PDA

View Full Version : how can you set Vu Ultimo to show SNR In db

sasho
12-03-12, 14:30
how can you set Vu Ultimo to show SNR In dB
how can you set It to read BER

Rob van der Does
12-03-12, 17:34
None of the VU-boxes can display the SNR in dB; the drivers don't support that (complain directly to VU+ to get future support?).
BER should be displayed, but is normally zero. In the skin Magic-HD the Second Info Bar shows AGC, SNR & BER.

sasho
12-03-12, 18:52
If BER Is always 0 - It does not work

Rob van der Does
12-03-12, 21:09
If BER Is always 0 - It does not work
If BER is not 0, you have no picture.

digi247
12-03-12, 21:17
If BER is not 0, you have no picture.

Thats not entirely correct you can have some BER and still have a picture but it wont be very good, As you say Ideally it should read '0'

Rob van der Does
12-03-12, 21:20
And I only have good pictures, so BER would be 0 :eek:

But seriously: I also wondered why the reading is always 0, also when not being locked. This applies to my VU as well as to my ET boxes.

digi247
12-03-12, 21:28
To be honest Rob i have only ever seen the BER margin move on a Technomate receiver and this was on a very weak transponder, It was barely pulling it in and the picture near to breaking up every few seconds. I am also the same i have yet to see the BER reading flinch on an Enigma 2 receiver even when i do get picture breakup. could be a driver issue

sasho
13-03-12, 10:34
on dreambox you have SNR In dB and also BER

looks like there are problems with Enigma

Rob van der Does
13-03-12, 12:23
on dreambox you have SNR In dB and also BER
looks like there are problems with Enigma
No, this has nothing to do with E2; the drivers must support those functions.
The ET drivers don't support AGC read-out at all, but can switch between % & dB for SNR; the VU's have a AGC-readingm but no SNR in dB.

Trial
13-03-12, 12:44
Hi,
I think it is a fake reading on Dreamboxes because it started with a simple calculation to get dB out of %.

ciao

Rob van der Does
13-03-12, 12:47
Possibly. In the end the units are not important at all, as no tuner can be used as a calibrated meter. For comparison between transponders and for dish alignment this is quite sufficient.

stick50jr
13-03-12, 15:27
And I only have good pictures, so BER would be 0 :eek:

But seriously: I also wondered why the reading is always 0, also when not being locked. This applies to my VU as well as to my ET boxes.

I have a Vu+Duo and usually I have BER of zero. However, on the satellite tuners during a gradual increase in rain density, I notice the AGC and SNR reduce until I get occasional Bit Errors (ie BER > 0) which can cause some 'pixellation' of the picture. If the rain storm continues to increase (to tropical down pour level ie solid water) then the BER increases and the it loses lock and the picture freezes or is lost.

All of this seems to indicate that AGC, SNR and BER indications work properly (albiet as an indication rather than as a 'measurement').

I'm using Vix 2.3 build 204 (the best image by far) and using your Magic-HD skin (the best skin around). Using two dishes switching between Optus C1/D3 (56 degrees) and Optus D1 (60 degrees) and a usb dvb-t dual tuner for local terrestrial signals. I'm not sure whether the AGC and SNR are quite the same for satellite and terrestrial... different devices, different drivers. The terrestrial signal indications seem to react but are a little less indicative than the satellite ones... maybe my terrestrial signals are too good.

cheers

Rob van der Does
13-03-12, 16:23
OK, so if you do (locationally) see a BER > 0 the read-out apparently does work. Never seen that myself.

Ev0
13-03-12, 16:40
OK, so if you do (locationally) see a BER > 0 the read-out apparently does work. Never seen that myself.

Can't say I have either.

But if it does work, it's nothing like it was on the dreambox's as they used to move alot even in light rain with a strong signal.

Rob van der Does
13-03-12, 16:45
But if it does work, it's nothing like it was on the dreambox's as they used to move alot even in light rain with a strong signal.
Hmm, that shouldn't be the case. If BER is anything but zero, you can have only a very disturbed picture, if any picture at all. And having a good (aligned) dish, that should not be the case (except for very heavy rain on a weak transponder).
Don't forget: a BER-read-out on a STB will always be the BER after correction and hence a very bad picture..

Ev0
13-03-12, 16:48
Hmm, that shouldn't be the case. If BER is anything but zero, you can have only a very disturbed picture, if any picture at all. And having a good (aligned) dish, that should not be the case (except for very heavy rain on a weak transponder).
Don't forget: a BER-read-out on a STB will always be the BER after correction and hence a very bad picture..

I can't test anymore as I don't have any dreambox's these days.

But both of my Dm7000 and DM800 the BER used to move alot, and I used to tweak my motorised dish using it knowing when it was on 0 it was getting the max signal. I used to find it very handy too for the weak sats (7°w for example) as I knew if the BER was under 2000 (from memory) the picture would be watchable.

Rob van der Does
13-03-12, 17:00
Well, that would indicate that those boxes present the BER before correction then.
Interesting, and indeed very useful for dish aligning.
Although still not calibrated, this would make very good meters out of a box!

sasho
13-03-12, 17:55
Hi,
I think it is a fake reading on Dreamboxes because it started with a simple calculation to get dB out of %.

ciao

Trial

by chance are your dreambox 7020HD

Larry-G
13-03-12, 18:05
I can't test anymore as I don't have any dreambox's these days.

But both of my Dm7000 and DM800 the BER used to move alot, and I used to tweak my motorised dish using it knowing when it was on 0 it was getting the max signal. I used to find it very handy too for the weak sats (7°w for example) as I knew if the BER was under 2000 (from memory) the picture would be watchable.

yeah i used to do the same with my DM7020 when setting the dish up.

Trial
13-03-12, 19:28
Hi,
I have no 7020HD. On the channels I watch I never had a BER reading with my 7020si. So in my opinion BER is no alternative for a good sat finder.

ciao

Larry-G
13-03-12, 19:40
Hi,
I have no 7020HD. On the channels I watch I never had a BER reading with my 7020si. So in my opinion BER is no alternative for a good sat finder.

ciao

Strange as i always did on my own DM7020si. oh well.

Rob van der Does
13-03-12, 20:14
Hi,
The BER before correction would certainly be a very useful part of a complete meter. BER after correction is useless.

Huevos
13-03-12, 21:39
I have a Vu+Duo and usually I have BER of zero.There is no BER readout on the Vu+ receivers. Even when the picture is severely pixelized the BER reading stays at zero.

TUT
15-03-12, 09:50
Excuse my ignorance, what are BER, AGC and SNR stand for and what are they useful for?

Thank you

digi247
15-03-12, 10:58
Excuse my ignorance, what are BER, AGC and SNR stand for and what are they useful for?

Thank you

BER : Bit Error Rate

AGC : Automatic Gain Control

SNR : Signal to Noise Ratio

TUT
15-03-12, 13:12
Thanks digi

Now what are their usefulness/function on a Satillite receivers ?

digi247
15-03-12, 14:20
Thanks digi

Now what are their usefulness/function on a Satillite receivers ?

Without waffling on here in depth about them wikpedia will give you more insight into each one

stick50jr
20-03-12, 05:01
Well, that would indicate that those boxes present the BER before correction then.
Interesting, and indeed very useful for dish aligning.
Although still not calibrated, this would make very good meters out of a box!

FYI here is a screen shot from down under:
This screenshot (using Openwebif on port 8088 and your Magic HD skin 2nd infobar) is from ABC1 in the Northern Territory (Alice Springs Australia). Tuner C is an Avermedia (a825) TwinStar usb dvb-t tuner stick (based on af9035). Sorry about the female eunuch if you're not a fan!

Of particular note... It shows that the terrestrial SNR, AGC and BER are being displayed successfully and it also shows lock and perfect picture despite a BER>0.

On this occasion the other channels had BER=0, only the ABC channel had these BIT ERRORs. The SNR and AGC is good and my assumption is that the errors are indicative of a problem with their equipment not my VuDuo:)

Thanks to Andyblac and all for applying the OpenPLi patches (from Ambrosa and Gennar1) that have fixed these readouts since build 204. Can't wait to see what is in the next release:eek:

Rob van der Does
29-03-12, 06:52
.....Of particular note... It shows that the terrestrial SNR, AGC and BER are being displayed successfully and it also shows lock and perfect picture despite a BER>0.....
So two conclusions then:

1- the drivers of that tuner obviously do allow for displaying the BER. The drivers for the VU+ boxes (so for there internal tuners) do not;

2- and even better: as the BER is considerable and you do have an undisturbed picture, the BER must be 'before correction'.

Thanks for this info!