PDA

View Full Version : FTP access issue

TomD
25-03-12, 10:16
Hi
I have been assured from my supplier that I have the correct username and password yet I cannot get into my box. Interestingly I can connect to my box by the ip address, but appreciate this does not support FTP.
I have ensured that the relevant ports are open so it's not a firewall issue, but still cannot get in via FTP in db edit or total commander etc. Is there a way to reset the password direct on the box?
Thanks
Tom

Foxylady
25-03-12, 10:36
Download Putty.
Once you got it, start it and a box opens, in HOST NAME type your ip of the box.
Then in CONNECTION TYPE, select TELNET.
Then click on OPEN.
A black box will open now and will say vix 2.3 etc, this is your box.
type in ROOT and press ENTER
Now type in PASSWD where it says password then press enter.
It will now say CHANGING PASSWORD FOR ROOT.
In new password type your chosen password.
(Please note so not to confuse you, as you type the green outlined box WILL NOT move, just make sure you type your pass in slowly).
Press enter when password put in, which it will now ask you to RETYPE PASSWORD.
Dothe same pass you chosen again, then press enter.
You will get a confirmation PASSWORD FOR ROOT CHANGED BY ROOT.
That's it, you can close off putty and your box is now password protected :thumbsup:

TomD
25-03-12, 10:39
Thanks, will let you know how I get on.

TomD
25-03-12, 11:03
Hi
Unfortunately there is a compatibility issue with win7 64bit, it keeps crashing. I have googled and right clicked to troubleshoot compatibility but it still crashes?

Larry-G
25-03-12, 11:11
You can use the inbuilt windows telnet client with windows7 64 bit as thats what i my self use rather than a third party plugin such as putty.

How to enable the default Telnet client in Windows 7 - Click Here (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?12558-Tutorial-How-to-enable-the-default-Telnet-client-in-Windows-7)

TomD
25-03-12, 11:41
You can use the inbuilt windows telnet client with windows7 64 bit as thats what i my self use rather than a third party plugin such as putty.

How to enable the default Telnet client in Windows 7 - Click Here (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?12558-Tutorial-How-to-enable-the-default-Telnet-client-in-Windows-7)
Hi
Tried that, but 'could not open connection to host, on port23. connect failed. Again I can connect via ip using the issued username and password?

Foxylady
25-03-12, 12:01
I am running Win7 x64 and never a problem.
I have pm'd you

Larry-G
25-03-12, 12:17
Again I can connect via ip using the issued username and password?

The boxes / images do not come with a preset password, so what do you mean by issued password ?.

Stanman
25-03-12, 13:50
Hi
Unfortunately there is a compatibility issue with win7 64bit, it keeps crashing. I have googled and right clicked to troubleshoot compatibility but it still crashes?
You sure, using putty .60 here on WIN7 HP 64bit.

Stanman
25-03-12, 13:51
Hi
Tried that, but 'could not open connection to host, on port23. connect failed. Again I can connect via ip using the issued username and password?

Were you able to telnet in via windows?
Open a CMD window and type telnet box ip - what message is it your getting?

TomD
25-03-12, 14:20
Hi Stanman
Its as post 6 and the coppied dialogue box. It says unable to connect to host on port 23

Just thinking is it possible that there are two password systems, one to access the box via the ip address (which works ok) and another to access via ftp?I ask this as when I was trying to connect with dream edit, it said connected ok, but didnt like the username /password. The same ones as when I connect to the box at the ip address!
Thanks
Tom

Braggster
25-03-12, 15:10
Hi i had the same issue a while back but found out it was my antivirus AVG was not letting me in i had to disable whilst ftp`ing to box so possibly you could try that?