PDA

View Full Version : Insufficient flash memory/ram

nuke2000
02-03-12, 08:57
Hi there

I have noticed that my vu+ duo is frequently very low on memory (less than 2mb). Have had frequent lock ups and set up a swap to try to help. The swap will only function reliably if on the hdd (putting it on usb causes me all sorts of issues). This problem is at worst with vix images which is a shame as that is my favoured image. Cant help but think that the amount of flash memory in the duo is sadly lacking because as soon as we have a few providers on crossepg it all gets used up for the cache regardless of where you locate the epg data.

Any work arounds? Is it possible to upgrade the flash memory on the duo? Perhaps someone knows of a receiver that has far more memory available?

Thanks in advance

Dave

Zartmy
02-03-12, 11:02
The VU+ ultimo has a little more.

I wonder why there isnt anyone who builds the boxes around intel atom or such alike using normal ddr3 memory. 4 GB DDR3 costs about €20 today

Sicilian
02-03-12, 11:09
The VU+ ultimo has a little more.

I wonder why there isnt anyone who builds the boxes around intel atom or such alike using normal ddr3 memory. 4 GB DDR3 costs about €20 today

Its becuase Enigma 2 is designed to work with broadcom chipsets.

Zartmy
02-03-12, 11:22
I have noticed that my vu+ duo is frequently very low on memory (less than 2mb).

What is the output of free, are you sure you really are low on memory ? Linux tends to use all free memory as diskcache - but as soon an application needs memory it discards the diskcache and give the app the memory pages it wants.

Zartmy
02-03-12, 11:27
Its becuase Enigma 2 is designed to work with broadcom chipsets.

From what i heard VU+ is going to use xbmc as a new frontend in the future. And Enigma 2 is to my knowledge not targeted just to broadcom chipsets, quoting there wiki 'enigma2 is a framebuffer-based zapping application (GUI) for linux. It's targeted to real set-top-boxes, like the DM7025, but would also work on regular PCs. Enigma2 is based on the Python programming language with a backend written in C++. It uses the [LinuxTV DVB API], which is part of a standard linux kernel. '

Sicilian
02-03-12, 11:33
From what i heard VU+ is going to use xbmc as a new frontend in the future. And Enigma 2 is to my knowledge not targeted just to broadcom chipsets, quoting there wiki 'enigma2 is a framebuffer-based zapping application (GUI) for linux. It's targeted to real set-top-boxes, like the DM7025, but would also work on regular PCs. Enigma2 is based on the Python programming language with a backend written in C++. It uses the [LinuxTV DVB API], which is part of a standard linux kernel. '

There's been a few manufactuer's of late tried to develop linux receivers based on NXP and STi chipsets, all have failed :trustme:

Rob van der Does
02-03-12, 11:53
I have noticed that my vu+ duo is frequently very low on memory (less than 2mb).
What memory are you talking about?

What is the output of free, are you sure you really are low on memory ? Linux tends to use all free memory as diskcache - but as soon an application needs memory it discards the diskcache and give the app the memory pages it wants.
Correct, that's the way a smart memory manager works. "Free" is in this context the same as "Wasted". You don't want Free memory, you want the memory to be used for anything that helps performance, such as cache.

So if you want to know what memory is really free you should look at "Free + Cached + Buffers".

Activating swap will not give you more free memory. But it will provide more memory when it is really needed.