PDA

View Full Version : No services from optus 1

johnspeedster
21-03-12, 07:54
Having bought my Vu Duo in London and setting it up there, I am now back in New Zealand and can't get it set up. I am using a 65 cm Sky dish with a dual throat, single output LNB which works fine with my old set top box. I just moved the F connector to the Duo, plugged in the HDMI leads etc and the VIX screen appeared on my nice new Panasonic 42VT. Using the wizard to set up I have tried everything I can think of, but mostly setting tuner A to simple, single satellite (Optus 1), and then tuner B to either loop to A or not configured. Tried both manual and auto scans but always 0 services. Now, SNR was reading high - 90% and AGC also high ( 80 - 99% ) EBR =0. Next moment, SNR = 0, then flashed to 80 - 90 a few times, then sits on 0. I have reconnected the old set top box and all works well so think the connections are ok. I was using a booster in line with the old box so have tried with and without that. The Duo is on line and I updated software first up. Also re-flashed from stick the original VIX. Whilst by no means an electronics expert, I thought I was reasonably well clued up, but this has me beat. I'm sure it is just a simple fix???? Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks, John

Larry-G
21-03-12, 08:54
update your satellites.xml file to contain the satellites you wish to receive.

http://satellites-xml.eu/

johnspeedster
21-03-12, 11:33
Excellent thanks - but please can you walk me through the process. I have downloaded and selected Optus 1. Do I save or run that before I send to flash drive? Then to install, insert drive, turn box on and it installs and updates automatically? Sorry, I have not been able to find an explanation of these basic steps.

Maxwell
21-03-12, 11:43
Silverfox has a tutorial here on how to update http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?3836-How-to-update-channels-on-DUO-SOLO-using-DBEdit-the-easy-way, The relevant part for you at the moment is right at the beginning

johnspeedster
22-03-12, 10:11
Thanks Maxwell, I have studied that link, but the two sentences

"So first is the easy part.
Go and get an updated version of satellites.xml and place it in var/etc via FTP to the box."

are not necessarily easy. No explanation.... BTW, I am running ubuntu on my laptop. Anyway, yes, I downloaded the satellite info and checked the Optus 1 satellite. I have saved both the .xml doc and the expanded text file to the drive and flashed that to the box. I have done an on-line update and re-installed VIX. Have tried both manual and auto scans to no avail. How can I check that it has arrived in the correct place? Another thing that may impinge on this.... yesterday when I went to Information:Devices:Service.... and clicked on either of these, I had a crash. Today, Devices works and only Service crashes. Progress! In the log file, at the end it states that in line 124 (.....ServiceInformation.py) numbers should be integers not NoneType. Is this significant? Still not a happy chappy!
Forgot to say I had done several factory resets earlier when I first started trying to set up.

johnspeedster
23-03-12, 09:29
Trying a new attack now. I have set up Filezilla and connected to the box. Following Silverfox's tutorial, I have located etc and the satellite file location however I get an error message when I drop the satellites.xml file. Also, var does not have a satellite file??? Where am I going wrong here? Thanks again....

Maxwell
23-03-12, 09:48
What error do you get ? You may need to change the file permissions for the etc folder - right click it in filezilla and see what the permissions are and make sure it is write enabled,
Ignore the reference to var

johnspeedster
23-03-12, 11:43
Thanks. Was getting Critical File Error, but now seems to say transfer has taken place. In etc however, date of last modification still showing 25-12-11. Can that be right? Sorry, yes, was write enabled.

Maxwell
23-03-12, 12:05
thats the date the symbolic link was created, check in etc/tuxbox that your satellites.xml file is there and has the correct datestamp

johnspeedster
23-03-12, 12:23
Further to last post.
I have tried scanning again but to no avail still. Can you please confirm how I have treated that satellite file. Went to the address given above, choose optus 1, downloaded, and used that file - satellites.xml. I did not run or open the file. Thanks.

johnspeedster
24-03-12, 08:44
Hi Everyone. Have spent 8 hours today trying various options and reading even more threads! Lots of great information to take on board. Thought I should have given some more background information: Kernel 3.1.1, Drivers 18-1-12, Image 2.3, Build 204, Last update 27-1-12. Like many others I did an on line update... Being new to the Vu+ I hadn't realised the significance of the "Loading..." staying on screen all the time. Yes, have successfully got satellites.xml in tuxbox as shown when in Tuner Setup, only Optus 1 is present. Have tried adding one to frequency settings. Have tried changing to tuner B and setting it up with Tuner one not configured. Occasionally SNR pops up to 90% but usually 0. AGC usually sits on 99%. Tried with and without in line amplifier (only about 8 - 10 m of cable from dish to set). When I check Information, Devices are fine, but Service causes a crash. Made a screen dump/grab using Wbif but where are they stored? Also could not e-mail to the address stated - bounced back. Time now to change the cable back to my old set top box to watch some TV on the old (20years) telly before my wife takes $NZ800 out of my hide! Atleast the HDD works as I can view movies saved, and the new Bluray 3D is fantastic. Wondering whether I should hop up on the roof and tweak the dish, or put a new LNB on (I bought a dual with twin outlets but too scared to put that in yet!)

Maxwell
24-03-12, 09:11
Hi John,
Lets go back to the beginning here so with that in mind can you answer these questions:

1. Exactly what type of LNB do you have on your dish at the moment.
2. Are you trying to look at Optus C1 or Optus D1 (they are at different orbital positions so it matters)
3. Which port of the vu is the LNB connected to.
4. Can you post your tuner settings for both the A + B tuners
5. If you only have 8-10m of cable between dish and vu why do you need a signal amplifier.
6. Are you sure its an amplifier and not an attenuator.
7. The new twin LNB you have did you buy it at the same time as the vu and in the UK, if so make and model please ?

johnspeedster
24-03-12, 20:38
Cool thanks Maxwell4321.
1. The LNB is a Sharp Ku-LNBF BS1D1AQ112A. As I understand it, it is a dual throat LNB but with only one F type output. I believe this should mean I can receive signals on both vertical and horizontal planes depending on different frequencies- but not record both at the same time.
2. Am specifically looking at Optus D1 at 160.0 E on a 65 cm dish as this is what was originally set up for me by a Sky technician. Again from my limited knowledge, Optus C1 is at 156 E but at 4 degrees separation may just sneak in?? Not to worry about at this point! A twin cable was installed with only one of the pair with F type connectors at each end.
3. Mostly I had connected to port A, but did try on Port B. I suspect Port A is the one sending a voltage back to the LNB but wasn't sure if I configured Port B would that also send voltage back??
4.Tuner A: Simple, Single, Optus D1 160.0E, no Tuner B: Not configured. I have tried with Tuner B looped through to A .
5. I was advised to do this when my original Satemate set top box was installed 5 - 6 years back. Not by a professional I might add!
6 . In-line amplifier SA-910LA, 950 - 2050 MHzGain 10dB, 15 vDC, 50 mA. I have tried both with and without this.
7. No, I bought this LNB back here in NZ. It is a Zenus Pro2 9000XR 10750 MHz LO. 0.2 dB noise high stability Ku band LNB. It is sold by, and recommended by the Freeview shop here in NZ. It has two F type connector outputs.

If someone would care to, I would be very happy to set up a Teamviewer session to get some proper advice. I do appreciate your respective inputs.

Huevos
24-03-12, 22:14
The problem is the LNB. The simple config is for a universal LNB (with L.O. 9750/10600 MHz). You need to get yourself a universal LNB if you are going to get any serious use out of the receiver. But for the time being you can set it up with your current LNB as follows.

Tuner A:
config mode: advanced
LNB: 1
Priority: auto
LOF: user defined
LOF/L: 10750
LOF/H: 10750
Threshold: 11700
Voltage: polarisation
Tone mode: off
DiSEqC mode: none

Tuner B: Loop

johnspeedster
25-03-12, 00:24
What a champion!!!!
86 channels!!! Mostly rubbish but everything I expected plus several Aussie ones as a bonus. Thankyou so much everyone.
Now to sort out bouquets, channel changing and editing. This box is so powerful..... Hopefully all the wonderful threads and information will guide me ahead, but I may be back.
Relief! The wife will talk to me again..... Hmmmm.

Larry-G
25-03-12, 05:40
Relief! The wife will talk to me again..... Hmmmm.

LOL. chuffed your now running but some may consider that bit as a own goal lol.