PDA

View Full Version : Duo as media player

JimboM
20-03-12, 22:27
Hi all

From doing a bit of reading I get the impression that I should be able to use my Duo as a media centre. Would this enable me to watch movie files (avi, mpg etc) that are stored on my PC hard drive ? If so how do I set this up.

Thanks

Jim

Stanman
20-03-12, 22:35
Ye you can, not at my PC at the moment, bht if you do a search there is atutorial by a Maxwell

Larry-G
20-03-12, 22:56
Yes you can use the Duo as a media player although it is worth remembering that it is first and foremost a satellite receiver and as such any media player functions should be considered as a bonus and not a guarantee.

JimboM
20-03-12, 23:17
Thanks guys, done a search but can't find any instructions/tutorials that I can understand !!

I'm running Vix 2.3 and the PC has Windows 7 64bit. I've got various shares on the PC which can be seen by my Wii, Xbox and Media Player (all in other rooms to the Duo) but I can't seem to get the Duo to see anything on the network. When I go inot network browser it either can't find any devices or hangs the box!

If anyone does know of an idiots guide or can give me a few pointers how to set this up then please share :thumbsup:

Thanks

Jim

micscave
21-03-12, 01:01
Hey JimboM
Follow this link http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?15512-change-vuduo-network-name and read post 4. This worked for me after failing to get it working for nearly two years.

hope this helps
micscave

gedclarke
21-03-12, 01:19
Hello Jimbo, I just ftp my movies into the movie folder on my internal harddrive (/hdd/movie/) then just play as i would a recording. Works great for me and has played every file I've tried. Works better than my Tvix media player.

I have thousands of films so I have put them in their own directories inside movies eg /hdd/movie/kids. Even the Mrs and the kids find it easy to use.

Hope this helps:)

Edit: Sorry mate never read full post didn't realise you wanted to set up as a media centre not media player........apoligies.

Maxwell
21-03-12, 09:27
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?15974-How-To-Setting-up-Windows-Network-Share&p=116401#post116401

JimboM
21-03-12, 21:07
Guys

Thanks for all the help, I've followed Maxwells instructions and created the mountpoint but not sure what I need to do after that :o

I know it sounds stupid but I'm not sure if I can see the shared drive, where do I find this on the Vu and how would I play any files that were there ? Sorry for the silly questions but this is all new to me

Cheers

Jim

Maxwell
21-03-12, 21:42
media player filelist button next to the menu button then yellow for locations, select the location that is your share and you should see a list of files at the share location

JimboM
21-03-12, 22:33
Top man Maxwell got it all sorted and files play a treat

Cheers

Jim