PDA

View Full Version : changing hard drive?

micks_address
29-03-12, 19:08
Hi folks,

i want have a spare 5400 rpm disk that im going to put in my Duo, it currently has a 7200 rpm drive and the noise annoys me from time to time. Is it a simple case of powering down and taking out the old drive, replacing with the new, powering up and initialising?

Cheers,
Mick

Larry-G
29-03-12, 19:54
yes pretty much. just make sure that the drive you put in has no active partitions and format it to FAT32 and you should be ok.

micks_address
29-03-12, 21:22
actually its coming out of a sky hd box - so should i attach it to my pc first and format as fat 32?

Larry-G
29-03-12, 21:32
yes that would be best.

judge
29-03-12, 21:36
actually its coming out of a sky hd box - so should i attach it to my pc first and format as fat 32?

I did this a few weeks ago, straight out of the SKY box & into a DUO running latest VIX, build 2.0.4.
When the box booted, just initialized it in VIX & no issues since.

The hardest bit was removing it from the SKY box, those guys don't like you messing around & opening their boxes...

JimboM
29-03-12, 22:56
I did a smiilar thing with mine recently - did have an issue at first though. Not sure if it's because the disk was completely full or because the Sky box write protects the HDD but it wouldn't work when I installed it. Whipped it back out, hooked it up to the PC and removed the write protection, then formatted it (took about 2 hrs !!) and reinstalled in the Duo and it worked a charm

Stanman
30-03-12, 12:04
I did a smiilar thing with mine recently - did have an issue at first though. Not sure if it's because the disk was completely full or because the Sky box write protects the HDD but it wouldn't work when I installed it. Whipped it back out, hooked it up to the PC and removed the write protection, then formatted it (took about 2 hrs !!) and reinstalled in the Duo and it worked a charm

Not sure why that was but I have formatted 3 SKU Seagate HD Pipline drives and they all formatted in the box fine.