PDA

View Full Version : Ultimo v Duo

gib72
12-03-12, 00:46
Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a new sat box and will probably go for the ultimo but was wondering if the ultimo can do more than the duo, apart from the extra tuner, I was thinking features really, with it having more flash and memory?

Any info would be great.

silverfox0786
12-03-12, 01:17
yes mate it has 1gb flash memory and faster CPU

features wise that image dependant and VIX is same ll round no matter what ViX compatible box you get

and you have optional vfd picons on ultimo

mmcmedia
12-03-12, 09:06
Heres my take on it tbh for the xtra cash if your not bothered about a triple tuner go for a duo , more than adequate for anyones needs imho

sasho
13-03-12, 10:44
has duo fast zapping chns then ultimo
I think ultimo Is very slow when zap channels

Sicilian
13-03-12, 11:02
Ultimo zaps fast here, no issues whatsoever with zapping.

Rob van der Does
13-03-12, 13:58
has duo fast zapping chns then ultimo
I think ultimo Is very slow when zap channels
I have no idea why you can say a thing like that. Apparently you have no experience with the Ultimo.

Dell_XPS
13-03-12, 14:48
Record even more channels, ok if on same transponder :-), Ultimo looks a lot nicer than the duo, display is a smart as fcuk :-)

silverfox0786
13-03-12, 14:49
to really test zapping speed the best test to do is on free to air channels as they dont need to wait for cards to clear the channel

plus make sure no picons are enabled or epg

then you will get a true zapping speed

Ev0
13-03-12, 17:30
I have both.

They are both great and whichever you choose you will be very happy with.

If you don't need 3 tuners, then just get the Duo, if you think the extra tuner will be useful then get the Ultimo.

In use there is little to choose between them, the Ultimo is faster (more memory, faster cpu etc), and it has that lovely front panel vfd display too which makes it worth the extra money imo and that is why I bought 1.

If you do plan to go with the Duo, then as suggested on the other site you asked this question on, you are better off waiting for the 2nd edition Duo to hit the shelves as it sounds like 1 of the best just got better.

silverfox0786
13-03-12, 17:48
If you do plan to go with the Duo, then as suggested on the other site you asked this question on, you are better off waiting for the 2nd edition Duo to hit the shelves as it sounds like 1 of the best just got better.

second edition?

not heard anything about a second edition and vu not made any announcements

Ev0
13-03-12, 17:49
second edition?

not heard anything about a second edition and vu not made any announcements

Only limted info, but supposed to be more powerful.

silverfox0786
13-03-12, 17:53
Only limted info, but supposed to be more powerful.

would love to see this information

as vu aint announced anything

Ev0
13-03-12, 17:56
would love to see this information

as vu aint announced anything

It was a post on the BH forum by 1 of the admin there.

Ev0
13-03-12, 18:00
There is also a thread on there from a member that says he read on another forum that there is a new duo coming, with pluggable tuners and better cpu.

So there must be some truth in it.

Larry-G
13-03-12, 18:09
sounds very nice if it is true and a Duo with swappable tuners would go down very nicely. personally i'm waiting for the release of the twin dvb-s2 tuners my self. i recon a uno with one of those installed would spell the end for the mighty duo. unless the duo also goes for swappable tuners of course.

Ev0
13-03-12, 18:11
sounds very nice if it is true and a Duo with swappable tuners would go down very nicely. personally i'm waiting for the release of the twin dvb-s2 tuners my self. i recon a uno with one of those installed would spell the end for the mighty duo. unless the duo also goes for swappable tuners of course.

Agreed it would be a nice upgrade thats for sure.

The twin dvb s2 tuners will be great, just a shame e2 / dvbapp2 has a limitation of only 4 tuners, as I think a 6 tuner ultimo would be awesome :D

Rob van der Does
13-03-12, 18:12
There has been a Special Edition (brushed aluminium), but only limited to 300pcs if I remember well.

Rob van der Does
13-03-12, 18:14
... just a shame e2 / dvbapp2 has a limitation of only 4 tuners...
That is not true: E2 has no build in limitation to the number of tuners.

Ev0
13-03-12, 18:17
That is not true: E2 has no build in limitation to the number of tuners.

Thats good news then, I was under the impression (not sure why now) that 4 tuners was the limit E2 could cope with.

If it can handle 6, and these twin dvb-s2 tuners are reasonably priced then I might have to invest in a couple :D

Larry-G
13-03-12, 18:19
Agreed it would be a nice upgrade thats for sure.

The twin dvb s2 tuners will be great, just a shame e2 / dvbapp2 has a limitation of only 4 tuners, as I think a 6 tuner ultimo would be awesome :D

Yeah i was always under the same assumption that E2 it self was limited to 4 tuners at any one time, however this was debunked by pli when asked about it, so i'm not sure what to think now LOL.

Ev0
13-03-12, 18:20
There has been a Special Edition (brushed aluminium), but only limited to 300pcs if I remember well.

You know all that was, was the Marusys MS850s that never went on sale (or if it did, it wasn't for long).

Rob van der Does
13-03-12, 18:21
I think most people (including myself) are/were mislead by the fact that skins present a maximum of 4 tuners in the infobar etc.
Time to change that then :thumbsup:

silverfox0786
13-03-12, 18:27
yes e2 can handle 16 lnbs

using advanced settings and dip switches on the disque switch

tryed it myself

Larry-G
13-03-12, 18:35

tryed it myself

lol were talking about tuner cards not LNB's mate.

Rob van der Does
13-03-12, 18:38
This is about tuners, not LNB's.
And E2 can handle 64 LNB's (see here (http://www.liddll.de/jgs_portal.php?id=53&sid=) for details), not tried myself :)

Ev0
13-03-12, 18:59
And E2 can handle 64 LNB's (see here (http://www.liddll.de/jgs_portal.php?id=53&sid=) for details), not tried myself :)

Wonder if WOS would give a good discount on 64 inverto blacks :D lol

silverfox0786
13-03-12, 19:18
lol were talking about tuner cards not LNB's mate.

ahh sorry guys got confused on topic

Wonder if WOS would give a good discount on 64 inverto blacks :D lol

if you ask nicely

Larry-G
13-03-12, 19:42
You know all that was, was the Marusys MS850s that never went on sale (or if it did, it wasn't for long).

lol their MS630s also looks rather like another Vu lol.

http://www.marusys.com/brochure_v.01/MS630S.pdf

Ev0
13-03-12, 19:47
lol their MS630s also looks rather like another Vu lol.

http://www.marusys.com/brochure_v.01/MS630S.pdf

Yeh sure does. but Marusys is the partent company of Vu+ ;)

Ev0
13-03-12, 19:52
What I don't understand about either box, is they were going to be sold as xmbc based box's, but neither seem to have made it to market.

And even now, there is no xbmc vu+ box, but if you do some in depth googling (other search engines are avaliable) they are basicly the Duo and Uno but with minor changes / updates.

Larry-G
13-03-12, 19:53
Yeh sure does. but Marusys is the partent company of Vu+ ;)

not sure but i would suspect that could be the case. They also had a very brief dabble in the American FTA receiver market under another name which i cant quite remember at the moment.

Ev0
13-03-12, 19:56
not sure but i would suspect that could be the case.

Check the Vu+ app on appstore (company Marusys), also when I won an amazon coupon with the Return the Love Event, I was notified via Marusys email addy.

sasho
13-03-12, 19:57
I have no idea why you can say a thing like that. Apparently you have no experience with the Ultimo.

I say what I see

for me ultimo Is very slow when changing channels with remote buttons not going through menu or pay chns

It Is important to what you compare and I compare to old dreambox db5620 with less cpu and RAM

apparently If you compare to Vu duo or ET9200 you will not notice

Huevos
16-03-12, 11:08
And E2 can handle 64 LNB's (see here (http://www.liddll.de/jgs_portal.php?id=53&sid=) for details), not tried myself :)Only 32 per tuner under E2, but they can be any of the 64 DiSEqC addresses.

And you all forgot to mention the Ultimo has blind scan. :D