PDA

View Full Version : Help needed - think I have bought a clone

gedclarke
29-02-12, 19:59
Hello, I know I have been stupid but I think have just bought a clone. Can someone please post me a picture of the inside of a genuine box so I can verify and to help me make a claim through Paypal. Also the a sticker on the box says to go here for updates XXXXXXXXX but I thought this was the genuine site http://www2.vuplus.com/. Any help would be great, I wouldn't mind but I actually spoke to the seller on the phone and he reassured me it was genuine. Feel like an idiot.

Sicilian
29-02-12, 20:03
Unfortunately these clone sellers are full of crap. Price would have given it away though, remember, you get what you pay for. Should have purchased from WOS, guaranteed 100% genuine VU+ ;)

xarqi
29-02-12, 20:09
You can take a look at the disc installation tutorial sticky - there are some images there. The Vu+ site also has some images showing how to spot the differences, although in some cases I wasn't sure exactly what they were pointing out.

gedclarke
29-02-12, 20:12
Thanks, any info on websites? Going to order from WOS tonight once I can confirm.

sinky50
29-02-12, 20:12
You can take a look at the disc installation tutorial sticky - there are some images there. The Vu+ site also has some images showing how to spot the differences, although in some cases I wasn't sure exactly what they were pointing out.

I looked at their vebsite but box insides are only of a solo, no help from them to spot a clone.

sinky

Larry-G
29-02-12, 20:40
The sticker on the left hand corner directing you to a so called safe place to get images from indicates that the box is a clone.

pm me the site address on that sticker and i'll confirm for you.

Ev0
29-02-12, 20:43
It's simple, download the latest bootloader, flash that to your box, and then flash the latest official image, ViX, BH, VTi or Pli (etc etc) image onto it.

If it boots up and works, it's genuine.

If it doesn't then you have a clone.

Stanman
29-02-12, 20:49
It's simple, download the latest bootloader, flash that to your box, and then flash the latest official image, ViX, BH, VTi or Pli (etc etc) image onto it.

I know your saying that in jest but some newbie might just go ahead and do it. Please be careful what you advice.

Mr. Mister
29-02-12, 20:50

Not strickly true there Evo..

I have seen a clone solo working perfectly using vix 2.3 with all updates done.. New kernal and bootloaders all updated..

Seems they have over that problem now.. and working as if it was original..

It seems it was a very easy process to make a clone do this..

Ev0
29-02-12, 20:56
I know your saying that in jest but some newbie might just go ahead and do it. Please be careful what you advice.

Fair enough, point taken.

Although, if they do the above and it does brick it, then good case for a charge back / paypal claim etc, as it's not fit for purpose and saves going down the counterfeit goods route.

Ev0
29-02-12, 20:57
Not strickly true there Evo..

I have seen a clone solo working perfectly using vix 2.3 with all updates done.. New kernal and bootloaders all updated..

Seems they have over that problem now.. and working as if it was original..

It seems it was a very easy process to make a clone do this..

Thats not good to hear :(

sinky50
29-02-12, 21:33
I've emailed the guy to give him a chance. The image on it is Black hole 1.7.2

Sinky

Larry-G
29-02-12, 22:11
I've emailed the guy to give him a chance. The image on it is Black hole 1.7.2

Sinky

it's a clone with the sticker pointing to that url i'm absolutely positive about that. also another thing to check is did the unit come with a RS232 serial cable with a small PCB ? this is what they use to flash the anti clone fixes to the box, now the guy you bought the box from may have kept this after patching the box to run the latest BH but as i said by the sticker and that url it is a clone.

sinky50
29-02-12, 22:47
Thanks for the help, I,m in contact with the seller just now and its not proving too good. I may get my money back excluding postage both ways. About £30 to £35 quid. I'll need to keep at him.

Thanks Sinky

gedclarke
29-02-12, 23:09
Hello mate, did you get it off ebay? marios....

Ev0
29-02-12, 23:29
Thanks for the help, I,m in contact with the seller just now and its not proving too good. I may get my money back excluding postage both ways. About £30 to £35 quid. I'll need to keep at him.

Thanks Sinky

I wouldn't be happy with that tbh, I think you might need to have a word with trading standards, customs and excise and also pass his details onto vu+