PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo] Random Crashes VIX 2.3

nsdiesel
23-02-12, 09:58
Im experiencing some random crashes on my box. I get at least 2 crashes everyday. Sometimes it can crash just from changing the channel, sometimes it crashes when I try time shifting and sometimes it can be from connecting to the webinterface with my pc. I'm new to this so I'm not sure what other information to give you. I have now sold my box and have purchased an ultimo but really don't want the same thing to happen again.

Excuse any spelling mistakes as I'm typing this all on my phone.

punisher
23-02-12, 10:34
ftp into your box and go to media home/root and in there you should have some crash logs. Now when you say crash, do you get a black screen come up, or does it crash as in the box is non-responsive and requires a reboot?

nsdiesel
23-02-12, 13:04
I no longer have the box so I cant get the logs I'm afraid, but I noticed it did not create any logs when this happened. Sometimes it crashes and restarts but I don't get the black screen. The box becomes non-responsive and the picture freezes, then the VIX spinning logo comes up in the top left corner. I have noticed that sometimes the logo comes up and spins really slowly, I then have to restart the box manually from the switch on the back otherwise it stays like that. Sometimes it spins at normal speed and after a minute or so the box is usable again.

johno
23-02-12, 16:06
im having the same issue checked logs folder and its empty im also thinking of getting rid of my duo for this reason :(

genuine vu+duo

johno

TK4|2|1
23-02-12, 16:09
This is interesting, I have a friend with an et5000 displaying similar problems only since doing the online update a few days ago. Vix2.3.

Sent from my iThing, using sorcery and the magic interweb.

nsdiesel
23-02-12, 16:43
I had this problem the whole time I had the duo, which was about a week and a half. I'm just thinking now I have purchased the ultimo it may still happen. As I'm new to all this I didn't change much configurations or add much plugins apart from the webinterface, cccam and TSpanel.

Silent
23-02-12, 16:47
Do you set a crash log location? I'm sure mine go to hdd. Could be wrong though :).

I was having lots of problems, but I completely re-flashed, no plugins other than CCcam and I didn't even change to the ViX Day HD skin. I get minimal problems now. Almost all crashes are EPG related.

nsdiesel
23-02-12, 16:56
When i was setting it up i got some crashes down to me no knowing what i was doing lol. There are logs of those crashes so I'm guessing the location has been set.
How often does yours crash?

Silent
23-02-12, 19:39
Just got home and checked, logs stop on the 29th of Feb when I flashed and set up everything as new. I've just changed mine back to HDD, since I guess after a reboot you'll lose the ones that are in memory.

It crashes probably once every other day on average I'd say, sometimes more and sometimes less.

psionguy
24-02-12, 10:35
im having the same issue checked logs folder and its empty im also thinking of getting rid of my duo for this reason :(

genuine vu+duo

johno

I don't think your Duo is the problem; it will be something related to the firmware and your add-ons. Myself I think the problems started after the new boot loader was issued, as prior to this the Duo was a very stable box.

nsdiesel
25-02-12, 11:36
I have now got my ultimo from the sponsor that came with the VIX image already on it. No crashes as of yet so not sure what the problem was before. I have only installed cccam and thats it. So it could have been one of the plugins i had on the duo.

gordyboy
25-02-12, 11:39
random crashes for me too I'm putting it down to a memory issue

lynd145
28-02-12, 15:38
ive been having the same problems it crashes every day at least a couple of times been trying to figure it out but it crashes when ever it wants to sometimes changing channels/adding a timer for record or moving sat dish the list goes on im runnin latest image with latest update ive even done a fresh install and it still does it and the only plugins i use is cross epg onto usb and cccam. its only been doin this since the new drivers :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Sicilian
28-02-12, 15:46
ive been having the same problems it crashes every day at least a couple of times been trying to figure it out but it crashes when ever it wants to sometimes changing channels/adding a timer for record or moving sat dish the list goes on im runnin latest image with latest update ive even done a fresh install and it still does it and the only plugins i use is cross epg onto usb and cccam. its only been doin this since the new drivers :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Post the crash logs, this might give a clue to the cause.

gordyboy
28-02-12, 16:39
yup thats the same for me very annoying

Sicilian
28-02-12, 16:48
@lynd145 and gordyboy, what you are posting is not going to help us resolve your issue. We need the crashlogs and a step by step how to re-create the crash.

gordyboy
28-02-12, 17:38
I dont have any crash logs no logs are generated

Sicilian
28-02-12, 17:45
I dont have any crash logs no logs are generated

Where have you looked for them?

Mr. Mister
28-02-12, 17:51
Hi Sic..

here is a crash log that i took from media > hdd ..

I got this crash last night..

I had 1 recording running and just changed channel from ITV1 to BBC2..

Please find log attached..

hope this helps..

lynd145
28-02-12, 22:31
i would if i could i got home tonite and the box as totally froze does not respond to remote and cant ftp into it it did this the other day and the only way back into the box is a fresh install

Mr. Mister
29-02-12, 01:34
Can you not just switch of at the wall and all is ok again.. ??

Bat
29-02-12, 19:49
Hi,
Same here! Having many issues since the bootloader update...
I've only had one black screen out of many box lockups. I can't find any crash logs newer than December 2011. Where are they located?
Cheers,
Gavin :)

Bat
29-02-12, 20:00
Hi,
OK... I've read there's a bug that deletes the crash log when you restart the GUI or the box. To get round this you need to set DEBUG LOGS to ENABLE in the log manager.
Cheers,

Sicilian
29-02-12, 20:08
Any of you guys having issues, please FULLY answer the following: -

a) Did you flash fresh?
b) List ALL plugins self installed?
c) List exact EPG settings? Inc where your EPG is stored.
d) Make and model of USB stick if any?
e) PTS enabled yes or no?
f) Has HDD been fresh formatted with new image?
g) Has HDD been converted to EXT4?
h) Provide exact make & model of HDD.
i) Settings/bouquets used?
j) Did you re-scan satellites being used after transfering settings/bouquets?
k) Upon re-scanning did you set clear before scan to no?

Bat
29-02-12, 20:45
Hi,
Trying to be as helpful as poss, but some of it was a while ago...

A) Yes
B) None
C) No idea, I just use the standard one on the EPG button
D) None
E) PTS????
F) No, no mention of this in the instructions for the bootloader/image update
G) Drive initialised as per "How to" on forum
H) Seagate (ST340014AS)
I) Slyfox 28.2
J) Can't remember if before or after or both.
K) Set to Yes when I did it.

Cheers,

Bat
29-02-12, 20:54
Hi,
Ok, here it is. Box locked up when switching on with remote. VIX logo spinning slow and then fast, then box came into life on a different channel to the one it was on when I switched it off.
Cheers,

Rob van der Does
01-03-12, 07:32
Just to clarify: there are two kinds of crashes.

1- An Enigma2 crash. When this happens a black screen will show, Enigma restarts and a crashlog is produced.

2- A system crash. When this happens the box freezes (= dead), doesn't respond to anything. The VFD will be frozen at the time of death. No log is produced and the only way to get the box alive is to pull the plug.

In both cases the debug logs can be very useful. Be sure to have them activated if you experience problems and want to help to sort them out.

Bat
01-03-12, 18:02
Hi,
Here's one for you Rob ;)
Box unresponsive but picture ok.
No sound, no web IF access, but FTP'd this log out ok .....

Cheers,

Sicilian
01-03-12, 18:10
Hi,
Here's one for you Rob ;)
Box unresponsive but picture ok.
No sound, no web IF access, but FTP'd this log out ok .....

Cheers,

What USB tuner are you using? Did you have a recording set through your USB tuner?

Bat
01-03-12, 21:46
Hi,
I'm not using one. I did install drivers for one at some point but never purchased a USB tuner in the end.
I had got timers set for around the time I switched the box on.
I thought I'd reflashed since though...
Cheers,

Bat
02-03-12, 09:34
Hi,
I had a look through plugins and extension and couldn't see the drivers for the USB tuner :confused:
Cheers,

bassethound
02-03-12, 10:13
Hi,
I had a look through plugins and extension and couldn't see the drivers for the USB tuner :confused:
Cheers,

Tell us which USB tuner you have and someone can then tell you which drivers to use

Bat
02-03-12, 19:37
Hi,
Bassethound ... I don't have one! Sicilian was asking about it in post #30. I think it may have some bearing on the problem :confused:
Cheers,

Bat
04-03-12, 10:33
Hi,
Here's some more logs. I had 10 in a row of the root crash from 00:22 to 00:29. I've only uploaded the last one as they were all the same file size.

Any idea on the cause/fix for this yet, please?

If anyone else has a problem please post your logs!

Cheers,

Sicilian
04-03-12, 10:36
Hi,
Here's some more logs. I had 10 in a row of the root crash from 00:22 to 00:29. I've only uploaded the last one as they were all the same file size.

Any idea on the cause/fix for this yet, please?

If anyone else has a problem please post your logs!

Cheers,

Looks like your HDD could be full.

Bat
04-03-12, 10:58
Hi,
Probably is by now, but still having freeezing problems. :(
Last night I watched 1 channel for 2 hours, box completely unresponsive wouldn't change volume, channel, anything..... :mad:
Would the box make 10 logs beacuse the HDD is full?????
Cheers,

punisher
04-03-12, 11:00
When was the last time u initialized ur hdd?

Bat
04-03-12, 11:02
Hi,
When I installed it, about 9 months ago.
Cheers,

Sicilian
04-03-12, 11:02
Hi,
Probably is by now, but still having freeezing problems. :(
Last night I watched 1 channel for 2 hours, box completely unresponsive wouldn't change volume, channel, anything..... :mad:
Would the box make 10 logs beacuse the HDD is full?????
Cheers,

Yes if your trying to record and its full. As Punisher asked, when was the last time you initialized your HDD? Maybe try backing up your recordings that you want to keep and re-initialize your HDD.

Bat
04-03-12, 11:04
Hi,
Ok I'll do that.
How do you change the recording path? I just can't suss it out :( :confused:
Cheers,

satnav
04-03-12, 11:06
My m8 and I have the same issues with both a Duo and 2 Ultimo STB, so no cure selling Duo!!

Larry-G
04-03-12, 11:10
If the Duo has a HDD installed Try re-initializing that HDD while it's using a kernel 3.1.1 image. i'm not saying it will cure all your issues but at this point you have nothing at all to loose.

Bat
04-03-12, 11:13
Hi,
I'm just transferring everything off the drive now to do this.

If I could figure out how to change the recording path it could all go straight on the NAS!

Cheers,

Sicilian
04-03-12, 11:14
My m8 and I have the same issues with both a Duo and 2 Ultimo STB, so no cure selling Duo!!

Post your crashlogs.

Larry-G
04-03-12, 11:18
Hi,
I'm just transferring everything off the drive now to do this.

If I could figure out how to change the recording path it could all go straight on the NAS!

Cheers,

I'm at work rite now and cant remember the exact steps needed to change the recording path within the image, if no one else posts before i get home this evening i'll post it up for you.

satnav
04-03-12, 11:19
My m8 and I have the same issues with both a Duo and 2 Ultimo STB, so no cure selling Duo!! :confused:

Sicilian
04-03-12, 11:22
My m8 and I have the same issues with both a Duo and 2 Ultimo STB, so no cure selling Duo!! :confused:

We know and I asked a question above!

satnav
04-03-12, 11:23
I have in the past and recently m8 has and we had no reply!:confused:

Sicilian
04-03-12, 11:25

Ok, dont bother then :p

Do you have links to your relevant posts?

punisher
04-03-12, 11:27
To change ur recording path go to menu/setup/system/recording settings

Larry-G
04-03-12, 11:28

Hence why i said if you have a hard drive installed try re-initializing it. also making statements like that without at least providing us with crash logs is of no real use to us.

Bat
04-03-12, 11:29
Hi
I can get to the menu to make the changes, but can only see the bookmark of HDD/Movies and I can't change it!
I can play movies and MP3s from the NAS on the DUO no problem...
Cheers,

Larry-G
04-03-12, 11:30

just because you may not have received a reply to your logs does not mean they were not helpful to us. also try sending them via the inbuilt logs manager via the box it self as that way they all go directly to one main location where andy does not have to wade through hundreds of posts.

satnav
04-03-12, 11:38
I didnt post but used the STB to send directly but my m8 has posted so its not a case of dont bother then. Why hasnt the STB route worked or is that an issue?

satnav
04-03-12, 11:47
All 3 STB have had there HDD initialized from new using the latest software release, so on the latest HD format.

Bat
04-03-12, 11:47
Hi
I can get to the menu to make the changes, but can only see the bookmark of HDD/Movies and I can't change it!
I can play movies and MP3s from the NAS on the DUO no problem...
Cheers,

Annoyingly, if I go to New timers recording path I can see the NAS directory listed but still cannot select it. Grrrrr!

Larry-G
04-03-12, 11:50
I didnt post but used the STB to send directly but my m8 has posted so its not a case of dont bother then. Why hasnt the STB route worked or is that an issue?

i'm not sure what you mean.

when users send us their logs via the receiver and then logs manager feature they all go into a centralized mail box which all the team are subscribed to.
all and i do mean ALL logs sent to us are looked into, we cant however much we would like to reply to every single user individually who submits their logs to us, the reason we ask users to submit their details along with their logs is so we can track those logs and where possible andy or another team member may contact that user with more questions about their setup or if possible a update on the progress of the bug report.

as i said however we cant always contact members individually but all logs are looked at.

Bat
04-03-12, 11:52
Hi,
Just sent mine in via the box too. I couldn't find the @ symbol to put in my email address though! :confused:
Cheers,

Larry-G
04-03-12, 11:53
All 3 STB have had there HDD initialized from new using the latest software release, so on the latest HD format.

so you re-initialize the HDD every time you install a new image ?. if you are running a kernel 3.1.1 image and the HDD was initialized with a older 2.6.xx kernel image please if you can re-initialize the HDD using the current image. bug finding is a process of elimination and were trying to work through a few things here to see whats going on.

Larry-G
04-03-12, 11:54
Hi,
Just sent mine in via the box too. I couldn't find the @ symbol to put in my email address though! :confused:
Cheers,

the @ symbol can be accessed via the 0 ( zero ) button or by calling up the onscreen keyboard while in the menu it self.

Bat
04-03-12, 12:18
Hi,
Found it on the zero key. It's not on the keyboard though :p
Cheers,

punisher
04-03-12, 12:19
@ Bat

when you press OK on the recording path, you get a directory listing, press channel up button to get into the top part of the screen, then navigate to you NAS drive folder then Add it as a bookmark, that will give you the option then to chose that directory

Bat
04-03-12, 12:29
@ Bat

when you press OK on the recording path, you get a directory listing, press channel up button to get into the top part of the screen, then navigate to you NAS drive folder then Add it as a bookmark, that will give you the option then to chose that directory

That should be a how to sticky!
I would never have thought to use the channel buttons in a menu navigation situation!

satnav
04-03-12, 12:34
All three boxes have only had the latest releases installed on them from new the two ultimo’s are from our sponsor pre installed.

Larry-G
04-03-12, 12:38
so your also having issues with the ultimo too ?.

ive had my ultimo for a few weeks now and can honestly say ive had maybe half a dozen crashes and thats while beta testing the images.

if were to get to the bottom of things we need every bit of information you can provide such as what plugins etc you have installed, what cams and their versions. if you have picons or swap files setup.

the more details the better.

punisher
04-03-12, 12:42
That should be a how to sticky!
I would never have thought to use the channel buttons in a menu navigation situation!

i didnt know for a while too, but if you dont ask you wont know :p

frankblueking
04-03-12, 13:22
Hi Guys
I have the Vu+ Ultimo and my box crashes regularly when I am surfing the programmes with the P+ button. I have posted here with my error log but no progress so far. Virtually every error log as been sent but no indication if they have been received or read. Come on VIX Team this is clearly an issue that numerous people are experiencing and needs some attention.

Larry-G
04-03-12, 13:27
every single log you have sent to us has been looked at, as i said above we always look at all logs however we can not be expected to individually reply to every log we receive. as for your problems provide us with as much information as possible about your exact setup, including all plugins installed. where your recording and picons are stored to etc etc etc. the more information the better so we can try to replicate and fix the error. all i can say personally is that my Ultimo is rock solid and very very stable with my setup.

frankblueking
04-03-12, 14:37
Thanks your comments. My understanding is that the log file contains the box settings, if not let me know what you need and I will add to my next error log. I would appreciate you sending me your settings etc so I can replicate them on my machine. Rock solid performance sounds good to me!! Even with the problems I love the box and operating system.

satnav
04-03-12, 15:00
I have now found how to cause the crash. If you swop from one EPG to another EPG and press OK to quickly or whilst it says gathering data it crashes every time. I will send the logs later from my STB directly.

Larry-G
04-03-12, 15:26
Thanks your comments. My understanding is that the log file contains the box settings, if not let me know what you need and I will add to my next error log. I would appreciate you sending me your settings etc so I can replicate them on my machine. Rock solid performance sounds good to me!! Even with the problems I love the box and operating system.

yes thats correct to a degree, although as i said the more information you can provide the better such as what you did that lead up to the crash etc.

frankblueking
05-03-12, 09:08
This quick pressing of the OK key to view channels describes exactly how my box crashes BUT the crash log contains no information. Any thoughts on that?

Bat
05-03-12, 22:15
Hi,
Watching an FTA channel this evening when the phone rang. I went to turn the volume down but no response from box. Rebooted with mains switch. :rolleyes:
Log....

Anyone got any idea what's going on?
I've initialised the HDD and it's still empty.
No timers set until 23:20 ish tonight.
Help please :)

Cheers,

Sicilian
06-03-12, 07:15
Please answer the following: -

a) Did you flash fresh?
b) List ALL plugins self installed?
c) List exact EPG settings? Inc where your EPG is stored.
d) Make and model of USB stick if any?
e) Timeshift enabled yes or no?
f) Has HDD been fresh formatted with new image?
g) Has HDD been converted to EXT4 from old format/image?
i) Settings/bouquets used?
j) Did you re-scan satellites being used after transferring settings/bouquets?
k) Upon re-scanning did you set clear before scan to no?

Bat
06-03-12, 10:30
Hi,
Trying to be as helpful as poss, but some of it was a while ago...

A) Yes
B) None
C) No idea, I just use the standard one on the EPG button
D) None
E) PTS????
F) No, no mention of this in the instructions for the bootloader/image update ***Formatted in Duo Saturday***
G) Drive initialised as per "How to" on forum ***Did this Saturday***
H) Seagate (ST340014AS)
I) Slyfox 28.2
J) Can't remember if before or after or both. ***Done again today***
K) Set to Yes when I did it.

Cheers,

Hi,
Please see above :)
Cheers,

Sicilian
06-03-12, 10:35
To setup EPG correclty using Crossepg read here http://www.world-of-satellite.com/forumdisplay.php?165-CrossEPG-Support

PTS is timeshift, is it on or off? Are the timeshifts paths set correct?

Bat
06-03-12, 11:40
Hi,
Not using time shift.
EPG works fine, do I need to do anything with it :confused:
Cheers,

BadBoy
06-03-12, 12:37
A new box which I setup for sister went haywire yesterday. Out of the blue it lost its nameserver settings and each time you try to restart the box via the menu option it crashes. I will try to post the crash logs later tonight.

a) Did you flash fresh? yes
b) List ALL plugins self installed? none
c) List exact EPG settings? Inc where your EPG is stored. Crossepg daily at 6am, onto usb
d) Make and model of USB stick if any? sandisk
e) Timeshift enabled yes or no? yes
f) Has HDD been fresh formatted with new image? yes
g) Has HDD been converted to EXT4 from old format/image? not sure
i) Settings/bouquets used? yes
j) Did you re-scan satellites being used after transferring settings/bouquets? yes
k) Upon re-scanning did you set clear before scan to no? yes

Bat
06-03-12, 14:26
Hi,
I've checked the timeshift path and it's set to HDD/timeshift
Cheers,

edogg
06-03-12, 15:44
I have just found this thread and am also suffering random freezes yesterday my duo froze when changing channel from discovery to bbc 1 and today it has froze when trying to rewind in timeshift with ptm set after rebooting today it has crashed and i have sent the log enigma2_crash_1331044539.log quote 13310444696.29 this 2.3(204) image is very unstable i never had these problems with any other image the freezing is the most inconvenient because it does not cause any logs and they happen randomly when pausing recordings; changing channels stopping a recording are just some of the freezing that have happened to me also it continually unmounts usbs

edogg

Sicilian
06-03-12, 15:49
I have just found this thread and am also suffering random freezes yesterday my duo froze when changing channel from discovery to bbc 1 and today it has froze when trying to rewind in timeshift with ptm set after rebooting today it has crashed and i have sent the log enigma2_crash_1331044539.log quote 13310444696.29 this 2.3(204) image is very unstable i never had these problems with any other image the freezing is the most inconvenient because it does not cause any logs and they happen randomly when pausing recordings; changing channels stopping a recording are just some of the freezing that have happened to me also it continually unmounts usbs

edogg

When was the lat time you initialized your HDD? Did you initialize when you flashed fresh with VIX? Did you initialize your USB stick with VIX?

BadBoy
06-03-12, 21:20
I was unable to get the logs as I ended up installing black hole by mistake. However on a fresh install I can't get the box to boot without having to use the USB with image on it, it just seems to hang.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

lynd145
06-03-12, 21:29
hi all it seems to be sumthin to do with epg on usb. since ive takin my usb out of the stb and saved my epg to hdd its been rock solid i tried all sorts to solve it reinstall init hdd and usb and removed hdd and only when i removed the usb pendrive did the crashes stop hope this helps and bear with the vix team as there support is better than all the rest ive been at this game for a long time and this is the best support about by a country mile THANKS

spacemonkey
06-03-12, 22:32
i have the same issue on two Duo, no usb devices HDD (SATA DOM) formatted to EXT4

edogg
07-03-12, 09:14
hi my vu +duo vix 2.3(204) froze again last night while watching one recording another one started when it came to the end of the one i was watching it became unresponsive to the remote I had set the new recording to go into deep standby after the recording but it recorded 280 minutes instead of the 55mins the program was on for
enigma2_crash_1331090180.log was sent quote 1331107185.3
I am using the automatic sound adjustment plugin and rats DW channel updater
pts is set but recordings have priorty
I have a 500gb internal ex sky hdd
epg is in internalflash and is crossepg opentv 28.2
I use rats bouquets
I did a factory reset before doing a fresh install
no scan was done i just installed the bouquet

Sicilian
07-03-12, 10:02
hi my vu +duo vix 2.3(204) froze again last night while watching one recording another one started when it came to the end of the one i was watching it became unresponsive to the remote I had set the new recording to go into deep standby after the recording but it recorded 280 minutes instead of the 55mins the program was on for
enigma2_crash_1331090180.log was sent quote 1331107185.3
I am using the automatic sound adjustment plugin and rats DW channel updater
pts is set but recordings have priorty
I have a 500gb internal ex sky hdd
epg is in internalflash and is crossepg opentv 28.2
I use rats bouquets
I did a factory reset before doing a fresh install
no scan was done i just installed the bouquet

Thats one mistake straight away, its not recommend to store EPG in flash.

To be quite honest here, too many people find it easy to blame VIX instead of checking out their setup for mistakes.

Last 4 days I've been hammering a Duo trying replicate half of whats been mentioned in this thread to no avail.

My setup: -
Fresh flash of VIX.
Installed no extra plugins only a single softcam.
Initialize HDD straight away. Menu > Setup > System > Hard disk > Initialize. Then press blue button to view progress. Once complete check in Mount manager that the HDD is mounted to /media/hdd and reboot.
Setup bouquets.
Setup EPG as pere her http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?14373-How-to-setup-Crossepg-in-all-ViX-Images Only set to use OpenTV 28.2 and Rytec Italy through XEPGDB sources. All EPG settings left as default apart from whats stated in the guide.
EPG set to store on HDD.
Timeshift enabled.
Picons stored on HDD ( DO NOT STORE PICONS ON HDD UNLESS YOU HAVE TIMESHIFT ENABLED).
I've had numerous recordings enabled, used live rewind etc..., had zero issues. I set the Duo recording 3x HD channels while watching a third! Everything been 100% perfect.

From this morning I've change my setup for further testing: -
Added a Kingston 16GB G3 USB Stick. Inititialized the USB stick in the Duo itself so its EXT4. Then mounted to /media/USB.
Moved Picons to USB stick.
EPG now stored to USB stick.
Timeshift now set to /media/usb/timeshift (I created the timeshift directory in USB stick root). Note this can be problematic due to the speed of USB drives, but I'm going to test again anyway.
HDD now only used for recordings.

Again I say anyone having issues do the following: -
Fresh flash.
Re-initialize your HDD and any connected USB sticks, once initialized check they are mounted correctly in Mount Manager. Blue button > VIX > Mount manager and REBOOT.
Transfer settings and bouquets pack and re-scan used satellites by performing a single satellite scan and setting clear before scan to yes.
Setup Crossepg as per here http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?14373-How-to-setup-Crossepg-in-all-ViX-Images DO NOT STORE EPG TO FLASH AND ONLY SELECT EPG SOURCE THAT YOU WILL ACTUALLY USE! TOO MANY SOURCES WILL GIVE YOU MEMORY ISSUES!
Place picons on USB not HDD stick unless you have enabled timeshift to your HDD.

Too many users are just jumping on the band wagon in this thread instead of looking at their setup and what they have installed. I've tried for days to replicate some of these issues.

lynd145
07-03-12, 11:34
i think the biggest problem is peeps store to much epg data which is creating a big problem with memory but i can say though this seems to be more down to latest drivers not image as i never had a issue b4 but i got there in the end by just trying different things and.i just wished i could of gone back to the older drivers

Sicilian
07-03-12, 12:08
More info regards Crossepg: -

Running CrossEPG in flash will fill it up verry quickly and cause MAJOR issues, as even just using 28.2 as a data source can will use 60mb on first data pull, and grow each day, one of my receivers just using 28.2 is currently 102mb (this is the CrossEPG database NOT the epg.dat file).

b4ndit74
07-03-12, 13:02
Hi, if i reInitialize the hdd to try and stop playback freezes of recordings, it says all data on hdd will be wiped, does that mean ill lose all my recordings ? ive made a backup image as well.

Thanks

Sicilian
07-03-12, 13:08
Hi, if i reInitialize the hdd to try and stop playback freezes of recordings, it says all data on hdd will be wiped, does that mean ill lose all my recordings ? ive made a backup image as well.

Thanks

Yes, all data will be lost so backup your data first.

b4ndit74
07-03-12, 13:18
Thanks for that, I presume vix image and all the file system will still be on the hdd.

Sicilian
07-03-12, 13:25
Thanks for that, I presume vix image and all the file system will still be on the hdd.

The VIX image is on flash memory built into the motherboard of your receiver, not the HDD.

edogg
07-03-12, 13:30
When was the lat time you initialized your HDD? Did you initialize when you flashed fresh with VIX? Did you initialize your USB stick with VIX?

I last initialized my hdd when i did the install I have not initialized the usb because it was fat 32 and i only had picons on it but this image kept un-mounting the usb stick causing the box to crash when i changed channel

edogg
07-03-12, 13:41
I do not have usb sticks connected because they keep being un-mounted causing even more crashes and i repeat i never had these problems with 2.1 or 2.3 until the kernel update yesterday i had 3 freezes and 2 crashes for which i have sent the logs i have now moved the epg to the hdd where should i store the picons because i only put them where they are installed using the install picons from the menu plugins download plugins

b4ndit74
07-03-12, 15:44
Should I backup the entire hdd b4 initialising, Thanks :thumbsup:

bassethound
07-03-12, 15:47
Yes backup your hard drive if you are going to initialize it as the process will wipe the whole HDD

Zartmy
07-03-12, 16:50
I do not have usb sticks connected because they keep being un-mounted causing even more crashes and i repeat i never had these problems with 2.1 or 2.3 until the kernel update yesterday i had 3 freezes and 2 crashes for which i have sent the logs i have now moved the epg to the hdd where should i store the picons because i only put them where they are installed using the install picons from the menu plugins download plugins

Read http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?16650-Problems-with-ViX-2-3-crashes-and-using-USB-memory-read-this-first

b4ndit74
07-03-12, 20:17
Should a message appear on the duo once its finished initialising the hdd ?

Ta

Sicilian
07-03-12, 20:20

Ta

From live TV press Blue button and you will see the progress there. If you select the progress and press OK you will get the job view window that will tell you once complete.

edogg
07-03-12, 20:32
ok lets hope this has cured it now i have done as instructed new flash re-initialised usb and hdd but i now do not have picons showing even though i have ftp'ed them onto the ext4 usb

judge
07-03-12, 20:33

Ta
Yes, but only for a few seconds. It's easy to miss.

Sicilian
07-03-12, 20:50
ok lets hope this has cured it now i have done as instructed new flash re-initialised usb and hdd but i now do not have picons showing even though i have ftp'ed them onto the ext4 usb

Is the folder containing the picons named picon?

We can only make suggestions from our own experiance. Fingers crossed its sorts your issue.

Rob van der Does
08-03-12, 05:54
You'd best have a look at the mountmanager for the status of the devices.

Bat
08-03-12, 09:03

To be quite honest here, too many people find it easy to blame VIX instead of checking out their setup for mistakes.

Last 4 days I've been hammering a Duo trying replicate half of whats been mentioned in this thread to no avail.

Fresh flash of VIX.
Initialize HDD straight away. Menu > Setup > System > Hard disk > Initialize. Then press blue button to view progress. Once complete check in Mount manager that the HDD is mounted to /media/hdd and reboot.
Setup bouquets.
Setup EPG as pere her http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?14373-How-to-setup-Crossepg-in-all-ViX-Images Only set to use OpenTV 28.2 and Rytec Italy through XEPGDB sources. All EPG settings left as default apart from whats stated in the guide.
EPG set to store on HDD.
Timeshift enabled.
Picons stored on HDD ( DO NOT STORE PICONS ON HDD UNLESS YOU HAVE TIMESHIFT ENABLED).
I've had numerous recordings enabled, used live rewind etc..., had zero issues. I set the Duo recording 3x HD channels while watching a third! Everything been 100% perfect.

Added a Kingston 16GB G3 USB Stick. Inititialized the USB stick in the Duo itself so its EXT4. Then mounted to /media/USB.
Timeshift now set to /media/usb/timeshift (I created the timeshift directory in USB stick root). Note this can be problematic due to the speed of USB drives, but I'm going to test again anyway.

Fresh flash.
Re-initialize your HDD and any connected USB sticks, once initialized check they are mounted correctly in Mount Manager. Blue button > VIX > Mount manager and REBOOT.
Transfer settings and bouquets pack and re-scan used satellites by performing a single satellite scan and setting clear before scan to yes.
Setup Crossepg as per here http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?14373-How-to-setup-Crossepg-in-all-ViX-Images DO NOT STORE EPG TO FLASH AND ONLY SELECT EPG SOURCE THAT YOU WILL ACTUALLY USE! TOO MANY SOURCES WILL GIVE YOU MEMORY ISSUES!
Place picons on USB not HDD stick unless you have enabled timeshift to your HDD.

Too many users are just jumping on the band wagon in this thread instead of looking at their setup and what they have installed. I've tried for days to replicate some of these issues.

Hi,
I'm not getting stroppy here, but if some of these settings are so important why is there no mention of this in the post where you down load the image?

I've posted up, admittedly not all at once, the answer to all your questions.

I've had to do a complete fresh install Monday night as the box got into a crash loop.

I've since had it crash again since whilst browsing radio channels, first time I've ever done that.

The settings for EPG is the first I've heard about needing to set it up, it's always worked out of the box.

The same with picons, when they install it only asks for flash or HDD. I've read on here HDD isn't suitable as the box will pause whilst the HDD spins up. So from that and what you've posted above we should all have a USB stick installed?

I posted I haven't got a USB stick in the machine and I've not read that I needed to.

EDIT: I've got no crash logs for the occurances above as I've forgot to turn debug back on after the fresh install.

Cheers,

edogg
08-03-12, 09:54

yes after i rebooted the picons are showing

done both are were mounted hdd and usb stick

Setup EPG as pere her http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...all-ViX-Images Only set to use OpenTV 28.2 and Rytec Italy through XEPGDB sources. All EPG settings left as default apart from whats stated in the guide.

if this is so important for the running of this image why ? are there other settings that can cause problems If i buy a radio and it only works on bbc it should be pointed out before not after i have tried to tune it to heart

the facts are some users are having random crashes even changing channels have caused the image to freeze this to means this image is unstable before the the kernel update it was stable

Sicilian
08-03-12, 10:31
Hi,
I'm not getting stroppy here, but if some of these settings are so important why is there no mention of this in the post where you down load the image?

I agree, I feel your posting out of frustration :)

I've since had it crash again since whilst browsing radio channels, first time I've ever done that.

We need the crash log.

The settings for EPG is the first I've heard about needing to set it up, it's always worked out of the box.

Yes it does with some satellites, but not 28.2.

The same with picons, when they install it only asks for flash or HDD. I've read on here HDD isn't suitable as the box will pause whilst the HDD spins up. So from that and what you've posted above we should all have a USB stick installed?

Its fine to have them in flash, but personally I prefer to keep on USB stick or HDD if timeshift is enabled.

I posted I haven't got a USB stick in the machine and I've not read that I needed to.
Cheers,
Gavin :)[/QUOTE]

You dont have to have a USB stick, providing everythings is set correctly.

yes after i rebooted the picons are showing

done both are were mounted hdd and usb stick

Setup EPG as pere her http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...all-ViX-Images Only set to use OpenTV 28.2 and Rytec Italy through XEPGDB sources. All EPG settings left as default apart from whats stated in the guide.

if this is so important for the running of this image why ? are there other settings that can cause problems If i buy a radio and it only works on bbc it should be pointed out before not after i have tried to tune it to heart

the facts are some users are having random crashes even changing channels have caused the image to freeze this to means this image is unstable before the the kernel update it was stable

Please remember you are using enthusiasts third party firmware. Not official firmware. You need to be prepared to tweak/change settings to suit your needs. If you want a satellite receiver that is just plug and play then you should have purchased a non linux receiver or a something like a Humax Foxsat.

As I've said before, I've tired desperatly (and am still trying) the last week to replicate issues being posted by a handful of users, but unfortunatly I've not been able to replicate them so far. We can not account or be held responsible for user error. Out of frustration too many users are finding it far too easy to blame VIX or the new kernel.

lynd145
08-03-12, 11:28
i went home last nite and thought id have a play to see if i could make it crash and it did alls i did was put 1 more epg rytec provider to the list and it crashed big time so much so i could not even ftp into the box and powering down and back on would not work still could not see me duo on the network i was runnining vix2.3 build 204 cccam2.2.1 sgt flipflops bouqets and xmlepg on the hard drive with rytec bbci rytec sky uk and just added another rytec source just to see what would happen out of curiosity. so could all of this be down to memory as i understand ur epg still as to use memory even though its on a hard drive or usb ????????????????????????????

Sicilian
08-03-12, 11:33
i went home last nite and thought id have a play to see if i could make it crash and it did alls i did was put 1 more epg rytec provider to the list and it crashed big time so much so i could not even ftp into the box and powering down and back on would not work still could not see me duo on the network i was runnining vix2.3 build 204 cccam2.2.1 sgt flipflops bouqets and xmlepg on the hard drive with rytec bbci rytec sky uk and just added another rytec source just to see what would happen out of curiosity. so could all of this be down to memory as i understand ur epg still as to use memory even though its on a hard drive or usb ????????????????????????????

The more sources you add the more system ram is used when downloading.

I recommend just using opentv sources for 28.2 and then using the rytec sources through XEPGDB, rytec sources are much faster through XEPGDB. Only use the sources that you actually use/need.

lynd145
08-03-12, 12:25
thats what i did cuz i had to reflash the box i just wanted to prove sumthin and hope it helps others on the forum to understand that u cant just go and use every plugin and epg provider its like any computer the more progs u run the more it struggles and crashes hope this helps

edogg
08-03-12, 12:54
"Please remember you are using enthusiasts third party firmware. Not official firmware. You need to be prepared to tweak/change settings to suit your needs. If you want a satellite receiver that is just plug and play then you should have purchased a non linux receiver "

I was told by pheonix "that my set up was wrong" and now you say i should tweak/change settings to suit my needs which is right only use the setting as it comes or are we able to tweak/change settings in the epg the previous kernel did not have these random crash problems with epg settings and plugins installed

Sicilian
08-03-12, 14:09
"Please remember you are using enthusiasts third party firmware. Not official firmware. You need to be prepared to tweak/change settings to suit your needs. If you want a satellite receiver that is just plug and play then you should have purchased a non linux receiver "

I was told by pheonix "that my set up was wrong" and now you say i should tweak/change settings to suit my needs which is right only use the setting as it comes or are we able to tweak/change settings in the epg the previous kernel did not have these random crash problems with epg settings and plugins installed

I am merely replying to your post, I've no idea to which thread/post you refer to that pheonix advised your setup was wrong. What exactly are you asking or is your issue, please be clear.

edogg
08-03-12, 14:23
it was in answer to this crash log enigma2_crash_1331090180.log quote 1331107185.3 post #85/#86 pheonix said i should not store epg on internal flash

Sicilian
08-03-12, 14:26
it was in answer to this crash log enigma2_crash_1331090180.log quote 1331107185.3 post #85/#86 pheonix said i should not store epg on internal flash

Yes thats correct, consistent with what I've posted in this thread and here http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?14373-How-to-setup-Crossepg-in-all-ViX-Images

lynd145
08-03-12, 15:18
i do agree with edogg that b4 the kernal update i had no probs at all with epg or box crashing and i used to have 4 different rytec providers downloaded on my epg is there a way to go back to the previous kernal just so i could have a play and test just to see if it is the kernal i would luv to know if so a how to would be nice please ??????????????????????

Sicilian
08-03-12, 15:23
i do agree with edogg that b4 the kernal update i had no probs at all with epg or box crashing and i used to have 4 different rytec providers downloaded on my epg is there a way to go back to the previous kernal just so i could have a play and test just to see if it is the kernal i would luv to know if so a how to would be nice please ??????????????????????

Just download and install older image.

edogg
09-03-12, 09:59
Ok I have had it up and running after the fresh install and reinitialised hdd and usb yesterday evening the usb disconnected so i lost the picons again tried the cure from here http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?16650-Problems-with-ViX-2-3-crashes-and-using-USB-memory-read-this-first
at least the duo hasn't crashed yet will report back if usb is cured or get crash/freeze problems

edogg
10-03-12, 13:29
Ok I have had it up and running after the fresh install and reinitialised hdd and usb yesterday evening the usb disconnected so i lost the picons again tried the cure from here http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?16650-Problems-with-ViX-2-3-crashes-and-using-USB-memory-read-this-first
at least the duo hasn't crashed yet will report back if usb is cured or get crash/freeze problems

I have not had any problems at all since following post #86 in here i now have picons and epg.dat stored on my usb stick with no un-mounts :)

edit just tried to timeshift the sky at night and the box rebooted timeshift is set to permanent hdd/timeshift no logs were generated

edogg
11-03-12, 10:10
I have not had any problems at all since following post #86 in here i now have picons and epg.dat stored on my usb stick with no un-mounts :)

edit just tried to timeshift the sky at night and the box rebooted timeshift is set to permanent hdd/timeshift no logs were generated

I have set the hdd to no standby and now the timeshift works without the box rebooting

edogg
12-03-12, 16:53
I had a crash/reboot this morning when trying to select heart radio station crash log sent

edogg
13-03-12, 10:33
had yet another re-boot problem last night after watching a media file I pressed stop then red to delete the file and the box went into a re-boot I have sent the crash log

richca
13-03-12, 16:10
hi all, im having the same problem with at least 2 reboots a day, sometimes without even using it, i can go out to work and when i come back i notice i have no epg, therefore realising that i have had a reboot.

is there anything i can do to remedy this, as it is very annoying, especially when you want to record something when i am out

thanks

edogg
14-03-12, 09:19
Hi richca have you tried the usb fix here http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?16650-Problems-with-ViX-2-3-crashes-and-using-USB-memory-read-this-first it does cure the crashes caused by the usb memory going to sleep
I am still waiting for someone to be able to replicate the random crashes being caused by changing channels and watching xvid files

Rob van der Does
14-03-12, 11:39
.....I am still waiting for someone to be able to replicate the random crashes being caused by changing channels........
We are in the process of it. The crashes being random make fixing difficult, as you will understand.
Nevertheless it looks like we found a possible cause & solution: testing that I wasn't able to get any crash any more. So please keep an eye on this: the next update will contain this possible fix.

Tryharder
14-03-12, 16:23
May sound a daft question but how do you post the crashlogs from the stb onto here.....Do you just type into the thread reply????

rgds.Tryharder

Larry-G
14-03-12, 17:35
May sound a daft question but how do you post the crashlogs from the stb onto here.....Do you just type into the thread reply????

rgds.Tryharder

you can either press the go advanced button while making your post and uplaod the file here ( either compressed with winrar or in .txt format ) or you can upload it directly from your receiver via the inbuilt logs manager option, if you use this option please fill in your details and e-mail address so that we can track the error.

thank you.

edogg
15-03-12, 09:33
We are in the process of it. The crashes being random make fixing difficult, as you will understand.
Nevertheless it looks like we found a possible cause & solution: testing that I wasn't able to get any crash any more. So please keep an eye on this: the next update will contain this possible fix.

Hi rob I understand that the crashes being random makes it difficult to even find the cause i really wasn't having a knock I was just stating that some crashes were because of the usb being un-mounted and the fix was in my link, but the random crashes were being looked into

Bat
15-03-12, 09:59
Hi,
Mine crashed out on the timer again last night. There was 2 recordings one after each other on the same channel. Crash occured roughly on change over. Sorry can't find any logs on the box :(
Cheers,

Rob van der Does
15-03-12, 10:28
Even with a log finding a cause (and a fix) is difficult enough; without one it's impossible.

Bat
15-03-12, 10:50
Hi,
I would imagine it's near enough the same as the other logs I've posted in this thread from when it crashed last time. Someone seemed to think it was to do with a USB tuner which I don't have installed?????
Certainly there were lots of lines listed on the screen with Python in them...
Cheers,

edogg
16-03-12, 09:22
Hi bat, do you have an USB flash drive with either picons or epg data stored on it connected? If so use the link I posted in post 122 to fix the USB causing reboots and freezes. It fixed the problem for me and the channel change problem is being looked into by Rob and the team.

Tryharder
16-03-12, 17:28
hope iv'e done this right :confused: Please could you confirm whether or not i have...

rgds. Tryharder

punisher
16-03-12, 18:12
hope iv'e done this right :confused: Please could you confirm whether or not i have...

rgds. Tryharder

What is it u are trying to do? Seems to be a lot of fails in that log coming from motor moving so not sure

Tryharder
17-03-12, 11:33
Sorry to be confusing mate....But I have a Clark-tech et9000 Tuner A is motorised and Tuner B is on 28e.........I am just learning my way around it so i dare say 1 or 2 maybe because of me playing around ( I have put a new bootlogo on it an epg and picons ) so there may well be a mish mash of crash logs. However now that I know how to post them I will upload the ones that have taken place since updating to the latest Vix Image and installing Project Valerie. The majority of crashes being something to do with recording as a couple have said the USB was full when the path for storing is actually on a 1T internal HDD with 800gig still free:( anyway i will upload those crash logs asap and hopefully they will be more helpful to you and the team....

Thanks for all your work..

Rgds. Tryharder

Bat
19-03-12, 09:59
Hi,
No USB flash drive in use.
Cheers,

edogg
20-03-12, 09:12
well it has been over a week now since my last crash I used the usb fix and have set permanent time shift on and also hdd is set to standby after 5mins so i hope it has now stabilised

BadBoy
20-03-12, 14:00
I did the opposite, removed USB altogether and stored epg, picon and timeshift on hard drive.

Its much faster when flicking through channels.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Bat
20-03-12, 19:41
Hi,
More crashes,
More logs...
Any that say the disc is full is due to an abandonded timeshift file of 13Gb! :eek: Why hasn't it deleted it? :confused:

Cheers,

punisher
20-03-12, 20:55
yeh theres no space, where are u trying to record to again and where is your epg stored? your epg seems to be crashing when polling too, how many satellites u use for epg?

Bat
22-03-12, 20:46
Hi,
EPG is set up as per post on this thread somewhere.
EPG info is on HDD.
Why was there a 13Gb timeshift file on there though?
Cheers,

punisher
22-03-12, 21:32
really not too sure why. do you use permanent timeshift?

Bat
23-03-12, 21:00
Hi,
No I only use it as and when.
Cheers,

edogg
24-03-12, 09:41
It was all going well then last night during the sport relief at 10:00 pm I changed channel to BBC hd and then at 10:30 I tried to change too BBC1 hd and the duo crashed and restarted I have sent the log file
I really thought this problem was cured

BadBoy
25-03-12, 13:29
That's exactly 7days and now my duo crashed once again.

Only way to revive it each time is a fresh image install.

No additional plugins and USB. Happened whilst watching a recording.

What's a stable image other than Vix on the new kernel?

edogg
27-03-12, 13:09
froze last night when trying to change from audio with narration to dolby audio on bbc hd I had to reboot to get control with the remote back

GiP
27-03-12, 13:34
froze last night when trying to change from audio with narration to dolby audio on bbc hd I had to reboot to get control with the remote back
The same happened to me while watching a recording, but I wasn't interacting with the DUO, just watrching. The screen went black and the DUO didn't respond anymore to the remote (but the little light that acknowledge the command worked). I had to switch it off for 30sec and on again to get it back (no crashlog).

First time something like this happened, in any version of VIX , I have the latest now.

G

edogg
28-03-12, 09:27

could these freezes be caused by the key press storage not being cleared as for instance i had pressed tv>>down 3 times>>hd channels>>down twice>>audio>> down once>>ok as i was changing from bbc1 to bbchd which had the dialogue audio on and i wanted dolby audio

this equals 10 key presses consecutively

Joe90
28-03-12, 13:11
I also had these start happening a lot. do you use CrosEPG with several feeds? Once I reflashed dont have problem, as size of EPG db was quite big and now is small it may be down to lack of memory and the lack of memory seems to be being experienced by others. (I even have a swap file).

edogg
29-03-12, 09:15
@joe90 I use crossepg for just 28.2e and after i reflashed and re-initialized the harddrive it ran well for quite some time before the crashes and freezing started again

gordyboy
29-03-12, 11:22
still freezing randomly for me so switching to another image until sorted

edogg
31-03-12, 11:46
my duo crashed again this morning after scanning through the epg and selecting men+motors then pressing blue and crossepg downloader the epg started and immediately the duo went to the loading page it restarted with no soun and was unresponsive to the remote
the ref is 1333190465.43

Sicilian
31-03-12, 12:08
my duo crashed again this morning after scanning through the epg and selecting men+motors then pressing blue and crossepg downloader the epg started and immediately the duo went to the loading page it restarted with no soun and was unresponsive to the remote
the ref is 1333190465.43

How many epg sources do you have selected and where is it stored?

edogg
01-04-12, 09:21
How many epg sources do you have selected and where is it stored?

I only have 1 epg source and it is stored on a usb stick to which i have applied the fix to prevent it being put to sleep I think the problem is related to the remote key press buffer as the crashes and freezing are after a certain amount of key presses

mateoosh
01-04-12, 15:52
Hi,

I had similar problem described in this thread:

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?15262-interesting-issue-box-hangs-during-stand-by&highlight=mateoosh

maybe yours are related to this "time wrap" issue as well ?

I was unable to sort it out on my STB and finally moved to VTI, which works (sad to say) far more stable, even using buggy HD-Glass skin.

VTI lacks lot of useful functions comparing to VIX, but finally I don't have to check if my box crashed during record, standby etc.

Anyway I love VIX and for sure will return when all the issues will be resolved.

edogg
03-04-12, 09:48
This morning after the automatic epg update the duo had no sound and was unresponsive to the remote I had to reboot from the mains to get sound and control back

dymebox
04-04-12, 09:30
I also experience many of the issues in this thread on my Duo.

1.) The EPG crashes every other day. I have one source set (OpenTV) and scheduled to download at 4am. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and I have to manually re-download. EPG is stored on USB.

2.) Every now and again the box will crash. This will usually happen when powering on from standby and something is recording. Only way out is to reboot.

3.) Sometimes the box is unresponsive to the remote. The only way to get it working is a hard reboot.

4.) Sometimes when powering on from standby a channel will have no sound. If I then change channel it comes back.

Despite all these problems I'm sticking with VIX, frankly because its still the best image regardless of the recent issues. And even though the missus is chewing my ear off about the problems!

Keep up the good work VIX team... I'm hoping for a new improved version soon!

judge
04-04-12, 12:20
Which OpenTV source are you using? & are you sure it's the only one downloading?

Bat
04-04-12, 20:29
Hi,
My crashes mostly occur when watching a recording and something starts to record via timer. This will happen when using internal HDD or NAS for both playback and recording. Will someone PLEASE tell me what's wrong!
Logs attached...

Cheers,
Gavin

BadBoy
04-04-12, 21:47
Mine crashed again, for the second time it has taken 7 days to crash.

I think the box needs a reboot if there is some sort of memory leak.

judge
04-04-12, 22:10
Setting my box to do a full reboot every morning eliminated most of the VIX 2.3 crashes for me.
Menu/Setup/VIX/Power Manager

Other than that, if you have too much or corrupt EPG being processed, it will also crash the box.

BadBoy
04-04-12, 23:04
Setting my box to do a full reboot every morning eliminated most of the VIX 2.3 crashes for me.

Other than that, if you have too much or corrupt EPG being processed, it will also crash the box.

That is what I am going to setup, daily reboot. Always had a single epg and no other plugins now all running off HD

dymebox
05-04-12, 11:08
Which OpenTV source are you using? & are you sure it's the only one downloading?

Only one for 28.2.

I presume before the EPG is due to download?

I'll try setting it up and see how it goes.

edogg
07-04-12, 11:01
I always start my box every morning as I don't leave anything on standby I can't afford the electricity it costs

edogg
09-04-12, 09:45
last night while i was watching a recording my granddaughter pressed the blue button and the duo started from the loading screen and the this morning while i was watching a recording the duo became unresponsive to the remote no logs were generated

bally12345
09-04-12, 10:06
I also experience many of the issues in this thread on my Duo.

1.) The EPG crashes every other day. I have one source set (OpenTV) and scheduled to download at 4am. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and I have to manually re-download. EPG is stored on USB.

2.) Every now and again the box will crash. This will usually happen when powering on from standby and something is recording. Only way out is to reboot.

3.) Sometimes the box is unresponsive to the remote. The only way to get it working is a hard reboot.

4.) Sometimes when powering on from standby a channel will have no sound. If I then change channel it comes back.

Despite all these problems I'm sticking with VIX, frankly because its still the best image regardless of the recent issues. And even though the missus is chewing my ear off about the problems!

Keep up the good work VIX team... I'm hoping for a new improved version soon!

Experiencing the exact same issues, only noticed it about a month or so ago but never really thought much of it. Used to use rytec for epg stored on internal memory but now switched to opentv downloading only 28.2 as im on fixed dish to hdd. Need to dig out a spare usb I think... Also will set Duo to reboot once a day I think see if that stops the problem. The thing with that is EPG is set to download at 4am so if I reboot I have to force epg reload?

Bat
09-04-12, 12:07
Hi,
Bally...Set the reboot to occur before EPG download?

I've experienced Edogg's problem and numbers 2-4 of Dymebox's and I've posted numerous crash logs in this post and sent them in direct from the box.

The thing that bothers me about this post is various people are having various problems, but I'm not seeing much mention of fixes.... :(

Cheers,

Larry-G
09-04-12, 12:15
Hi,

I've experienced Edogg's problem and numbers 2-4 of Dymebox's and I've posted numerous crash logs in this post and sent them in direct from the box.

The thing that bothers me about this post is various people are having various problems, but I'm not seeing much mention of fixes.... :(

Cheers,

Every bug report or debug / crash log we receive is looked into, you may not have seen any mention of fixes but for example were currently on Build 280 of the beta image where as the current latest public image is 204, so you can do the maths on that one. dont worry were not ignoring you and every single log you have sent us has been read, i know as every member of the beta team has all of these logs re-directed to our own inboxes when you send them.

Rob van der Does
09-04-12, 13:56
For the Solo, DUO and ET5000 the best way seems to activate a swap-file if you use Cross-EPG.
For XMLTV-import this shouldn't be needed (as during the download & parsing process a temp. swap is activated).

bally12345
09-04-12, 14:05
Hi,

Cheers,

As already mentioned it is being looked in to but I doubt it will be possible to report back on every individual crash log. Try adding swap file and auto reboot and im sure it will be fixed in next update.

dymebox
09-04-12, 15:46
Well I've had the box rebooting before downloading the EPG every morning for the past few days. It has been much more stable and reliable. I haven't had to download the EPG manually since.

My box does a full reboot at 4:00am, goes to standby at 4:15am, and downloads the EPG at 5:00am.

Rob van der Does
09-04-12, 16:28
Well I've had the box rebooting before downloading the EPG every morning for the past few days. It has been much more stable and reliable. I haven't had to download the EPG manually since.

My box does a full reboot at 4:00am, goes to standby at 4:15am, and downloads the EPG at 5:00am.
probably because this gives you some extra free memory at the time of EPG-import. You might very well get the same result when using a swap-file.

edogg
14-04-12, 12:56
"probably because this gives you some extra free memory at the time of EPG-import. You might very well get the same result when using a swap-file."

i tried using a swap file but,Last night while watching a downloaded film i paused it to go to the kitchen when i returned the box was unresponsive to the remote so i had to restart it and then jump the movie forward to where it had been paused this is the second time this error has occurred since updating to 2.3(204) 3.1.1

Rob van der Does
14-04-12, 13:08
I'm not sure if you encountered the same problem. The real 'out of memory-status' (a.o. caused by a too demanding EPG-import) leads to a system restart, not to a 'frozen' box.

Bat
14-04-12, 15:44
Hi,
Crashed with 4am showing on the front of the box, the same time the EPG downloads....
Only 28.2 from open TV is set up in EPG

Cheers,
Gavin

ILM16
15-04-12, 12:13
I'm having crashes with the EPG too.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?15497-Parsing&p=127989

Any help would be appreciated.

edogg
16-04-12, 09:50
I'm not sure if you encountered the same problem. The real 'out of memory-status' (a.o. caused by a too demanding EPG-import) leads to a system restart, not to a 'frozen' box.

Ok thanks just thought i would try that as I have tried everything else but last another freeze happened when trying to reverse a recording back as missed what they had said but the video went back and the audio went into a loop then the box became unresponsive so i turned it off and went to bed this morning it started up but would not answer to the remote

ILM16
20-05-12, 12:12
Still getting constant crashes whilst downloading EPG data, it's so frustrating and there doesn't seem to be a fix/help.

Rob van der Does
20-05-12, 12:13
Still getting constant crashes whilst downloading EPG data, it's so frustrating and there doesn't seem to be a fix/help.
I would suggest to upgrade to ViX 2.4 and set the epg.dat location to internal HDD (if available).

Larry-G
20-05-12, 12:14

is this with ViX 2.3 ? or have you upgraded to ViX 2.4 ?.

please provide a little more information.

ILM16
20-05-12, 12:20
I would suggest to upgrade to ViX 2.4 and set the epg.dat location to internal HDD (if available).

is this with ViX 2.3 ? or have you upgraded to ViX 2.4 ?.

please provide a little more information.

I've just seen ViX 2.4, I'll update shortly. :D

Guy
23-05-12, 19:29

Hi mate, doesn't this keep the HDD spinning up too much? My current setup is EPG on a 16gb USB stick, recordings and timeshift onto internal HDD..

I also have it set to Restart at 0300, download epg at 0400 and Restart GUI at 0500. It was often locking up with ''starting....'' showing on the display at the 0500 step.

My dads is the same setup, he doesnt get the starting... lock ups.
however his box has just encoutnered a fault that comes up everytime he tries to record.

both on 2.3...
regards

Rob van der Does
23-05-12, 20:51
Hi mate, doesn't this keep the HDD spinning up too much? My current setup is EPG on a 16gb USB stick, recordings and timeshift onto internal HDD..
No, as EPG is always kept in live-memory (RAM).
epg.dat is a kind of hibernate-file: on stopping Enigma de file is written, on Enigma startup the file is being read.

tzampa
20-09-12, 18:03
I tried to follow this helpful guide but when I try to go to menu setup set up system, the option for hard disk isn't listed. This is after I reflashed the box with the latest vix image (3.0). Is there a way to format the hard drive on the box using FTP or ther functions? I know the hard drive is there as I can hear it spin away.......

Fresh flash of VIX.
Setup bouquets.
EPG set to store on HDD.
Timeshift enabled.

Fresh flash.

basilyoung
20-09-12, 18:08
this thread, that you have posted in, is an old thread, relating to an old image, you will do best to start a new thread, as this one is also very long on post count