PDA

View Full Version : EPG Download crashes the box (SOLVED)

mauri
06-03-12, 00:23
Hi there,

Just wanted to share my experience with my Vu+Duo box and CrossEPG.
Till a few days ago, everything was OK (well, not everything, since I did have a couple of daily crashes, be it when zapping thru channels, or trying to watch a recorded program). But what kept bothering me too much was the EPG: no matter what settings I choose (CrossEPG or XMLTV dowloader) the box kept crashing when downloading the second provider or so. More specifically, when downloading the OpenTV provider (BSKYB and/or SKY IT). it was driving me nuts because all I could have was the now and later EPG for all the channels.

The solution was simple: I changed the USB stick, and voila! Now the box does not crash when downloading the EPG. I do not know what I messed up with my previous usb stik - because it was working for several months now, but the important thing is the box now does not crash on EPG.

FYI and cheers

Update: Nope, the bug is still there. CrossEPG downloaded without issue the sky uk and sky it (OpenTV), parsed and loaded painfully slow (the spinning logo for almost 2 minutes). but when downloading/parsing and loading canal digitaal source (the Rytec one) it crashed the box.
HEEELP! :(

judge
06-03-12, 00:42
There seems to be a problem with some USB sticks 'going to sleep'. The ones that do go to sleep seem to cause a few problems.
What makes it even stranger, I have a USB stick that goes to sleep on my solo but stays awake on my duo.
I'm sure the issue will be tracked down soon & the team will work their magic & make sure USB sticks as opposed to USB HD's never sleep...

mauri
06-03-12, 00:46
Update: Nope, the bug is still there. CrossEPG downloaded without issue the sky uk and sky it (OpenTV), parsed and loaded painfully slow (the spinning logo for almost 2 minutes). but when downloading/parsing and loading canal digitaal source (the Rytec one) it crashed the box.
HEEELP! :(

Sicilian
06-03-12, 07:05
Initialize the USB stick in the Dup. Menu > Setup > System > Harddisk > Select the USB stick and initialize. Exit out of all screens, check format progress by pressing blue button. Once done make sure the USB stick is mount to /media/usb in Mount manager. Blue button > VIX > Mount manager. Now reboot. Once rebooted goto Menu > Setup > System > EPG > Settings > Make sure the EPG location is set to /media/usb.

mauri
07-03-12, 00:08
Initialize the USB stick in the Dup. Menu > Setup > System > Harddisk > Select the USB stick and initialize. Exit out of all screens, check format progress by pressing blue button. Once done make sure the USB stick is mount to /media/usb in Mount manager. Blue button > VIX > Mount manager. Now reboot. Once rebooted goto Menu > Setup > System > EPG > Settings > Make sure the EPG location is set to /media/usb.
Thnx 4 answering boss! :)
Did all u instructed, downloaded ok the opnTV providers but on the 3d crashed again. :(

Zartmy
07-03-12, 00:13
Ok if you have the usb stick going to sleep issue, changing the permission on sdparm will solve it.

in telnet session try:
chmod 000 /usr/bin/sdparm

mauri
07-03-12, 22:01
Ok if you have the usb stick going to sleep issue, changing the permission on sdparm will solve it.

in telnet session try:

Not sure if I have the sleeping-USB symptom, but did tlelnet the box with the command u suggested me.
Not sure if it did anything, cuz the telnet did not give any meaningful message.
I'll post back after testing a little more.
Thnx

mauri
07-03-12, 23:09

in telnet session try:

Nope, it did not solve the issue.
Now it crashes even when zapping from one bouqet to another.
Grrrrrr!!! It's driving me nuts.
Maybe the root cause is the compatibility issues of Vix 2.3 with new kernel? :/

a911
08-03-12, 08:14
Hi there,

Just wanted to share my experience with my Vu+Duo box and CrossEPG.
Till a few days ago, everything was OK (well, not everything, since I did have a couple of daily crashes, be it when zapping thru channels, or trying to watch a recorded program). But what kept bothering me too much was the EPG: no matter what settings I choose (CrossEPG or XMLTV dowloader) the box kept crashing when downloading the second provider or so. More specifically, when downloading the OpenTV provider (BSKYB and/or SKY IT). it was driving me nuts because all I could have was the now and later EPG for all the channels.
(

This happened lately with me ,on my Vu Duo!
May be the latest drivers (28/02/2012 Beta)

Sicilian
08-03-12, 08:41
Exactly how many providers do you have selected? Instead of using Rytec sources try the sources through XEPGDB.

a911
08-03-12, 12:29
Exactly how many providers do you have selected? Instead of using Rytec sources try the sources through XEPGDB.

Only three , tried XEPGDB!
I think , its from Epgcross or USB!

Am going for new USB soon and try it and see!

Sicilian
08-03-12, 12:37
Only three , tried XEPGDB!
I think , its from Epgcross or USB!

Am going for new USB soon and try it and see!

When you do, follow post 4 in this thread.

mauri
09-03-12, 00:08

I have Xepgdb Benelux, Italy and UK sources.
It crashes randomly even when u stop playing a movie from movie player.
Or when u zap from a certain channel (been watching for some time) to another channel.
It also sometimes gets 'stuck' on the Vix logo spinning terribly slow.
It feels like the box is sluggish compared to what was on 2.1 Vix.
If USB stick not plugged in, the box is fast, responsive and does not crash.

mauri
09-03-12, 00:12
When you do, follow post 4 in this thread.
I don't thinks it's the USB stick cuz Ive had this stick always.
Anyways tried a different one, still the same symptoms.
IMO it looks like the Xepgdb sources are somehow less buggy.
In fact when used the opnTV sources it crashed on the second provider parsing/saving/loading, now it does not crash when loading epg just downloaded. Also looks like the loading of data takes just under 1 minute Vs 2 minutes before...

UPDATE: one more thing; when finished downloading the 5 days epg, I restart enigma cuz for whatever reason - when box crashes - the epg info is loaded ok.
But if not restarted, when box crashes, the epg is 'lost' and I need to force reload the epg to show.

a911
10-03-12, 00:18
I solved my issue , by putting a new USB!
And istalled clean image!

Will see , what would happend in the next few days!

Thanx,
:thumbsup:
for the help!

RgdZ
a911

a911
12-03-12, 21:57
I solved my issue , by putting a new USB!
And istalled clean image!

Will see , what would happend in the next few days!

Thanx,
:thumbsup:
for the help!

RgdZ
a911

All are OK!
No more crashes!