PDA

View Full Version : [ET9x00] Any fix on its way for picture quality

garry1312
06-03-12, 22:54
Wondering if there is any fix on it's way yet for the picture quality on the ET9X00 image?

Compared to other images the ViX picture quality is extremely poor and HD is non existant.

Will ET9X00 owners see this resolved in the next update?

Thanks.

Stanman
06-03-12, 23:09
Have you got it sat up properly?

ET9K here on a 40 Sammy LCD and pic is good enough for what UK broaddies call HD:)

punisher
06-03-12, 23:42
I have no issue with my HD or SD picture quality, pretty perfect for me and ive not changed any settings. Only plugin i installed is auto resolution and even then i havent changed any of the settings

Larry-G
06-03-12, 23:49
all of the current images from all teams use the same hardware and hardware drivers so there is nothing in the image that can cause any difference in the picture quality. you can adjust some settings your self but thats down to the individual user and not really a problem for the image.

Sicilian
07-03-12, 06:11
Think you must need to go to spec savers! HD picture quality is on ET9x00 is as good as any other HD receiver available. So called other images all use the same drivers and openpli as a base. So I suggest you look at your setup instead of posting nonsense.

garry1312
07-03-12, 11:18
I think you will find that it is not nonsense look at two receivers one with ViX and one with CT image and you will automatically notice the difference. I am also not the only one who notices this problem.

Also I have plenty of other HD receivers and they win hands down with any image compared to the ViX ET9x00 image so maybe you should get your specs out rather than spouting cheek, the last I checked a forum was about helping others.

Also I am not stupid I know how to setup up my TV and receiver all my other E2 receivers have perfect PQ if I use another image on the Xtrend it is perfect.

I think I can safely say now that ViX have no idea what support is! and have no real interest in supporting the Xtrend receivers.

Rather than jumping on the defensive maybe it would be more wise to take feedback on board.

Also it had been agreed on that there was a PQ issue by a ViX team member on another forum and it may be resolved at a later date so now to say theres nothing wrong is laughable.

Sicilian
07-03-12, 11:37
I think you will find that it is not nonsense look at two receivers one with ViX and one with CT image and you will automatically notice the difference. I am also not the only one who notices this problem.

First report here unless I've missed something. They buth use same drivers and image base.

Also I have plenty of other HD receivers and they win hands down with any image compared to the ViX ET9x00 image so maybe you should get your specs out rather than spouting cheek, the last I checked a forum was about helping others.

Fine prove it, post some hi-res photos along with screenshots of settings from all images that show settings that affect picutre quality.

Also I am not stupid I know how to setup up my TV and receiver all my other E2 receivers have perfect PQ if I use another image on the Xtrend it is perfect.

Instead of posting nonsense look at the defualt settings that affect picuture quality, then you have a chance of finding your answer.

I think I can safely say now that ViX have no idea what support is! and have no real interest in supporting the Xtrend receivers. Rather than jumping on the defensive maybe it would be more wise to take feedback on board.

Biggest load of rubbish I've ever read on this forum! We spend countless hours going through many image builds and beta images, flashing, testing etc...then we're accused of not having interst in supporting Xtrend receivers!! Look at all the countless posts the we reply too and try to help with! Reading total rubbish like this makes me wonder why the hell we bother!

Also it had been agreed on that there was a PQ issue by a ViX team member on another forum and it may be resolved at a later date so now to say theres nothing wrong is laughable.

News to me!

garry1312
07-03-12, 12:35
Do you not think I have tried changing the settings?????? Do you think I just sit infront of my TV saying to myself 'ooh no I dont know what to do i'll just go pester the ViX team'. your deluded if you think that.

Yes you may provide new builds but anytime anyone has any negative feedback or criticism the team just on the defensive side and shoot them down.

This is not the only sat forum I am a member of and even if I never agreed with what someone said I would never speak to them the way you have spoken to me instead I would say that I didnt agree with them and provide some sort of help and suggestions.

This is not a forum it is a place to shoot anyone down that has anything negative to say about a ViX image.

I have highly praised the ViX for ET9x00 in every other way, i dont moan about the crashes like others and when people have said about the PQ I have said dont worry it will most likely be resolved at some point. A image that cant manage HD on a HD receiver is pointless. I have never had to arse about with picture settings on any other receiver/ image yet I have had to spend way to much time trying to resolve the lack of PQ on the ViX image.

Also a simple google search 'vix picture quality et...' brings up plenty of threads with concerns over the PQ, several even on here :O

I am out it is clear that I am not going to get any support from this forum. No doubt I will be shot down again and spoken to like a bit of dirt. What a friendly helpful place to be :)

Rob van der Does
07-03-12, 12:40
Then you will also know that picture quality of a receiver is ONLY driver dependant (apart from the scaler and other settings on the box and the TV that can be used to ruin a picture). And as all image-makers use the same drivers, a difference in picture quality between images is non existent.

What a friendly helpful place to be :)
Many, many forum members agree with you there :D

Sicilian
07-03-12, 12:55
Do you not think I have tried changing the settings?????? Do you think I just sit infront of my TV saying to myself 'ooh no I dont know what to do i'll just go pester the ViX team'. your deluded if you think that

Well post the setting thats you have compared between images.

Yes you may provide new builds but anytime anyone has any negative feedback or criticism the team just on the defensive side and shoot them down.

We take ALL criticism on board, but how do you expect us to fix your issue exactly? We use the same drivers and same base image as anyone else.

This is not the only sat forum I am a member of and even if I never agreed with what someone said I would never speak to them the way you have spoken to me instead I would say that I didnt agree with them and provide some sort of help and suggestions.

Yes maybe my reply was a bit harsh, but you come on here blaming VIX, its not VIX, there's proberbly a difference in default settings.

This is not a forum it is a place to shoot anyone down that has anything negative to say about a ViX image.

Rubbish, look through all the posts here and how much support we offers to our members and users. I constantly remind our the staff here to be nice to our members and they are, your post this morning I felt was harsh blaming VIX. As stated above ALL ET/CT image contain the same drivers and openpli base, so its most its a difference in the defualt settings.

I have highly praised the ViX for ET9x00 in every other way, i dont moan about the crashes like others and when people have said about the PQ I have said dont worry it will most likely be resolved at some point. A image that cant manage HD on a HD receiver is pointless. I have never had to arse about with picture settings on any other receiver/ image yet I have had to spend way to much time trying to resolve the lack of PQ on the ViX image.

Thank you for not moaning in the past but your the first member that has moaned here about HD PQ of the VIX image on the ET/CT range.

Also a simple google search 'vix picture quality et...' brings up plenty of threads with concerns over the PQ, several even on here :O

Googled but failed to find them, please feel free to post the links to these reports.

I am out it is clear that I am not going to get any support from this forum. No doubt I will be shot down again and spoken to like a bit of dirt. What a friendly helpful place to be :)

Very sorry you feel that way becuase I disagreed with you.

We're still more than happy for you to post high res photo's proving your claim :)

garry1312
07-03-12, 13:24
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/archive/index.php/t-14257.html

this one I have have spoken a lot with the author of the thread and he has the exact same issues he actually talked about selling his receiver not long after buying it until I adviced him to try another image:

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/archive/index.php/t-14796.html

I am sure you can check my WOS browsing and to say nothing came up on a google search you are full of crap, theres others confirming PQ is better on other images.

Have you even looked at the PQ against another image side on with 2 ET9200's. Is it not worth a try just incase those out there that are saying it is not right are correct?

As for telling all your staff to be nice it would be nice to see you take on board your own advice. You may have found my thread a bit harsh but rather than speak to me the way you have would it not have been better to say that it was harsh and that you disagree with me and offer some sort of suggestion? Personally I think that would have stopped a morning of bickering back and forward.

I have no means to take hi res pics my camera is on the back of my phone that says it all lol and I doubt screenshots will do justice.

As I have said I am very impressed with the ViX image in other ways if I could get the PQ to the standard I am used to on other images/ E2 receivers I would praise the image 110%

garry1312
07-03-12, 13:26
I'll also say this maybe I am missing something I have never needed to change settings before PQ has never been a issue defualt has always worked for me.

Rob van der Does
07-03-12, 13:45
I'll also say this maybe I am missing something I have never needed to change settings before PQ has never been a issue defualt has always worked for me.
Correct, as the defaults (in ViX) are neutral values.
What is important, is to switch off ALL so-called picture-enhancements in the TV.

garry1312
07-03-12, 13:48
right tried that if this helps the best way to describe it is it can look slightly duller and gritty if that makes sense.

Rob van der Does
07-03-12, 13:52
.... if I could get the PQ to the standard I am used to on other images/ E2 receivers I would praise the image 110%
If only imagemakers would be able to influence the picture quality.
But as I explained: that is not the case.

garry1312
07-03-12, 14:02
If only imagemakers would be able to influence the picture quality.
But as I explained: that is not the case.

So why do you think it is that I get better PQ on the CT image for instance than I do on the ViX image?

Maxwell
07-03-12, 14:05
Its not possible for an image to directly affect picture quality due to the fact that the actual processing is carried out with an algorithm written into the core for the Broadcom chipset by the box manufacturer, no one except the manufacturer has access and consequently it is the same for all images. Should anyone gain access to the algorithm and attempt to do anything to it, it would result in blocking, artifacts etc.
Images can supply some post processed settings and that is all.
If you have some picture quality problem it will be due to a setting/settings somewhere the only way to determine what is wrong is to use ISF video calibration software in conjunction with a colorimeter to calibrate both the display and source.

By the way when I google picture quality for the ETxxxx the only thing that i find negative is the same stuff you posted on DK within the last 24hrs

garry1312
07-03-12, 14:09
Its not possible for an image to directly affect picture quality due to the fact that the actual processing is carried out with an algorithm witten into the core for the Broadcom chipset by the box manufacturer, no one except the manufacturer has access and consequently it is the same for all images. Should anyone gain access to the algorithm and attempt to do anything to it, it would result in blocking, artifacts etc.
Images can supply some post processed settings and that is all.
If you have some picture quality problem it will be due to a setting/settings somewhere the only way to determine what is wrong is to use ISF video calibration software in conjunction with a colorimeter to calibrate both the display and source.

By the way when I google picture quality for the ETxxxx the only thing that i find negative is the same stuff you posted on DK within the last 24hrs

Right well this confuses me I see it as it cant be the TV it works great with other receivers/ images and it cant the receiver as the PQ is outstanding on other images :/

Thats actually one thread i never seen was my DK one.

Maxwell
07-03-12, 14:42
For a quick rough and ready by eye calibration check, download the MP4 version of this to your ET's HDD and play it using an image you are happy with then make any adjustments you see fit to the TV settings only until you have the best possible test patterns. Do not change inputs on the TV as usually they are calibrated on an individual basis so if you are connected to HDMI 1 you must stay on that input. Do not make any adjustments to the ET picture settings either.
Once you are happy flash the ET with the image you are having problems with then play the test patterns again and make your adjustments to the ET settings only.
Note you will never get it exactly the same as you are doing it by eye and human eyes are just not sensitive enough, also you will be working from memory of the initial test patterns quality - this is why we use colorimeters and dedicated calibration software that can exactly log and compare all settings.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496

garry1312
07-03-12, 15:07
Think i am just going to go with another image as any other image there is no need to do tests or change this and that the picture quality is perfect.

I dont understand why all this hassle is needed to get decent PQ on ViX image when with any other image I have ever used on a total of 4 HD E2 receivers and the same tv it has not been needed.

Sicilian
07-03-12, 15:15
Think i am just going to go with another image as any other image there is no need to do tests or change this and that the picture quality is perfect.

I dont understand why all this hassle is needed to get decent PQ on ViX image when with any other image I have ever used on a total of 4 HD E2 receivers and the same tv it has not been needed.

There's members here trying to advise and help you but you're are not prepared to do any leg work yourself, so what was the point of even creating this thread if your not prepared to accept the help given? :confused:

Rob van der Does
07-03-12, 15:23
There's only one answer: if you are able to get a difference in picture quality between different images, you're a miracle and worth your weight in gold (provided the images use the same drivers).

As I tried to explain before: there's no part of the image involved to get your TV-picture on your TV-screen, so it's physical impossible (hence the offer above) :D

garry1312
07-03-12, 15:38
There's members here trying to advise and help you but you're are not prepared to do any leg work yourself, so what was the point of even creating this thread if your not prepared to accept the help given? :confused:

I will have another try with tv and receiver settings but flashing another image running a test then back to ViX I may as well just flash another image and leave it at that.

There's only one answer: if you are able to get a difference in picture quality between different images, you're a miracle and worth your weight in gold (provided the images use the same drivers).

As I tried to explain before: there's no part of the image involved to get your TV-picture on your TV-screen, so it's physical impossible (hence the offer above) :D

I can assure you on it that other images such as the CT and AAF image are giving me better picture quality its not in my head others who have been round at my home have also made comments regarding it. It may be that its a setting thing on ViX that does not agree with my TV I do not know but without a doubt something is not adding up and providing the PQ i see on the other images.

If any of the ViX team are in central Scotland I invite you to come round to my home and I will be more than happy to prove this.

Rob van der Does
07-03-12, 16:33
Well, I suggest to make an end to this nonsense: please use the image that suites you best, and stop that useless moaning here.
And at the moment you encounter an engineer who's capable and willing to develop (better) drivers for whatever which box: please invite him to do so. Because that's the only thing that matters in this area.

garry1312
07-03-12, 16:47
total denial of any problem occuring theme from what I have seen.

I even said i would prove it there so why doesnt ViX give there bloody nonsense a by.

Today I have came across loads of threads with people talking about issues with ViX 2.3 crashing constantly on more than one manufacture of receiver, i have seen and spoken to many people regarding PQ. I have spoken to people that have said dont waist your time trying to tell them about problems they dont listen they just gang up on you and put the blame on to anything else. Use are full of pish so use are never at your end always the user that is in the wrong. I have seen many a thread now people complaining about one thing or another and ViX doing nothing about it and blaming anything else.

Well thats me by with this image anyone else wanting a better picture quality and a team that's willing to help people and resolve issues then DO NOT GO WITH VIX!!!!!!!!!

Sicilian
07-03-12, 16:58

I even said i would prove it there so why doesnt ViX give there bloody nonsense a by.

Today I have came across loads of threads with people talking about issues with ViX 2.3 crashing constantly on more than one manufacture of receiver, i have seen and spoken to many people regarding PQ. I have spoken to people that have said dont waist your time trying to tell them about problems they dont listen they just gang up on you and put the blame on to anything else. Use are full of pish so use are never at your end always the user that is in the wrong. I have seen many a thread now people complaining about one thing or another and ViX doing nothing about it and blaming anything else.

Well thats me by with this image anyone else wanting a better picture quality and a team that's willing to help people and resolve issues then DO NOT GO WITH VIX!!!!!!!!!

Lets get one thing straight here, any user posts here a GENUINE ISSUE, we do our utmost to help them! Just read through the countless posts on this forum here!

So the VIX Team now offering help is percieved as 'ganging up' is it?? As most issue threads have more than one of the team actually offering help! I give up, starting to wonder if this is really worth it!

We cannot account or be held accountable for user error, but we DO try to help them work out their issues and fix any bugs!

Any advice given to you in this thread has been dismissed my you!

Anyway goodbye, enjoy your new high quality HD image.

Larry-G
07-03-12, 17:07

no one is forcing you to use the image but when you make silly comments as above, can you really blame any one for being a little defensive ?.

As i have pointed out to you numerous times I do not own a Xtrend receiver and as such do not follow the development of the Xtrend images as closely as i maybe should but picture quality is a mix of the hardware of the receiver, the hardware drivers and your tv / personal input / settings. We are not fobbing you off we are trying to help you but you seem hell bent on slagging every one off who tries to help you. maybe it's time you just left it there and walked away ?.

garry1312
07-03-12, 17:16
No i am not slagging anyone off I raised a thread I was shot down I have been told numerous times to stop talking nonsense.

Look at my behaviour on any other forum have I went on this way on any other NO you know why because when posting a thread I have never ever been spoken to in this manner.

I have asked a simple question why on ViX image do i not need to run tests etc to get a good PQ? Use have not answered this question I am not talking nonsense I am not not blind I do not need to go to spec savers or whatever other abuse may come my way or has came my way.

The end of the day on my setup there is a difference in PQ it is poor on ViX but this is not the case on CT or HDF image.

No one has tried to help me. Sorry one member has which I used the thank button on but I found with that if I need to flash another image to then flash back ViX I may as well stay on the other image.

I am normally pretty much a calm guy but when right from the start of a thread all the way through it I am insulted I think I have every right to start getting annoyed.

Also I would agree that the development of the ViX image for ET series should be followed more.

Sicilian
07-03-12, 17:25
No i am not slagging anyone off I raised a thread I was shot down I have been told numerous times to stop talking nonsense.

Well what do you expect when straight away you went blaming the image??

Look at my behaviour on any other forum have I went on this way on any other NO you know why because when posting a thread I have never ever been spoken to in this manner.

I have asked a simple question why on ViX image do i not need to run tests etc to get a good PQ? Use have not answered this question I am not talking nonsense I am not not blind I do not need to go to spec savers or whatever other abuse may come my way or has came my way.

Any help/advice offered to you by Rob and Maxwell you dismissed!

No one has tried to help me.

What exactly do you want us to offer here??

Thread closed.

Larry-G
07-03-12, 17:30
The process of bug fixing and image development requires a lot of testing and involves a lot of trial and error, you may not see the need for such testing but it is a vital part of how images are developed and maintained. for example i have 3 Vu receivers and honestly i'm lucky if i get to watch a movie a week on any of them as i on average flash those receivers 10 times each per week.

for example yesterday andy released a new build 236 i believe but dont quote me on that, a few of our testers noticed that on this build some thing had gone wrong and they were no longer able to initialize USB sticks. Now although this was a relatively minor bug it meant a full rebuild of the image once the problem had been found which takes several hours, then we had to test that image again. every single image build needs extensive testing and i do mean every build.

If you want our help to diagnose and fix your problem fine we will help but dismissing our suggestions out of hand helps no one especially you.

Sicilian
07-03-12, 17:38
Pheonix m8, theres a minority of users who aren't interested as to what goes on the background, they pure and simple dont appreciate the work and effort that goes into all this. Andy's countless hours coding at his pc through the night, countless beta builds etc.. hundreds of man hours testing. For instance the bug from yesterday I spent all afternoon and early evening with Andy to figure out where it had broken, I wonder now if it worth all the efforts. F**k me even the cost of running all this forum, our electricty bill's running build pc's and test receivers, our testing time. I'm asking myself whats it all for? Just to get told that we're ganging up on people when we try to help!

If any member here feels in any way that the VIX team has ganged up on them we apologise and please pm me direct and I will look into the matter :)

Larry-G
07-03-12, 17:49
you'r not the only one mate.

for example I work any where from a minimum of 70 hrs a week to often over 100, then my spare time is spent flashing and testing various images on the receivers i have. Dont get me wrong i absolutely love this hobby and will do every thing i can to contribute, but at the cost of other things. example. I have passed up the entire winter shooting season this year but hey it's for the benefit of our users so i can live with it.

EDIT, in fact for a little information i passed up a promotion at work last week because it would have put a end to my involvement with the image, due to the time needed and nature of the work but hey.

@ gary if you want our help and your willing to take on board our suggestions then we will happily help you but if your not then it may be time you just went to another image.