PDA

View Full Version : VIX 3.1.1 Vs Blackhole 1.7.2 Comparison

mrmad1966
15-03-12, 19:02
Folks, Newbie here just wondering if anyone can tell me whats different about each one or point me to a place to find out !
Currently running VIX's latest 3.1.1 build 204 but had a few crashes. Like the look of the Blackhole but would like some opinions before I take the plunge !
Thank You

Donnie
15-03-12, 19:38
Black hole images are based on the original VU images and VIX are loosely based on openpli ( I say loosely as its much better than openpli ) :D

Really you need to try for yourself and make your own mind up.

mrmad1966
15-03-12, 19:44
Black hole images are based on the original VU images and VIX are loosely based on openpli ( I say loosely as its much better than openpli ) :D

Really you need to try for yourself and make your own mind up.
Do you find BlackHole to be stable ????

Sicilian
15-03-12, 19:47
As Donnie said, you really need to try for yourself and make your own mind up.

Donnie
15-03-12, 19:51
Do you find BlackHole to be stable ????

Yes but VIX is also stable, 99% of crashes are user induced, eg bad configuration, bad plugins and USB or HDD corruptions.

Neither team will knowingly release a bad image.

mrmad1966
15-03-12, 19:52
As Donnie said, you really need to try for yourself and make your own mind up.

I understand that m8 & i will, but just trying to find other experiences that people have found..

Sicilian
15-03-12, 19:53
I understand that m8 & i will, but just trying to find other experiences that people have found..

What suits other users might not suit you and your setup ;) Try for yourself is the only way to decide either way :)

Ev0
15-03-12, 20:15
As said the only way you will know which is best for you and your needs, is to try them both.

Larry-G
15-03-12, 20:51
The best thing for you to do would be to make a full set of backups.

blue button > ViX > image manager / backup manager. this way you can try other images and if you do choose you can reflash back to your current setup in minutes.

mcquaim
15-03-12, 22:05
I tried to carry out an image backup this evening and I got a system error for some unknown reason and then my Vix must have gotten corrupt or something because the Duo just wouldn't restart..

I decided to flash Blackhole to see if it had progressed any from when I last used it a few years back. Lets just say I'm now flashing Vix again, BH is just not my cuppa tea :fart2:

stick50jr
16-03-12, 00:55

I have tried a few images with the latest kernel... blackhole appears to have better support for usb devices (I have a dual terrestrial tuner) through its media tree but ultimately I concluded that stability was not perfect and I missed the many features of Vix. I find that the Vix image is much quicker to respond and I prefer the flexibility provided by all the epg options. The support for usb tuners (you really only need support for the one that you've got) has been improved recently and I suspect in coming images will improve further.

If you can't be bothered playing much, just use Vix. Otherwise try them all, and then you'll probably end up with Vix and you'll appreciate much more just how good it is.

cheers

judge
16-03-12, 01:00
Would have to agree with stick50jr, I've tried most on & off for 2 years now & always go back to VIX.
The look & feel as well as ease of use of VIX is outstanding.
The team here do an amazing job.
Other than that, I've yet to see an image that does a better integrated EPG than VIX, fantastic work from Andy & others.

ringo
16-03-12, 06:09
I tried to carry out an image backup this evening and I got a system error for some unknown reason and then my Vix must have gotten corrupt or something because the Duo just wouldn't restart..

I decided to flash Blackhole to see if it had progressed any from when I last used it a few years back. Lets just say I'm now flashing Vix again, BH is just not my cuppa tea :fart2:

I am on the Blackhole image right now due to the lack of autocam in the VIX image. In every other way I really prefere the Vix image and
wishing that there will be a autocam implemented in Vix.

acco
16-03-12, 16:50
If I'm honest Vix is my preferred image, don't quite understand why the latest version has given me random crashes (duo). I'm testing out BH 1.7.2 at the moment and she is giving me the thumbs up after only having the image installed 3 days. I'll hold out but I'm sure I'll be back Vix.

mmattys30
17-03-12, 20:00
Blackhole all the way for me

nady ali
22-03-12, 01:10
thankssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

skater
22-03-12, 08:41
Hi All,

I have recently gone back to BH after the new kernel VIX caused random restarts, (no crash logs were generated).
It got to the point where she wanted an old freeview box back!!!!
The BH epg is not nearly as slick, Cool Epg was required and lots of configuring of skins etc to get picons working,
BUT, I have not lost my usb mounts, my nanostick just works, no additional plugin needed, I have not needed to re-initialize my HDD, which has loads of data on it, to be able to change channel while recording, so a far better result for me, not a single restart or problem.
Andy and the devs do fantastic work and I can`t wait for the new release, but for now I have to use BH.

Dell_XPS
22-03-12, 13:01
Had BH installed for 10 mins, yes 10 mins, what a heap, much better wih Vix, easy menu's etc, easy to set up, it's just easier to use IMHO, (use Vix on my Duo & Ultimo)

XRD
22-03-12, 22:41
If you want to change image, is it simply a case of flashing an image over the top? Say for example I have BlackHole 1.7.2 installed, would I simply put the latest ViX image on my USB, switch off the Duo, plug in USB, switch on and that would be it?

Stanman
22-03-12, 22:42
If you want to change image, is it simply a case of flashing an image over the top? Say for example I have BlackHole 1.7.2 installed, would I simply put the latest ViX image on my USB, switch off the Duo, plug in USB, switch on and that would be it?

Yes it is but it will overwrite EVERYTHING bar your recording and other stuff on HDD/USB so always back up your settings first.

Larry-G
22-03-12, 22:43
yes the flashing process erases the old image first then flashes the new one. you can make a full backup first so you can return to that setup later if you want to.

XRD
22-03-12, 23:33
Thanks guys, I can just use the backup manager for all my settings then I guess.