PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo] blank screen

klunk
10-03-12, 17:39
Hi,
Restarted via box menu because screen went blank and stuck on starting for last hour!
I purchased from sponsors 9days ago so has latest vix image.
Im a noob no I would really appreciate some help in laymens terms.
I have been so pleased as I loaded CCcam ok and my CCcam.cfg and Picons and epg and been very pleased.
I have never loaded an image, Bouquet or channel list so some guidance would be appreciated.
I havnt tried anything as i dont want to brick it!!
Thanks in advance...

Klunk

judge
10-03-12, 17:49
Hi,
Restarted via box menu because screen went blank and stuck on starting for last hour!
I purchased from sponsors 9days ago so has latest vix image.
Im a noob no I would really appreciate some help in laymens terms.
I have been so pleased as I loaded CCcam ok and my CCcam.cfg and Picons and epg and been very pleased.
I have never loaded an image, Bouquet or channel list so some guidance would be appreciated.
I havnt tried anything as i dont want to brick it!!
Thanks in advance...

Klunk

Well, since you got it from the sponsor, we know it's a genuine box & genuine VUs are very hard to brick.
I'd just unplug the box for a few minutes, plug out any USB sticks you might have plugged in.
Plug it back in & wait for it to boot.

If that doesn't work, it might require a flash but I've never had VIX go bad on me like that.
So, just try that first & report back if it still doesn't boot, then someone can talk you through a flash, it's really easy so no need to worry there.

klunk
10-03-12, 17:59
thanks for the quick reply judge but i have tried that and still the same!
Just panicking a bit!!!

judge
10-03-12, 18:04
Which box is it? have you an internal hard drive in it?
when you say stuck at starting, what do you mean? do you see the starting logo on the TV?
If so, if you press up or down on the remote, does anything happen?
Can you FTP/telnet to the box?

klunk
10-03-12, 18:14
Its a vu+ duo. No i have an external hard drive which i have unplugged. Says starting on the front screen of box, left for at least hour, no change!
No the remote is unresponsive.
Unable to connect via FTP (FileZilla) dont know anything about telnet.

judge
10-03-12, 18:28
Its a vu+ duo. No i have an external hard drive which i have unplugged. Says starting on the front screen of box, left for at least hour, no change!
No the remote is unresponsive.
Unable to connect via FTP (FileZilla) dont know anything about telnet.

Not great so if you can't FTP. Do you have a back-up of your CCcam.cfg?

Maybe time to learn how to flash it, it really is simple & worth knowing.
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?3-How-to-flash-a-VU-Duo-using-a-USB-stick

BadBoy
10-03-12, 18:34
I have had this same issue many times, what you need to do is this

1. download the firmware and install it onto a usb
2. plug usb into front usb port
3. reboot the box

it will then load vix and not actually flash the firmware.

klunk
10-03-12, 18:37
Yes i think i have to start from scratch. Yes i can reload my CCcam.cfg when i get it up and running.
Do i have to install bootloader/kernal before installing latest Vix image? It did come with the latest image, i assume that the latest is 24.12.11
Thanks

Sicilian
10-03-12, 18:51
No need for bootloader, use latest image in this thread http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?14236-Vu-Duo-ViX-2-3-%28Linux-3-1-1%29-Image-Release-s vix2.3.204.

BadBoy
10-03-12, 19:23
No, it won't actually flash the image, but it somehow will alllow the box to boot into vix.

klunk
10-03-12, 19:36
OK i flashed the image from USB and it came up with menu of setting up tuners etc but at the end just had vix screen up saying loading for about 15mins. Turned off as i am going out now for the evening. Will have another go tomorrow.
Thanks to all for your advice. Hopefully sort it tomorrow!!!

judge
10-03-12, 19:42
OK i flashed the image from USB and it came up with menu of setting up tuners etc but at the end just had vix screen up saying loading for about 15mins. Turned off as i am going out now for the evening. Will have another go tomorrow.
Thanks to all for your advice. Hopefully sort it tomorrow!!!

That sounds good, you now need to upload your channel lists, cam & whatever else you need.

klunk
11-03-12, 17:45
Everything reloaded and all working OK!! Could't believe how easy it was!
Thanks for all your help.

Larry-G
11-03-12, 18:43
No, it won't actually flash the image, but it somehow will alllow the box to boot into vix.

are you certain your not just reflashing a backup image to your receiver because thats the exact procedure to reflash the box as i have done several hundred times.

BadBoy
11-03-12, 22:41
are you certain your not just reflashing a backup image to your receiver because thats the exact procedure to reflash the box as i have done several hundred times.

Nope, this has happened to me after a fresh flash, would just stick on starting.

paul083
22-03-12, 20:15
ok, i have the same problem, i tried to flash the memory, from the front panel usb, with ViX-2.3.153-vuduo_usb and the box stuck on starting. tried to reflash with the original files... erasing flash, programming, etc, the box is still not actually starting. what i'm missing here? this is my 1st time doing this, just upgraded from a smaller box. Finished, remove usb and reboot. Gonna try it, i'm kinda panicking here.

Maxwell
22-03-12, 20:19
ok, i have the same problem, i tried to flash the memory, from the front panel usb, with ViX-2.3.153-vuduo_usb and the box stuck on starting. tried to reflash with the original files... erasing flash, programming, etc, the box is still not actually starting. what i'm missing here? this is my 1st time doing this, just upgraded from a smaller box. Finished, remove usb and reboot. Gonna try it, i'm kinda panicking here.

Did you flash the new bootloader first ? If not, you will need to do it before flashing with Vix 2.3

Larry-G
22-03-12, 20:19

did you flash the bootloader to the receiver before the image ? as on the Duo you have to flash the bootloader first.

paul083
22-03-12, 20:23
that's a quick reply. Yes I did, this was the file. duo_cfe_3_0_usb
1. duo_cfe_3_0_usb
2. ViX-2.3.153-vuduo_usb
power off, from rear switch, unplug the AC cord, plug it back in, power on. Stuck on starting.

Telnet Connected
FTP Connected
FTP Disconnected

Its responding to FTP, the username are wrong, just using my old DM interface to test it.

BIG EDIT:
The 1st step was made from FROM FRONT USB PANEL. DOES IT MATTER?

Larry-G
22-03-12, 20:26
no it makes no difference which usb port you use to flash the receiver. i would try flashing the bootloader again as you cant damage the box by flashing over the bootloader in this way, then try loading the newest image version 2.3.204 or maybe try the latest official Vu 7.0 image.

Maxwell
22-03-12, 20:41
When you say stuck on starting do you mean on the front display or on the TV screen and are you sure your box is genuine and not a clone

paul083
22-03-12, 21:03
no luck. flashed again bootloader then again the image (ViX-2.3.GM-vuduo_usb)
can it be usb stick related problem?
my box is dead?
gonna try the official image.

EDIT:
@ max
starting on box front display.
no signal on tv, hdmi connection.
Well it better be genuine, nearly 500 euros spent on that box.

Larry-G
22-03-12, 21:06
it could be the USB stick yes, these boxes can be very temperamental with the sticks they use, also try loading the newest public image which is 2.3.204 not the GM image.

paul083
22-03-12, 21:12
i'm sorry but i can't find the 2.3.204 version, and yes i did used the search button.
going to change the usb stick.
your help is much appreciated!
thanx.

Larry-G
22-03-12, 21:15
its in the same release thread as the GM image post number 3 at the very bottom of the thread.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?14236-Vu-Duo-ViX-2-3-%28Linux-3-1-1%29-Image-Release-s

paul083
22-03-12, 21:28
i'm going to try the latest official image. if that won't work, i'm going to wait until tomorrow, i can't find another usb stick in the entire house. so flashing my box over and over again can't do any damage? true?

What are those .nfi files?
for vu+ duo what official image should I use?
vuplus-image-vuuno-20120203014857_usb.zip - can I use this one?

Larry-G
22-03-12, 22:02
no flashing the box multiple times wont hurt it, i have flashed my Vu receivers hundreds of times.
the .nfi file is the same image just intended for use in a different way to the normal USB method.

yes thats the image to use to use as quoted above.

paul083
22-03-12, 22:36
im sure the stick is a big issue in my problem. tomorrow im going to buy a new one, till then thx for your time.

Larry-G
22-03-12, 22:41
no worries, report back with how your getting on and we will help where possible.

paul083
23-03-12, 01:30
what have i learned tonight:
never use "no name" usb sticks larger than 2gb, when flashing vu+duo memory.
I just used my 1gb microsd from my old mobile phone and worked perfectly.
Thanks for your time and support, I'm glad i've figure it out.

Sicilian
23-03-12, 07:37
what have i learned tonight:
never use "no name" usb sticks larger than 2gb, when flashing vu+duo memory.
I just used my 1gb microsd from my old mobile phone and worked perfectly.
Thanks for your time and support, I'm glad i've figure it out.

To clarify, you used a Microsd is a USB adapter? As I've never tried that.

Larry-G
23-03-12, 10:13
To clarify, you used a Microsd is a USB adapter? As I've never tried that.

yeah they work fine, i have used one my self in the past

paul083
06-05-12, 13:45
microsd with usb adapter, 1gb space.