PDA

View Full Version : HDD initialization Error

JimboM
19-03-12, 19:16
I'm trying to install a HDD into my Duo and it's not going too well :(

From the off can I say that this is a Maxtor IDE drive and I'm using a IDE/SATA convertor so may be flogging a dead horse but I have seen other posts where people of got these things to work

The box recognises that a HDD is fitted but when I try to initalise the disc nothing appears to happen and if I then exit back out to the main Vix screen there is an error log the first few lines of which are

Initializing storage device
Error:[Failure instance:Traceback:<type 'exceptions.IOError'>:[Errno 5]
Input/output error
/usr/lib/python2.6/threading.py.504__bootstrap

(is there anyway I can cut and paste this log here ?)

I'm guessing this is because of the setup I explained above but thought I'd ask anyway just to make sure

Cheers

Jim
ps using the Vix 2.3 image

wullboy
19-03-12, 20:12
Should you not be mounting it first, then go and initialize it, ??

Stanman
19-03-12, 20:48
How is it formatted at the moment?

You could try backing up your settings and installing the OI and formatted that way and than reinstall VIX.

JimboM
20-03-12, 09:05
OK think I've sussed this one. Whipped the HDD out, connected it up to my PC and realised that the drive was completely full and had 'Write Protect' enabled (drive had previously been used in my Sky+ box which must have done this) Managed to switch the write protect off and then formated the disk as FAT32 - took 2.5 hrs !!

Stuck the HDD back into the Duo and things looked better but now got a timeout error when trying to initialise, switched the jumpers from master to cable select (CS) and it now looks like it's working as it should or at least I think it is!

Cheers

Jim

Sicilian
20-03-12, 12:38
Once initialized check that it mounted to /media/hdd in mount manager. Blue button > VIX > Mount manager.

If you initialize again you can view the progress by pressing blue button > select the progress and press ok ;)