12, 16:26
I dont know if your joking or being serious but please remember this is not a sales thread, if the OP decides to go ahead and sell the receiver he would have to create a sales thread for it.
O.k pheonix-that was a joke.Real value between 260-280(used original one-I hate clones)

Larry-G
04-04-12, 16:28
O.k pheonix-that was a joke.Real value between 260-280(used original one-I hate clones)

yeah i suspected as much, just pointing out the trading rules so that users dont get in a habit of making offers in inappropriate sections.

lincolnelt
29-06-12, 22:53
sorry will do in the future

Sicilian
29-06-12, 23:03
sorry will do in the future

Started your own thread for you http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?19236-Tuning-issues

Conaxthewarrior
30-06-12, 21:54
Regarding the initial pizzed off atitude, I can understand it - when I first got my vu+ duo I expected everything on a plate and soon found out it is a user input device where things have to be leaned & experienced rather than everything nicely explained in a users manual - I was livid that I couldnt do a thing without problems.....eventually drove back to the shop, (miles away) to hand the reciever back.When I got there the place was closed so I drove home again! Later, putting brain in gear, I found the forum and hey presto the "problems" were gone (thanks lads). Now, nobody gets near my Vu + Duo - I get very touchy about this - it's become the best reciever I've ever had and I've developed a kind of relationship with it - hard to explain. Practically, it's a very sensitive reciever, showing channels clearly even with a very small snr% from near the horizon satellites and tries to show a good picture even when the snr is well under the required level (MSNBC ON 15W for eg). I've learned more about satellite doo-dahs than I ever would have done had I bought an off-the-shelf reciever and am very happy with it.

Rob van der Does
01-07-12, 06:32
...... I've learned more about satellite doo-dahs than I ever would have done had I bought an off-the-shelf reciever and am very happy with it.
An often heard story. Buyers should be warned that this is not a Sky-box or so. But once in your entertainment/operating room a steep learning curve is the usual experience; once somewhere near the top of that one begins to really appreciate 'special' boxes like the DUO (Enigma boxes in general).
Good to hear your enthusiastic story!

xarqi
01-07-12, 08:19
I beg to differ, but it may just be a local exception. I unpacked my Vu+ Duo, plugged in the power, HDMI, and two LNB leads, and turned it on, and that was that. Up and running. Having read the manual, the only change I made to the default configuration was to split the tuners, rather than have them looped. About 5 minutes later I had it recording across my LAN to a shared disc attached to my iMac - that was just a matter of plugging in the IP address and sharename. A week or so later, I installed an internal drive - trivial - initialised it - no hassles. I can mount the internal drive from my iMac and copy files off for editing and archiving, and replay from that archive on the Vu+

I had far less trouble getting the Vu+ going than the earlier machine I'd bought first but sent back as a bad joke.

I say "local exception", because the distributor here at the time did a superb job of setting them up for local conditions, and those conditions are admittedly fairly simple. Short of occasionally adding or removing a service as they turn over, I've had to change nothing. I'm still running quite happily on the version of open PLi that it shipped with. It gets rebooted only when the mains power fails!

fulabeer
02-07-12, 19:24
There is a problem with Duo's!!!
They are too damn reliable...;)

The main problem i'm having is trying to remember how i set it all up! :D

I went all through the learning curve, and had everything under control. I knew what did what, and what was where. I finally settled on VIX 2.0 and haven't updated since. There is a very good reason for this. It's because it hasn't missed a beat, with not a single issue. I just update my sat/channel lists using Cateyes excellent Boutiques, using dream edit on my PC. It takes seconds to update to the latest channels, so i haven't wasted a single second tweaking.

The downside to this reliability is knowledge fade. I'm beginning to really get worried when and if it all goes wrong. I'm totally out of the loop and will be lost where to start again!
So thanks VIX team and VU, you have turned me back into a simpleton....:p

PAUL7331
03-07-12, 14:21
Genuine LOL at this thread title!

satmanbasil
03-07-12, 15:01
Hi

Complaint probley from someone who gets the kids to programe the dvd recorder lol the stb's both duo and solo are rock solid and like many here i have my files on backup on my pc and from insert of new image i can be up and running with settings ccam etc in 10mins. Always a good idea to know what your purchasing and read about faq for knowledge

regards

johndigital
20-09-12, 18:57
I agree there total crap.

I'll give you 50 quid for your Duo, so that you have some cash to put towards a "propper" sat box :)

:smiley_yup::roflmao:

Conaxthewarrior
20-09-12, 19:53
Like I put in an earlier thread on the same subject of pizzed off users, the VU+ Duo is not exactly easy it use from moment 1 if you havnt had somthing like it before and I was just as enraged as you are, razor1. So much so, that I even drove back to the shop (a round trip of well over 100miles), to return it - it was closed (owner on holiday) so had to return with it.
Good job because after i found this forum, with its online, all problems solved 24 hrs (nearly) service and people who really do and have the know how - all my VU+ 'problems" dissappeared.
Eg I could'nt up date the frequencies - found out these can be downloded from a web site in a file called Satellites.xml then I couldnt open said file & later found out that a special program has to be used (dreambox edit) THEN you can see how versetile & sencitive the reciever is -for one thing I cant think of any other reciever that changes face as many times as the VU+ Duo does. Every time a new image is released, it's like I bought a machine upgrade, does more can more. Nah mate, like me you going thru the finding out stage, have patience, the guys'll help then it's the best reciever yer ever had.

Huevos
20-09-12, 20:49
it's the best reciever yer ever had.Until you get the Ultimo. :D

Conaxthewarrior
21-09-12, 16:02
Until you get the Ultimo. :D

Yeah ok point taken but I aint got one so dont no!!

marty
22-09-12, 09:09
Best box I've ever had :) never liked a box this much since I owned an MSS 500 years ago ;)

Ev0
22-09-12, 11:44
Best box I've ever had :) never liked a box this much since I owned an MSS 500 years ago ;)

A mate had the mss1000 was very jealous at the time lol

satmanbasil
22-09-12, 17:34
Hi

Think i have had every box you can think of including the dreams but nothing so far has beaten these receivers its almost as simple as plug and play hardly have to do anything with it expect upgrade when they come along, I can recall spending hours on the older receivers i had getting them to work and clear channels. Saving my pennies for the next versions due anytime soon.