PDA

View Full Version : HDD Drives with usage above 1tb

pooface
10-08-10, 10:34
Hi guys.

Just wondered if anyone has had a hdd of greater than 1tb, and have actually used 1tb worth of the storage yet?!

I'm just asking, because I've read a few reports previously (can't remember where now though), that there are problems with the vu duo of having a hdd greater than 1tb, when more than 1tb is actually used.

I say this, because last night, I finally reached the 1tb limit (well, just over 1000gb, but a bit weird it's just at this size)... Anyway, this morning, I had a recording set. When I went to check on the recording, it wasn't recording. Tried going to the movie list to see whether it had tried or whatever, and the box seemed to be frozen. So, opened telnet, because I've changed back to the DE image, I typed the command "Delitecmd reboot". Came up with message on screen that there is a recording, are you sure you want to reboot. Remote was working again, and could click no. Tried looking at my movie list again, came blank, not frozen.

Opened telnet again, "cd /hdd/" and did an "ls", and got an empty drive. Weird I thought. So, anyway, did a "mounts", and it said that the hdd was mounted correctly. "df -h", and get the information for my hdd "/dev/sdb1 1.4T 10004.9G 293.0G 72% /media/hdd". So, it was definately my 1.5tb drive, with just over 1tb used, and mounted correctly...

Anyway, did a reboot (even though it complained of a recording which should be recording but wasn't. When it started back, it came up with an error message. Think the exact message that came up was: "No displayable files on this medium found". However, I checked the recorded files, and it showed them. There were the 2 recordings meant to happen this morning that weren't there (1 at 7.20, 1 at 7.50), but there was a recording there from 6.25 (although I didn't check it actually works). Doing a telnet, I can see the list on /media/hdd. Not had time to do further testing tho, as had to head off to work...

So, I am just wondering whether this is a problem with the image, or whether it's the problem that I've read before about the 1tb issue...

Hopefully there are some other users out there that have had such an issue before?! Or users who have more than 1tb of stuff on their hdd... Also, would it be worth emailing alex at vuplus, or should I not bother, since I never had any responses to my problems before...

If it is an issue with the 1tb hdd used, then I think I'd be able to get away with it by formatting the partitions, and setting up links to the downloaded movies I've stored on the hdd (or the kids movies) and move them to a 500gb partition, and have a 1tb partition for the recordings... Does the vu duo handle partitioned hdds? If so, how about symlinks and suomipoeka plugin?

Thanks again guys, and hope we can get some useful insight from this...

pooface
10-08-10, 18:42
Take it that no-one has had first hand experience of this...

Got back and had a look. Tried playing one of the movies, and it just ran really slowly. Playing a little bit of the film, stopping, then playing a little more, then stopping, etc.

Telnetted in to the box, and tried deleting files from the trashcan... As I did, came up saying that it couldn't delete them. Typed "mount", and it said that the system had been mounted read-only (ro).

Restarted the box. Typed "mount", said it was rw. Tried deleting the files again, and it took ages. Had to close the telnet window. Then, telnetted back, typed mount, and it was ro again!

Tried to get it to be recognised by my mac using the paragon extfs programme. However, it didn't recognise the drive. Put it back in vu box, and then deleted a smaller file that was on the box. This deleted. Proceeded to trashcan, and deleted the files. Took ages to delete (sure it never took that long to delete before). Now, when I try watching a movie, it works fine...

Next thing to try is to do a filesystem check. Not sure why it's doing this though. Only thing I can think is that the duo really doesn't work with drives containing more than 1tb of data... Hopefully someone else can give me some info :)

BTW, now, I only have 952.7G used... lol.

Sicilian
10-08-10, 21:12
Sorry m8, cant test here, i've only got 500GB HDD installed.

pooface
10-08-10, 21:56
Well, after running e2fsck with the following command, I get the results underneath:

Command:

e2fsck -pcfv -C 0 /dev/sdb1

Results:

sh: badblocks: not found

2090 inodes used (0%)
471 non-contiguous inodes (22.5%)
# of inodes with ind/dind/tind blocks: 1093/527/90
249852662 blocks used (68%)
0 bad blocks
139 large files

2046 regular files
34 directories
0 character device files
0 block device files
0 fifos
0 links
1 symbolic link (1 fast symbolic link)
0 sockets
--------
2081 files
[1] + Killed e2fsck -pcfv -C fd /dev/sdb1

So, I'm guessing that there's no problems with the drive itself...

Guess I'll just have to wait until I fill it up a little more?!

parkher
12-08-10, 22:26
After reading this thread, I installed 1 TB drive into my new Duo. A had also 1.5 TB, but why unnecessary problems.
I intend to keep it free by moving stuff out of it.
Now I just recorded a 10.5 GB tennis match in 1080i HD and it took 14 minutes to copy it over 100 Mbps lan to an external USB drive attached to PC.
Actually, it is faster to download from another continent over internet because then I am not restricted by 100 Mbps.
How come they chose not to put a gigabit adapter into Duo?

I am very new at this, I have my Duo only the 2nd day.
I hope it is possible to record from it directly into an external eSata or USB drive (hopefully, ntfs) or at least to record directly over lan, not to the internal drive. To configure it somehow where to record.
Likewise, I hope it is possible to play x264/mkv movies directly from PC. It should be easy, file system not important.
Or directly from an external drive. My drives are all ntfs , but ntfs RO is easier in linux than RW, I think.

BTW, I have installed the latest PLi nightly build, and it does not include ntfs-g3, it seems.

But I hope I can add it?
Does any other image already include ntfs-g3?