PDA

View Full Version : Vu+ Utimo Newbie looking for advice

Irish Bazza
09-03-12, 16:11
Having read this thread over the years, I have decided to take the plunge and purchase the new Vu+ Ultimo after the positive reviews. I am a newbie to the world of linux base satellite box, but I am looking forward to getting it set up, as I have a gadget head on me.

I have purchased the Ultimo with the two sat and one terrestrial tuner with a 2TB hardware built in. I would appreciate some advice on the best image, plug-in etc. My set up will be as follows:

Tuner 1 - Motor Dish
Tuner 2 - FTA channels at 28.2 East
Tuner 3 - Soarview

I would like to have a good reliable image/plugin EPG listings for both FTA, Motor (13 East for Canal+) and Soarview.

In addition, a plug-in if available for serial link recording would be a bonus for the hard drive recording ease of use.

Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dell_XPS
09-03-12, 18:23
Well this is a Vix Forum m8, so Vix image I would say, only every installed Vix on my Duo and Ultimo, has everything I need, the wife can work it, but it's up to you what you put on it at the end of the day, install a few images, see what you think of each one, personally I only ever install Vix on mine and anybody elses I've done.
HTH

Irish Bazza
10-03-12, 00:55
The Vix image the way to go.. Is there any nice plugin or will Vix cover it for my requirements as previously mention

Dell_XPS
10-03-12, 08:28
All in the Vix image, and epg is there in plugins from setup.

Larry-G
10-03-12, 08:52
There are a number of really decent bouquet packs / channel lists you can use, or modify to your needs depending on the satellites you wish to receive. as for the EPG you have 2 main options CrossEPG and Rytek. personally i would recommend CrossEPG with OpenTV setup for the sky uk channels as it download directly from the same source as sky them selves use ( a radio channel previously known as the hip hop channel ) and rytek for the others, however you must have a active internet connection to the receiver to download the rytek EPG sources.

If you can provide us with a little more information about your current setup and what you aim to achieve with it, we can tailor the advice we offer to suit your needs.

Irish Bazza
10-03-12, 15:25
To give you some more details to assist you on my set up requirements. I am looking at the FTA channels at 28E with a good Epg listing for easy recording. I will be using USAL for driving a motor, but mostly use 13E for the sports and movie channels. The Terrestrial will be used for Soarview here in Ireland similar to the UK Freeview. I don't have a Sky Sub and not planning too. User friendly that the wife can use too for recording. Her very own Sky+ that her friends keep telling her about!

Tropheus
10-03-12, 16:13
Are there vary many FTA sport and movie channels on 13E?

Irish Bazza
10-03-12, 17:51
Canal+ HD Sub on 13E

judge
10-03-12, 18:00
Are there vary many FTA sport and movie channels on 13E?

have a look at:

http://en.kingofsat.net/freqs.php?&pos=13E&standard=All&ordre=freq&filtre=Clear
Scroll down the page for ch listings.

Tropheus
10-03-12, 18:45
WOW thats a lot of channels......

What satellite has the most FTA movie channels is it 7E

Irish Bazza
15-03-12, 23:08
Where can I download the latest Vix image from the Vu+ forum for the Ultimo? If someone can give me the link.

bassethound
15-03-12, 23:10
Here you go :thumbsup:

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?14238-Vu-Ultimo-ViX-2-3-%28Linux-3-1-1%29-Image-Release-s

Irish Bazza
15-03-12, 23:36
Do I download and flash the latest Vix released of VIX 2.3.204 only or do I need to load VIX 2.3.153 first. Just set up the Vu+ Ultimo today and just learning.

Larry-G
15-03-12, 23:55
just use the latest version available.

Irish Bazza
16-03-12, 00:00
Thanks Pheonix

Irish Bazza
16-03-12, 16:19
I will be loading this evening the latest Vix image. Do I need to do any back up before I flash the image (channels, recorded tv programmes etc)? I am still learning

Stanman
16-03-12, 18:50
I will be loading this evening the latest Vix image. Do I need to do any back up before I flash the image (channels, recorded tv programmes etc)? I am still learning
Yes mate, if your doing a new flash back up your settings using blue button>VIX and backup manager, easy peasy to restore when you flash the new image.

Irish Bazza
18-03-12, 14:41
There is no image loaded on my new Ultimo. How do I access the file manager to back up my setting?

Stanman
18-03-12, 15:58
Have you loaded any personal settings since you bought the box from the shop, if not done flash with the new image and set it up as you like.

If you have what image is currently on the box?

Irish Bazza
18-03-12, 17:05
No, only set up tuners for satellite and Motor straight from box. Do I need to reset up tuners once flash with vix

Larry-G
18-03-12, 17:10
No, only set up tuners for satellite and Motor straight from box. Do I need to reset up tuners once flash with vix

when you flash any new image you need to set the tuners up every time unless your using a settings backup or a image backup that has already been setup to your liking.

think of it like this, when you flash the box it's the same as say reloading a new copy of windows on the pc, you still need to spend some time setting things up.

Irish Bazza
19-03-12, 12:35
I have the new Vix image files only loaded onto a USB stick. To flash, do I just switch of the Vu+, insert stick, switch on and download files?

Will I lose my tv recording on the internal drive, or they safe after flash?

Dell_XPS
19-03-12, 12:54
Stick usb in front, press the - on the ultimo display when told to do so on display, no you will not loss your recordings.

Irish Bazza
19-03-12, 16:32
I have copied the latest Vix unzipped file(shows as Vu+ Ultimo folder on usb stick) onto my my Lexar jump drive USB stick. I have inserted the USB stick into the front of the Ultimo and switched on from the button at the back. It not loading the Vix image, it goes to BBC 1 after boot up. The USB stick is formatted as fat. I am not sure what I am doing wrong, still learning?

arch_carrier
19-03-12, 16:50
Check the folder and files have been unzipped correctly. The folder you first see on your USB stick should be called vuplus. Then inside that there's one called ultimo. If that is okay and it still doesn't work then check you don't have another USB stick plugged in on the back for picons or something. Failing that try a different USB stick. It must be formatted and have no other files on it other than those you put on for the Vix image.

Sicilian
19-03-12, 17:18
Format the stick as FAT32 not FAT.

Irish Bazza
19-03-12, 17:58
I am using a second USB Flash Drive Fat32 formatted with no success with Ultimo Vix images files. Still going to BBC 1 after switch on and not loading Vix image. The USB Flash Drive has the blue light on, it is powered?

Larry-G
19-03-12, 18:43
To flash a Ultimo / Uno requires a element of user interaction. when you boot the receiver you should see a prompt on the VFD asking you to press the - button to start the flash process if you dont do this in time it will just boot as normal.

Irish Bazza
19-03-12, 21:05
Thanks Pheonix, the babysitting and pressing '-' has loaded the latest Vix image. Great news. Now setting up three tuners for channels. Will Vix give me what I need at present or is there any good plug-ins or boutique. For example 7 day EPG listings for recording to my hard drive, channel listings for 28E and also I have a Motor. I am interested to learn. Any advice would be welcome

Stanman
19-03-12, 21:09
For the time being the default image will suit you fine, once you find your feet, can experiment.

The 7 day EPG is in the image in the EPG section, you need to set up providers and download locations etc in settings and crossepg. For 28.2 I use opentv and it is faultless.

For the settings fixed 28.2E I find Silverfoxes the best but afraid no motor settings by him. What you can do is use one of the motor settings by other people - all in the settings forum.

You can also cut and past settings so can use Silverfoxes for 28.2 and the motor ones as well - this is what I do and use Vhannibals

Irish Bazza
20-03-12, 15:54
Got the 7 epg up and running for the channels which is great. For 28E what is the best channel guide. As all the channels are listed currently in alphabetical order.

Stanman
20-03-12, 16:11
Silverfoxes, link in my signature

Irish Bazza
20-03-12, 20:34
How do you access the Hard Drive for my recordings. it's not showing on the main vix menu.

Larry-G
20-03-12, 20:39
press the list button next to the menu button on the remote control.

Irish Bazza
20-03-12, 21:02
Thanks. Enjoying the Vix image to date and I appreciate all the help.

Larry-G
20-03-12, 21:13
I appreciate all the help.

no worries, That's what were here for.

Irish Bazza
21-03-12, 01:10
How do I display the "Vix EPG" guide image as per the link below

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?4339-VIX-Team-Vu-Duo-Image-v1-3-04-12-2010

Sicilian
21-03-12, 13:12
Press EPG, then menu button and you cant adjust the look of it.

Irish Bazza
21-03-12, 14:01
I am getting the epg with tv picture on the right now. How do get the icons logo for each channel. For example BBC HD, only showing as text.

Dell_XPS
21-03-12, 17:47
Installed Picons ?

Irish Bazza
21-03-12, 21:26
I have enabled picons in the EPG set up, but still showing text not channel logo.

Larry-G
21-03-12, 21:35
Do you actually have the picons them selves loaded onto the receiver ?

Irish Bazza
21-03-12, 21:36
I have enabled the picon in the EPG set up menu. Still showing text and not channel logos

Sandman
21-03-12, 21:39
I have enabled the picon in the EPG set up menu. Still showing text and not channel logos

As phoenix says IB, have you uploaded picons to the hard disk/usb/flash? (they need to be put in a 'picon' directory)

You're getting some great help here but you really should spend a bit of time reading up so you know how to fix things when they go wrong! Theres a wealth of resources here for setting up and installing picons ;)

Stanman
21-03-12, 22:56
I have enabled picons in the EPG set up, but still showing text not channel logo.
reduce the items per page to 5

Irish Bazza
24-03-12, 15:05
Does the Vix image give the option to record two programmes from the same transponder? Just tried it and it's showing black screen on the same transponder

Larry-G
24-03-12, 15:12
Does the Vix image give the option to record two programmes from the same transponder? Just tried it and it's showing black screen on the same transponder

assuming all 3 tuners have their own feeds from the lnb you can record 3 programmes from 3 different transponders or even 3 different satellites providing it's setup properly. you can even have 3 recordings from 3 transponders on sky uk and another 2 or 3 from the same transponders as well.

Irish Bazza
24-03-12, 18:25
Number of recordings works well on 28E. It's maybe a cam issue with recording on the same transponder on 13E for Cyra+. Would there be a work around. I have a cam with the card.

Larry-G
24-03-12, 18:54
if your using a hardware cam then thats the problem as ordinary cams allow for one channel to be decrypted at a time. you may need to try a softcam.

Irish Bazza
24-03-12, 19:20
Thanks will look at softcam solution

Irish Bazza
25-03-12, 10:42
I trying to set up auto timer for recording serie link type recordings using vix. In the auto timer menu I am looking at recording the tv programme "Click" when pressing the blue button to create a new Auto Timer under Wizard it's not showing the programme Click in the description or match title. I have description and match title showing click in the "Edit AutoTimer" menu. What I am doing wrong, or is there a better to set up for continuous serie link recording.

Irish Bazza
25-03-12, 12:56
Got it worked out. I have used the blue add AutoTimer button and through the EPG menu and the programme now appears in the timer section. Will the programme now automatically record on a weekly basis?

Stanman
25-03-12, 13:47
Yes, according to the parameters you selected.

Irish Bazza
29-03-12, 12:49
How do you manually change the PID of a transponder for a new scan. The transponder for Canal + Gol HD channel is showing an PID error and not clearing.

Irish Bazza
15-04-12, 15:37
I have scanned in the Canal + HD channels, all I am getting is the message "No data on transponder". The cam is working. The channel details are as followings:

H

Not sure whether is is a PID issue. These channel were ok on my last receiver. Any help would be welcome