PDA

View Full Version : Viewing media from Linux server using VLC

psitech
28-03-12, 23:36
I have just started to set up my Linux server to provide media to my VU+ Duo. The Linux VLC end is working locally well and I have enabled the web interface.

I downloaded the VLC client on the VU+, but when I try to configure it it crashes the system when I click the save button.

Anyone successfully done this who could give me some pointers.

Using recent Vix image as of 2 weeks ago.

Larry-G
28-03-12, 23:42
you can map the drive that contains your recordings / media files directly to the Duo without any need for VLC.

menu> setup> system> Network> device setup > network mounts ? ( that bit is off the top of my head as i'm at work and not near my receiver to check ).

psitech
29-03-12, 00:03
I suspect it may not work for all my media as I have stuff from many different sources including home movies in Quicktime, AVCHD, H.264, DivX and recordings from other devices such as Humax, EyeTV (Terrestrial and Satellite) and downloads to name a few. I will try out some of these in the morning via a net mount.

I have rarely found a media file that VLC would not play, which is why when I saw this was an optional plugin, it seemed a good idea.

Larry-G
29-03-12, 00:07
The Duo and all receivers for that matter are limited by their hardware as to what they can support and play back. Vlc will not change that.

psitech
29-03-12, 00:14
Thanks for your help. I guess I will find out in the morning. My understanding is that it is acting as a kind of middleware using the VLC plugin connected to a a VLC server it would play anything that the server can handle.

Larry-G
29-03-12, 00:21
i may be wrong and if i am no doubt some one will correct me but that's not how it works to my understanding.

psitech
29-03-12, 12:43
I have set up network share. It wasn't visible in the locations list initially and enigma2 crashed when looking for it. After this it was visible! Looked like it just needed a reboot.

Many files play OK. Stuff from EyeTV is OK as are DivX and mp4. However, the huge amount of stuff (.ts files) I have from my Humax FoxSat doesn't play. I may have to convert a TB of files to H.264 via Handbrake!

jazz5000
02-06-12, 14:43
Thanks also tried this.

Im using windows 7
But its asking for user name and pw.
Which i have not set. Iv just setup homegroup

Is this still the right way of doing it?
Want to access movies etc on pc hdd and view on Vu+